Suggest a Title: Two Men on an Island

Posted on January 28, 2010
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Photo of the Day

Owais Mughal

Well, since the ongoing theme at ATP today is Pakistan’s rivers and water resources therefore how about this photo from a small island in river Ravi. Photographer is Muhammad Rizwan who took this photo on January 10, 2010 from the N5 road bridge .

When I first saw this photo, few questions came to me. How did these people end up there? How will they go back? Most likely the river Ravi is not deep enough here and these guys can just walk to the river banks. One guy has his ‘shalwar’ pulled up to his knees so they may indeed have walked to this island. But there are no waves in the water – look how perfect their reflection is in still waters – so if they did come by foot then it must’ve been a while ago. Too many questions arise from this one photo. One can also say – yeah so what? Who cares? That is fine too. In such case I would say this is just a snap shot of an event on January 10 in Pakistan which is not very common and hence qualified to make up to these pages.

baat se baat nikalti hai (one thing leads to another). This photo also reminds me of a joke.

One day two men were alone on a small island. One man saw a bottle floating on the water and took it (just like one of the guys in photo above is looking for something in the water). When he opened the bottle a genie came out. The genie said to the men “hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha. I will give you both a wish each – bolo kia maangta“. The first man asked “I want to go home”. The genie said “ok here you go.” The second man said, “I can’t stay alone in this island, I want him back.” The genie said “ok. Here he comes – hoo hoo hoo ha ha ha.”

15 Comments on “Suggest a Title: Two Men on an Island”

1. Aziz says:
    January 28th, 2010 12:37 pm

Looking at the other pictures you posted in your earlier post, this looks like an oasis in a desert. However, after thinking through it, your comments make sense. This must be a shallow place and just looks like an island. I bet they just walked up to this little “tila” in the water :) They could be IRSA engineers trying to measure the depth of the water at this location.

By the way, I am amazed at how still the water is and how perfect the reflection is. It does remind me of another joke :)

Matkay main pani bhar kay tera aks dekhta hoon
    Phir matka hila hila kay tera rakhs dekhta hoon

Ofourse in this case, neither men are interested in seeing the other dance :)

2. Adam Insaan says:
    January 28th, 2010 1:41 pm

I think the two gentlemen are estimating have much they can drink ….of the water…and they are calculating how many days are going to pass
    - before they both of them can come home…….
    -without wet shoes…

otherwise they will have to buy two pair of new shoes…

3. Ghufran says:
    January 29th, 2010 7:29 am

wah wa…. Aziz Sahib ..

[ROFLMAO]

4. HarOON says:
    January 29th, 2010 8:16 am

Wonderful picture.

I see this and think represents how Pakistanis feel. Stranded and lonely and no where to go!

5. banjara286 says:
    January 29th, 2010 9:45 am

no man is an island.
    but two men are …

January 29th, 2010 11:33 am

one title could be ‘narcism’ :)

7. Farrukh says:
    January 29th, 2010 12:33 pm

Reminds me of the Johnn Cash song “Five Feet High and Rising”

8. Faisal says:
    January 29th, 2010 1:10 pm

Cast Away

9. Musaafir says:
    January 29th, 2010 3:51 pm

How about four captions?

1. One man turns to the other and exclaims: “I told you we should have climbed a higher mountain before it started to rain!”

2. “When the TV reality show told me I will be on a deserted island I didn’t know it would be this small.”

3. Standing man says to the sitting one: “When you said you had to go real bad, I didn’t know you had so much to drink!”

4. First picture arrives from space shuttle showing the two giants that invaded South America.

January 29th, 2010 4:05 pm

Musaafir – good ones :) made me smile.

January 29th, 2010 4:36 pm

hum to dube hain sanam. tum ko bhi….

12. FayXaan says:
    January 29th, 2010 5:24 pm

“we are making our own 2012″

13. Farrukh Shahbaz says:
    January 30th, 2010 7:31 am

I can see debris even in this small island. Sad but typical of us.

If the couple belongs to the ruling party, they must be wondering how to make some money by selling/allotting this land or water.

14. saima says:
    January 30th, 2010 12:21 pm

Don’t worry …i can walk on water

15. Masood says:
    January 30th, 2010 7:03 pm

The two guys are fishing. You could probably see two or three sticks in front of them. In the local language it is known as “lum dor”, basically a very short fishing rod. I would suggest the caption:
    “Dude, where’s my boat?”