Happy Mother’s Day Pakistan

Posted on May 11, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Society, Women
Total Views: 20446

Today is Mother’s Day.

Everyday should be a day to cherish and to honor what our mothers do for us. But it is good that on one day at least we take a few minutes out to think of that which can sometime become so routine that it becomes easy to forget. So, today, and for all the times when all of us might have forgotten to say so, we say “Happy Mother’s Day” to all.

Since we have been talking about old Pakistani Ads at ATP, it is only fitting that what I have to share with you today is also an Ad; from something called ZONG. I must say that I find the narration a little over done but the sentiment (even if not the poetic craft) is not just appropriate but also moving.

But in terms of what is being discussed on ATP today, maybe the more pertinent post is the one on domestic violence against women. It is mothers who are the victims of this violence. Let their fate not be forgotten today. Or on any day.

One of the most moving song on the subject that I know of is Abrar-ul-Haq’s Maan. It never fails to move me. Mother’s day or not. Unfortunately, I did not find a good video of it on YouTube, so please listen to (and not as much watch) the video below:

But the theme of mothers as stalwarts of support and strength is not a new one. It is one that has been expressed so many times, in so many ways. As it should be. Take a listen to Hamid Ali Bela singing Maee ni meiN kinnu aakhaN.

20 Comments on “Happy Mother’s Day Pakistan”

1. Q.S. says:
    May 11th, 2008 3:41 pm

very nice sentiments and good selection of songs. I also like the second one.

2. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    May 11th, 2008 4:07 pm

@ No one has ever forgotten his/her mother, there is
    no logic in fixing a mother’s day atleast in Pakistan or
    any “poor” muslim society where you don’t have to
    fix a rendez-vous to visit ” old age house ” for abandoned
    old folks to kiss your mother and bring flowers or gifts on
    mother’s day, everyday is a mother’s day.

Wajood-e-mader-e-Insa’n, baat nehein kal ki,
    Yeh to Ka’ainat hay, aur kul bhi hay Ka’ainat ki
    Rafay Kashmiri

3. Rasheed says:
    May 11th, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks, Adil, for keeping us involved, entertained and refreshed with valuable memories of the past ……..

“Yaad-i Maazee Azaab Hai Yaaro
    CHeen Lay Mujh Say Haafizah May-ra … “!

Your readers might “enjoy” a link to Anwar Mas’ood’s Punjabi poem “Ambri” (mother), although it might be emotionally too strong for some to handle – it makes you cry even if you’ve heard it before. His Punjabi poems including Ambri can be listened to at:

Also pertinent would be a reference to a great book “Mayree Waalidah” (My Mother) by the late Sir Muhammad Zafrullah Khan, a great servant of Pakistan who was nicely featured earlier on ATP.

Keep up the great work and Happy Mothers’ Day to all Pakistani mothers, although I agree that for us, every day should be Mothers’ Day!

4. May 11th, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks Rasheed for the kind words. And also for the Ambri reminder. We actually did write about it and link o a recording of it, here (go down to right before the first video). It really is a masterpiece. As I write there this poem (which is on domestic violence, son-on-mother) is amongst the very best of Anwar Masood’s work. It is a truly powerful and amazing poem.

5. Mehdi says:
    May 12th, 2008 12:13 am

Excellent Post Dr Najam…

All I can add is this link..:-)

6. Mehdi says:
    May 12th, 2008 12:13 am

sorry here it is http://www.tohfay.com

7. Daktar says:
    May 12th, 2008 12:59 am

What is ZONG?

Nice poem in that first video.

8. Moeen says:
    May 12th, 2008 2:06 am

Sorry Adil, I didn’t even read your post, all I saw was the title. This is not a part of Pakistani Culture. Let the west celebrate basant, chand raat, fireworks on shabe baraat etc and I’ll be the first one to celebrate this day. I’m sure, one of these days, we’ll celebrate X-Mas, Hanukkah etc; and why not, these are good times for showing ‘family love.’

9. ASIM says:
    May 12th, 2008 2:55 am

Dear Mr. Moeed, no offence meant but maybe you should read the post first rather than commenting on a headline. You may be surprised by the content. I was.

Otherwise Adil Najam will again have to ask “Do Pskistanis read?” ;-)

10. Moeen says:
    May 12th, 2008 10:08 am

Asim: I did read the post. My only point is that celebrating Mother’s Day has nothing to do with Pakistani Culture.

11. Qadir says:
    May 12th, 2008 12:09 pm

Moeen, since when is respecting mothers not part of our culture. That is all that the day is about!

I guess you are also against celebrating birthdays or even remembering them and putting them in documents. Since that also is not part of our “culture”.

Nor is using a computer!

12. Farrukh says:
    May 12th, 2008 4:27 pm

Nice post. Thanks.

I also think that this argument about Mothers Day is not “Pakistani culture” is a bogus one. How many other things do we do that are really Pakistani culture. And respect for mothers and love for mothers is certainly my culture.

13. Moeen says:
    May 12th, 2008 11:26 pm

I never said ‘Respecting Mothers is not part of our culture”; using computers has nothing to do with culture, anyone can see that. Birthdays has always been celebrated in Pakistan. But Mothers day, fathers day, holoween, valentine day etc were never celebrated in pak, maybe I have become stranger to my own culture where I was born and raised. Please do allow me to object it when you are putting it under the flag of “Pakistaniat and all things Pakistan.”

14. Anwar says:
    June 1st, 2008 4:47 am

Well, As per our Islamic culture we don’t have any Mother’s day.So, Its really bad to celebrate mother’s day in Pakistan or in any islamic republic. USA,UK,India,Europe are mostly secular countries so they can follow it.. and it is there policy of being secular …just like we are following Islam.

15. Aik Pakistani says:
    May 10th, 2009 2:27 pm

Happy Mothers Day to All the Mothers of the World!

16. Azeem says:
    May 11th, 2009 10:47 pm

Do celebrate Mother’s day, but everyday.

- Do not use just day to fulfill your 24/7/365 duty (it is not an option! it is an obligation and duty).
    - Do not call it what “for profit corporate America 0r corporate world wants us to call it”.
    - Do not celebrate it only on the day dictated by “for profit corporate world.”
    - Celebration (not ritual) is never a duty in human mind, it just an act that is optional.
    - Respecting your Mother and Father every moment of your life is not optional.

Do whatever you want but do not let corporation drive your mind, life, relations or emotion. If you really want, celebrate mother’s day on September 23… or any other day except for the day dictated by for profit corporations.

Not sermon, just a thought!

17. Ayaz Ali Shah says:
    May 13th, 2009 2:55 am

My mom is special in a lot of different ways, but here are just a few of them. She always compliments me in my work and my stories. She thinks they are funny, and so do I. She also cooks me a special homemade meal for my birthday. She will always make sure I am healthy and active. And she will read me a book every night and give me hugs and kisses. We make up handshakes and jokes together. She tries to make me laugh when I am sad about something. Like, she sings to be funny, but not a lot. She will try to sing a Britney Spears song in opera – it is so funny. I am usually the one who makes her laugh. She takes naps with me when I am sick. She makes me a sick couch and makes sure that I have everything that I need. I love that! She is always there for when I am sick or hurt. I love it when she “nurses” me back to health because then I feel like her little baby again. We take pictures of each other and talk on the phone a lot when she goes out of town.

My mom is always a special person to me and to others. I think that I should win this essay because everyone should know just what a special mom does for her kids.

18. Salman Ahmed says:
    May 14th, 2009 9:35 am

On May 12, 2009, it was my late mother’s 3rd death anniversary. I still cherish her love and affection and miss her a lot. She dedicated her 35 years of widowed life for my up bringing & grooming me.

Ammi, I will miss you for rest of my life. Please keep remembering in your prayers to Allah SWT.

Salman

19. May 5th, 2010 5:28 am

my freinds asa Ist july 2010 is 6th death anniversary of my mother but i think my mother appeard in world she go to world but she is apperard in my heart in my life every time every mother is very great but we r not respect of the parents of his life and after the death of parents(specially)we remember to every time pls i request to u read a sura-e-fatiha of my mother and pray to god his plac in paradise god bless all mothers and all fathers and all child and saya to mother every child on head

20. cheqqs says:
    May 5th, 2010 11:59 am

How to say Happy Mother’s day in Pakistan? (urdu language)
    Do you have any nice quote in that language?
    I’ve a colleague who r from Pakistan, and i hope can cheer her up since her family r not with her here..Bohot syukria!