Worth Watching: Uth Jawana by Soch Band

Posted on February 17, 2011
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, Society

I am sorry I did not hear this song before (this version aired back in July 2010). I am very glad that I finally got to do so after a friend forwarded it to me. Give it a listen. Give it a thought.

The singer is Adnan from the ‘underground’ band (I am not sure that is) Soch. The song certainly made me think. The show is Hasan Nisar’s Choraha, which is always good for an engaging (albeit opinionated) conversation and sometimes for uncovering musical gems.

P.S. This is an edited version of the song. In the show, after the song ends Hasan Nisar points out that dulhans in Pakistan are no longer happy with a 1 Lakh Ruppee lehnga. So, Adnan sings that stanza again, changing the price to Rs. 5 Lakhs!

13 Comments on “Worth Watching: Uth Jawana by Soch Band”

1. Jabbar says:
    February 17th, 2011 3:51 am

Another wonderful find.
    Every line hit a chord in my heart.

2. IMTIAZ says:
    February 17th, 2011 4:02 am

This is addictive. have heard it 3 times one after the other.
    The music is ok and the voice is OK and even poetry is also only ok. But the real beauty of this is that it is so authentic. He is talking about all the things I talk about. Excellent.

3. IMTIAZ says:
    February 17th, 2011 4:03 am

By the way. Does this group have an album out. Would love to hear more from this guy.

4. Anwer says:
    February 17th, 2011 4:39 am

This is beautiful.

5. Yasir says:
    February 17th, 2011 5:25 am

Very thoughtful song. Nice find.
    I like the positiveness of the “Uth Jawana” message and also the realistic sense of the problems.

6. Zubair says:
    February 17th, 2011 5:55 am

Beautifuuuul!
    Best part is about the journolists his tongue in cheek remark about sahafees saving the country!

7. Naan Haleem says:
    February 17th, 2011 7:13 pm

“Uth Jawaana…”

How many modern day INTELLECTUALS really want the nation to rise up? It is these representatives of secular elite which the common people despise.

why? because it is this very elite which has ruled and corrupted the country in one form or the other (feudal, industrialist, military, bureaucracy and diesel selling fazloos). These pseudo intellectuals only desire projection and connection with American policy makers. They make fun of Imran Khan when he motivates youngsters to brace themselves for revolution. They are irritated by judiciary when for the first time in history it is trying to round up the looters and corrupt. They criticise the media when it exposes the fraudulent people and practices suffered by common people of Pakistan.

So first lets decide who are we calling to rise, for what motive and against which element(s)?

8. Sajjad Junaidi says:
    February 18th, 2011 4:16 am

Adil Bhai, thanks for sharing. Very nice indeed. I end up watching few of his songs on youtube. You always do this to me, you just put one link on Pakistaniat and I end up spending an hour on youtube.

9. Ghani says:
    February 18th, 2011 8:01 am

This is very nice. Real real ‘awami’ feel to the song.

10. Shahid says:
    February 18th, 2011 12:12 pm

A brilliant song. We need to celebrate Pakistan more often while being fully aware of teh problems it has right now. This song does it very well.

Please join this fb Group which I found to be truly Pakistani and celebrating Pakistan all the way!

11. February 18th, 2011 1:33 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “so coooooool-(((((”
    - “So very true, pak young youth should learn from this song. Very nice & beautiful lyric.”
    - “what a beautiful song. Thanks for sharing”
    - “beautiful song. well done. thanks for sharing.”
    - “Great song. Touched my heart. This song and these young people are why I have great faith in Pakistan.”

12. Azra says:
    February 23rd, 2011 9:25 am

The line about the bidal lehnga is amazing. Its not the government. Its all of us. Really, every time I go to a wedding and hear everyone cribbing about how expensive things are in all that waste surrounding them. It makes me puke.

13. Jobs in Pakistan says:
    February 25th, 2011 9:23 am

The biggest problem of our youth is unemployment. They don’t have any jobs. If we cover this problem our culture, our economy, our thinking will be changed and all problems that are mention will be in the songs will solved and we rise as the leading Nation of the World.