ATP Quiz: What can you tell us about this Lighthouse

Posted on January 27, 2007
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, ATP Quiz, Architecture, Travel

Owais Mughal

Like Adil’s earlier post on Fall Foliage in Pakistan, I think this could have been easily confused with a picture of an old lighthouse flanked by the church as being from Europe or North America; but much like the foliage, it is very much in Pakistan. But where?

I took this photograph on my recent trip to Pakistan. Can you identify where this is and what these buildings are? Its a lighthouse, so its a good bet that it is near the sea. The question is exactly where? And what information can you share about the lighthouse?

16 Comments on “ATP Quiz: What can you tell us about this Lighthouse”

1. Khalid R Hasan says:
    January 27th, 2007 11:53 am

Manora Lighthouse at Karachi harbour, one of two lighthouses marking the port – the other one at Cape Monze. I don’t suppose lighthouses have much significance for ships in these days of GPS navigation, but they were vital in times past and have great historical value. Manora itself has a lot of history, especially its fort.

2. BhindiGosht says:
    January 27th, 2007 12:19 pm

Manora island

3. January 27th, 2007 12:44 pm

Yes this is Manora Light House. Cape Monze light House is the other but these are not the only light houses on our coast. There are many others. These two are old types from Brit times. The building beside the light house is a small church, most probably not in use. I have had the chance of climbing both the light houses long time back through thir winding stairs. Instead of the ‘lamps’ of old times these now have bulbs, There are huge prisms surrounding the bulb which magnify the light many thousand times. The prisms rotate through a mechanism which was wound through a key. I am not sure if that is still there or replaced by an electric motor. Both have watchmen whose duty is to keep them ‘alight’ during the night. The other light houses have flashing bulbs and run on batteries charged by solar panels; real unimpressive contraptions. Tthese two seem to flash to a distant observer as the prisms rotate. Only these have the ‘loom’ of light, others do not have it. Light houses are still relevant during the GPS days and are important navigation marks for safety of shipping and other traffic in narrow and shallow waterways. GPS can stop or give inaccurate position; light house is there to be seen and is marked accurately on charts with unique characteristic of their light (number and duration of flashes) given so that these are not confused with anything else during the night.

4. Sufi says:
    January 27th, 2007 4:29 pm

Beautiful colorful picture.
    No clue about the location.

5. Moeen Bhatti says:
    January 27th, 2007 5:08 pm

It was easy, google lighthouse, Pakistan and you’ll see this pic!!

6. January 27th, 2007 11:48 pm

Owais, I just find this picture so very captiavting. The bright blue is mesmerizing and I love teh ccomposition.

I had not know that there was a lighthouse on Manora, I guess I do know now.

Khalid Sahib points out that there are two lighthouses marking the port. I guess that means Manora? I wonder how many lighthouses there are on the coastline, how many are still operational, and which are the more picturesque ones. Living in New England, I know that lighthouse-hopping is a favorite attraction at least on the Maine coast.

January 28th, 2007 12:15 am

Adil
    The Cape Monze light house is far west from Manora. Almost 40 km to the west.

I know for sure that Manora light house is still working. It uses the same optical system to magnify the light which was installed here by the British in 1909. I guess more on this will be in my next post tomorrow or in near future. I’ll hold on to the story till then :)

8. BD says:
    January 28th, 2007 2:32 am

The pic is spectacular. Good job Owais!

9. January 28th, 2007 12:25 pm

Starting from the west, light houses on Pak coast are at Jiwani, Gwadar, Pasni, Astola Island, Ormara, Cape Monze, Manora, Port Qasim (entrance), Hajambro/Turshian Creek and last on the east is Kajhar Creek light house. After Kajhar creek is the disputed Sir Creek on Pak-India border. Of these only Cape Monze and Manora light houses are of old vintage.

10. January 28th, 2007 12:31 pm

And yes all these work as this is Pakistan’s obligation for safety of marine traffic.

Boat is required to reach the light houses of creeks and Port Qasim and Astola Island. One can drive up to ohers except Pasni one which requires a steep and tiring climb to hill top. I am not sure about the one near Jiwani but the road leads to very near to its location.

January 28th, 2007 5:09 pm

Zafar Saheb. shukira for your detailed information on Pakistan light houses. Very informative. In next few days, I’ll be posting an article on Manora. Will need your input on it also.
    regards
    Owais

12. Karachiwala says:
    January 28th, 2007 11:23 pm

Picture of the same lighthouse, probably a hundred years ago.. (See Here)

13. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    January 29th, 2007 9:50 am

Wonderful. Looking forward for more on the light houses of Pakistan. I love it. Thank you Owais.

14. January 31st, 2007 12:14 am

[...] Many of our readers have correctly guessed the light house in our latest photo quiz. Yes indeed, it is the light house located on Manora Island. [...]

15. ahmed says:
    February 2nd, 2007 1:51 pm

Dear OM:
    I have visited this post over a dozen times, and each time I remain fascinated by the shades of blue in the sky beyond the Lighthouse flecked with fleecy clouds that your camera has captured. . What beautiful landscapes our country provides!
    Standing next, in solemn stillness, is a simple structure for the worship of God. My mind cannot but help return to the verse of the Holy Quran (Sura II, Verse 164):–

Behold! In the creation
    of the Heavens and the Earth;
    In the alternation
    of the night and the day;
    In the rain which God
    sends down from the skies;
    And the life which He gives therewith
    to an earth that is dead;
    In the beasts of all kinds
    that He scatters
    throughout the earth;
    In the change of winds,
    and the clouds which trail
    between the sky and the earth;
    [Here] indeed are signs
    for people that are wise.

Thank you OM, for an inspirational post.

February 2nd, 2007 10:56 pm