Picture of the Day: The Loads We Carry

Posted on January 26, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Photo of the Day, Society
15 Comments
Total Views: 23379

Adil Najam

Found this picture on Metroblog Lahore. The title there was ‘Only in Lahore.’ I find the picture captivating. Love the expression on his face. Love the composition. Even the shirt is interesting.

Some of the early commenters on this at Metroblog Lahore seemed appalled that he would carry the ‘desi style’ squat toilet bowl on his head. I wondered why they were appalled? Maybe its out schisms of paki-napaki.

It seems clear from the picture that even though the ceramic contraption on his head may one day be used as a toilet bowl, but it is a new unit (despite the layer of dust on it). What it might be eventually be used for is irrelevant; right now it could be a piece of Ming China for all he cares. The point for him, I am sure, is that this is a heavy piece of ceramic and this is not a bad way to carry it across a distance.

Anyhow, the paragraphs above are a good example of over-analysis. My bad.

Sometimes a picture is just a picture. A man with a pot on his head is just a man with a pot on his head. And a cool shirt is just a cool shirt. So let us leave it at that.

Unless, of course, someone has an interesting and funny title to suggest for this.

P.S. By the way, Lahore wallas, can you identify where in Lahore this picture was taken (note the building behind him).

Related Posts with Thumbnails

15 responses to “Picture of the Day: The Loads We Carry”

  1. Naan Haleem says:

    Sorry for (very) late comment. But i came across this post just today. This picture was taken in Shah Alam Market (Shaalmi as it is called). The building in the background is a primary school just opposite to famous D-point parking plaza. The person is moving towards the Saraafa Bazar (gold market) and may further go to either Rang Mahal or Masti Gate.

  2. ilyas says:

    How much simple people we are? innocent, these are realy pakistanian. basically poor pakistanian working eating and sleeping. Awaiting for a day which will change their fate.

    This picture shows the reality about mind, nature, bahaviour of 98% of our Pakisani people. How much simple they are. How much blunder and clever is remaining 2%.

  3. […] I recieved a couple of emails with this picture today, and then saw it poste by Vaqas on Metroblog Lahore (see earlier picture here). A great picture by Awais Lodhi. We at ATP have a long-standing fascination with rickshaws (here, here, here, here an here). But, this, of course, is about political commentary, not just about rickshaws. […]

  4. Sara Malik says:

    Lol. the picture is so funny, and so is Asma’s comment… dishwasher safe toilet? yuck!!!! Thank God they dont fit in toilets… just think of the consequences… just you think it!!!

  5. sunnilink says:

    The expression on his face is priceless! :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*