Aao, Aao, Aao. Sooji ka halwa khao

Posted on January 7, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, Pakistanis Abroad, People

A friend sent me the link to this video and I just love it. How can a song go wrong with doodh malai and sooji ka halwa.

The song has the feel of nursery rhyme meets folk meets country meets pop meets fusion meets all sorts of other things I know nothing about. But for me it was about nostalgia as much as the mixing of sounds. The same thing that had made me love the Jazz renditions of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s qawallis in Brooklyn, makes me nod my head to this; and smile.

I must confess that I knew nothing about the singer – Tariq Mirza, or Tee-M – before this. But a visit to his website was instructional:

TEE-M (Tariq Mirza) grew up in Karachi, Pakistan hearing rock/pop on the short-wave radio, listening to street musicians playing the tunes of the land, and learning to play on a hand-me-down guitar. TEE-M recently completed his first album EARTHIOTIC, which made it’s worldwide debut on “Rock 50″ internet radio show on WPMD.org. TEE-M has toured for Starbucks, and is featured in a short film, The Ultimate Song (according to New York Times, “a real winner”), along with the likes of Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Wayne Kramer (MC5) Tom Morello, Ice T, Steve Earle, and others. The film has been shown at Farm Aid and SXSW.

Here is a sampling of two other songs from the album:

Yaarah

Man Without a Country

15 Comments on “Aao, Aao, Aao. Sooji ka halwa khao

1. Mariam says:
    January 7th, 2007 12:45 am

Yes, it is indeed nostalgic, and we all desi’s has a taste of both and sometimes too much of it :D.

2. Kabeer says:
    January 7th, 2007 7:55 am

The beat is knd of catchy and the theme is funny…. interesting. Heard the other two… probably not my type

but, yes, you cannot go wrong with sogi ka halwa

3. Farhan says:
    January 7th, 2007 10:23 am

Nice work. I like it.

4. shbn says:
    January 7th, 2007 6:43 pm

Kool song :)

5. Moeen Bhatti says:
    January 7th, 2007 8:48 pm

This is really v. nice & funny song; music & rhythum is good too; though I have always found Pakistani ‘pop’ songs weird when they mix two languages. This is an exception.

6. January 8th, 2007 4:38 am

My two year old, Zoya Hamdani loves it.

7. January 8th, 2007 9:12 pm

He is such a good singer. He recently performed at a Cafe in Karachi and was a super hit! Esp this song…

8. Samdani says:
    January 10th, 2007 12:06 pm

Heard this first and thought, not my type.
    Heard it again and liked it much better.
    Specially when I understood he is talking about a dream and his feeling of nostalgia about his mother and her cooking. Nice idea there.

9. January 13th, 2007 1:01 am

[...] Indeed, post 9/11 there is a real thrust of young Muslims in general, including young Pakistanis in the performing arts trying to build inroads into their host communities that earlier generations of Muslim, and Pakistanis, had so neglected to build (see ATP write-ups on Pakistanis abroad doing so in the theatre, in music (also here), in documentary film-making). [...]

10. June 3rd, 2007 12:51 pm

gr8 yarr iluv this song ..gr8 work Tee-m..such a good singer….yar kis k pass Tee-m ki album ka link hai to plzz sand mee junaidweb@gmail.com

11. July 7th, 2007 10:58 am

I LOVE this video!

When he hits his head (in the song),
    then sings “Aao” it sounds like native English speakers saying “Ow!” when they hurt themselves.

Then he adds a “hard C” sound (the K) and it sounds like he’s referring to adding C onto Ow and you have COW. Khao, khao.

This is just MY interpretation, I am of European decent and was born in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, home of your website.

–> I am personally searching for a piece of my childhood: A b&w picture of those “ice cream truck-like” kiddie rides that circulated with bumper cars, tea cups, and others. They were made out of flat bed trucks I think, and for some reason my parents don’t have many (any?) pics of those rides!

12. Fawwaz Siddiqui says:
    April 16th, 2008 3:22 am

Awesome Song Tariq Bahi

13. osama says:
    July 22nd, 2008 1:17 am

well done such a nice song this is i dun have words to apreciate that song keep it up

14. ali farshi says:
    August 2nd, 2008 1:20 pm

i like this song .

15. syed says:
    March 12th, 2010 8:52 pm

Pakistani diaspora needs more of tee-m for intelligent connection. Will there ever be a tee-m concert on LUMS grounds or 6th Road Rawalpindi campus?