Student Parody of Musharraf Speech

Posted on April 4, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Humor, Politics

I think that political parody – even when not of the highest quality – is often indicative of the political trends in a society. In fact, the presence of parody itself is a medium of political expression. Shows such as Daily Show with John Stewart, the Stephen Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live, the many British political satires, Hum Sab Umeed Say Hain, Three Man Show, and GEO TV presentations such as Bush-Mush Hotta Hai are not only indicators of vivid political imaginations but also of political vigor.

I saw the following video of a parody of a Gen. Musharraf speech by a student on Adnan Siddiqui’s blog yesterday.

I do not know where and what context this was in, but it is one of a number of such parodies (some, it seems by the same young person) available of YouTube. The quality of the portrayal is variable at best as is the humor in the substance. However, like all satirical parodies it is a to be viewed not only for its humorous content but also for the points it seeks to make as a depiction of public opinion and expression.

31 Comments on “Student Parody of Musharraf Speech”

1. AR Rafiq says:
    April 4th, 2007 12:45 am

There seems to be a somber mood in the air these days. As if there is something major brewing. Like something major like Musharraf stepping down from the post of COAS….

2. zakoota says:
    April 4th, 2007 12:53 am

Dear Adil, This is a good one and as you said it may not be the parody itself that is perfect but the content is I guess complied in a very good way and most of the points that this gentleman has raised carry some weight and are hilarious.

3. Faraz says:
    April 4th, 2007 1:40 am

Pretty funny.

Why are three guys holding mics in front of him? Is that supposed to be part of the parody?

4. MQ says:
    April 4th, 2007 2:03 am

Hilarious!

5. April 4th, 2007 6:46 am

Faraz yep. They appear as journalists.

6. MB says:
    April 4th, 2007 7:13 am

@Adil Najam

“Three Man Show ” ??
    Thats four man show

7. AH says:
    April 4th, 2007 10:09 am

This is hysterical.

8. Social Mistri says:
    April 4th, 2007 10:44 am

On the whole, this was more of a display of Mullah’s tipsy on their ‘holier than thou’ righteousness.

Mullo’n ka jo yaar hay
    Usko damagh ka bukhaar hay

9. Imran Chauhdry says:
    April 4th, 2007 3:25 pm

Great….. This guy is good in copying accent & expression of President Musharraf. lol …quit old I remember first perody which I listen 2 years back now every body is tryng to copy that accent but speaking stuff is different.

10. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    April 4th, 2007 3:48 pm

is their anything particularly intelligent in the content of the parody

Mistri mian, this is what the guy tried to convince that statments given by Musharraf doesn’t sound intelligent at all. *grin*

11. Social Mistri says:
    April 4th, 2007 5:22 pm

Siddiqi mian, thank you for the explanation.

If he was trying to sound unintelligent, he absolutely succeeded, hands down. In fact, he was brilliant, because he came across like a blithering idiot.

I was under the mistaken impression that he was trying to be funny/witty and trying to do a good “nakal” of Musharraf, who I may disagree with on many many things, but who nonetheless has several thousand times the intelligence and vision of an average Mullah (i.e. the audience at this event). Of course, I may get into trouble if someone points out that in the case of most Mullahs, intelligence+vision = 0. In advance, let me say, I am talking about the average Mullah. Hopefully there are one or two that make the average tip over just a tad above 0.

12. Allah Vasaya says:
    April 4th, 2007 6:08 pm

4ManShow is much funnier. The bright side of the picture is at least these days shows like this one can poke fun at politicians and people in power. In PTV days one had to resort to understanding hidden jibes and puns of Anwar Maqsood which at times were not funny at all.

13. Hamza says:
    April 4th, 2007 6:40 pm

While I agree that the Musharraf has a seemingly lenient attitude towards political satire, we must remember that any criticism of the army and their powerful corporate interests still remains taboo.

Here is an example. This is from the The News.

Those speaking against Army should be shot, says Shujaat

By Asim Yasin

ISLAMABAD: President Pakistan Muslim League Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain on Wednesday said that those raising slogans against the Pakistan Army should be shot, because according to him these people were carrying out terrorist activities in the name of freedom of expression and freedom of journalism.

“During my stay in Washington when I heard slogans against an institution of national security on a TV channel I was greatly aggrieved and immediately expressed my concern by telephone to President General Pervez Musharraf,â€

14. Allah Vasaya says:
    April 4th, 2007 8:03 pm

Dear Hamza

I am sure the real reason of Ch. Shujaat’s US visit was to remove the massive reserves of the brown stuff on his nose cause by years of having his face burried in army generals’ posteriors. Please don’t take him seriously.

15. Hamza says:
    April 4th, 2007 8:49 pm

Allah Vasaya

While I agree that Chaudhry Shujaat’s statements are difficult to take seriously, we must acknowledge that open criticism of the army as an institution remains muted.

The sheer fact that any politician in Pakistan can make such a stupid statement(as Chaudhry Shujaat did) is a reflection of the untouchable status that the army has in the country.

16. Eidee Man says:
    April 4th, 2007 11:40 pm

“Doesn’t sound like Musharraf and nor is their anything particularly intelligent in the content of the parody. I much prefer the 4ManShow parodies (available on YouTube) that are at least funny, and do a pretty good job of emulating PM.”

You’re absolutely right….I turned it off after 5 minutes…it got old that fast… 4manshow does a much better job.

17. mozang bijjli says:
    April 4th, 2007 11:56 pm

That’s true i was taken aback by the Chaudry shujaat’s comment when i saw web edition of The news this morning.
    He does’nt sound mighty powerful in uttering such remarks. All he has managed to do with this silly out break is splicing more misery to his pathetic political career.

18. April 5th, 2007 1:38 am

Mistri mian, that is the problem with left extreemist like you. Since the guy had beared so he was mullah, right? Wow! Our very own resident liberal here keep beared, maybe he would be a mullah for liberals and secular.

You don’t sound different than the community you dislike, that is intolerent and sick. Thanks again to prove my point yet again that lefts are equally extreemist and ignorant than religious rights.

next time do make a read of speeches given by Musharraf so that you have some background about the things you want to speak. You are not even aware that majority of statments given by the guy in video were “actual words said by Musharraf”.

19. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 5th, 2007 5:27 am

I think CH Shujat’s statement is a good thing because it brings out this issue explicitly and somewhat more forcefully (albeit unintentionally) than the critics of the military could accomplish. More such statements on the military and this issue might start to get unravelled.

Another statement for which I am glad was Shujat’s comment that the CJ issue is between the military and the judiciary.

20. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 5th, 2007 5:45 am

Mistri:
    The content of the parody may not be very intelligent, but it’s importance lies more in the fact that it is an articulation of what a large number of Pakistanis feel, and this kind of feeling is certainly not limited to the Mullahs.

Adnan you need to take a chil pill, you become so attacking and overdefensive of Mullahs in your posts, that your whole point (similar extremism on the other side) gets lost in your direct personal attacks. Try to be less accusing and perhaps your same arguments will make more of an impact. Also, not everyone who opposes the Mullahs is a left wing extremist who wants religion to be wiped out completely. Hope you will consider the message without yet again accusing me of being a ‘liberal extremist.’

21. April 5th, 2007 6:53 am

overdefensive of Mullahs

Absolutely not. Last time I checked that majority members of this forum belong to cabal who is ‘tired of religion’. I appear too visible to you because I do respond the baseless accusations by the psuedo enlightened of this forum, it doesn’t mean I pamper their wrong acts as well. If you ever notice, I condemn right wing religious zealots as well.

so attacking

This is something I wouldn’t disagree.

22. Najam says:
    April 5th, 2007 12:49 pm

Not impressed at all !!.

The only thing they done rigth in the parody is the costume. Nothing else fits in. Our students should do better.

Could someone find Khalid Anum’s Parody and upload it. I recall that was part of Geo TV show.

23. Social Mistri says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:37 pm

Siddiqi mian, I am not a “left extremist”. Thank you very much. I am a practicing muslim who thinks mullah’s are a perversion in Islam. The Quran doesn’t sanction any mullahs.

If you take individual sentences that someone said in different speeches, and different contexts, and piece them together, you can make a Saint into the Devil. I am all for parodies of Musharraf done by someone with a brain (i.e. my earlier example of the 4Manshow). I just thought this guy was a complete idiot.

24. Social Mistri says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:39 pm

Hamza, If Ch. Shuj and our “Big Arm Laa minister” can somehow be made to fight to their mutual demise, it would be good for the future of politics in Pakistan.

25. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:40 pm

“As for assuming the guy doing the parody was a mullah because of his beard… I think before the beard, the huge ass banner they had in the background kind of gave it away.”

What’s in the banner?

26. Social Mistri says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:45 pm

Aqil, yes, unfortunately Mush has squandered some of the goodwill sensible people had for him – in particular, with some of his recent actions. He knows what needs to be done to rebuild this. It remains to be seen if he does.

Ideally, if he can get the NDC to invent an anti-mulliotic (i.e. anti biotic to do away with the mullah virus), distribute it through the water supply of the country, and then resign as the big cheese, I think he very well end up being one of the best leaders we’ve had.

27. Social Mistri says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:49 pm

It’s in Arabic, and the top part says something to the effect of, “For the education of the nation of Islam”. In Arabic too. Which is typical mullahism. You’re in Pakistan, how about speaking in Urdu? If you’re quoting the Quran, that’s fine. But if you’re saying ordinary things – or naming an organization – it doesn’t really have to be in Arabic, does it?

There’s a similar argument against english names, but then what percentage of Pakistanis speak/read some english as compared to Arabic? It’s a 1:20 ratio I bet, in favour of English.

28. Social Mistri says:
    April 5th, 2007 3:51 pm

Eidee, right on bro!!

29. Aqil Sajjad says:
    April 7th, 2007 1:02 am

Social mistri:
    I think it’s too late for Musharraf to rebuild the goodwil that he had. His arrival was welcomed by the nation and he did initiate some badly needed reforms, but it started to slowly go downhill from the moment he made a deal with PML-Q.
    In my opinion, his biggest mistake was to focus too much on the question of constitutional legitimacy. He should have realized that no matter what he did to engineer the system, he would not get that legitimacy. His legitimacy depended on his ability to deliver on the reforms, and by compromising with people like Ch Shujat, he allowed these reforms to be undermined, which eroded his credibility with the people.

30. Social Mistri says:
    April 7th, 2007 1:20 am

Aqil, perhaps you’re right. But come ON! Surely he would be popular once more if he poisoned all the mullahs… no? ;-)

On a serious note, he can save his legacy by getting a liberal government in place, sabotaging the mullahs, shedding the wardi and phasing himself out as president in the next 2 years. The man has done a lot for Pakistan. I think it may be too soon for everyone to comfortably accept this, but I think when we look back, especially on the economic front, things have been good. Now if only he would know when to bow out. That’s usually the mark of someone exceptional.

31. Samdani says:
    April 7th, 2007 10:57 am

I dont think the parody is as bad as people are saying. But I do think that it reflects public opinion and shows why the religious extreme has been able to capture political importance.