Police Action, Pakistan Style

Posted on July 9, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Humor, Law & Justice, Photo of the Day, Society

Beware folks! If you ever have to visit a Police Station in Pakistan, make sure your car is not blocking the gate otherwise true to their motto which is: police ka hai farz, madad aap ki (it is our duty to help you) they might take swift action and help you in long term parking there by deflating your vehicle tyres. The notice below is from a Police Station in Pakistan.

There is, of course, much that can be read into this. The most obvious candidate might be the police action now going on in the Lal Masjid. Of course, we at ATP could use it as yet another notice to our more shararti friends (see earlier post here). Owais may well choose to replace the picture in the comments section with this one for a while. There is, more sinisterly, the dark and shameful side of police action that we have also tried to show (here and here). But, for now, let me chalk this up as one more piece in my ongoing fascination with Pakistani cops (here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and more).

Photo Credits: We found this picture at Flickr in Tango 48′s photo stream.

15 Comments on “Police Action, Pakistan Style”

1. baber says:
    July 9th, 2007 1:05 am

I think they will steel the typers and sell them in chor bazaar. Why is this sign in english? Is there a urdu version?

2. Farrukh says:
    July 9th, 2007 12:14 pm

Came back on to ATP after a long break…. so much has happened in between… but nice to see that the irreverant humor is still there with this picture!

I actually like it. Shows a ‘can do’ attitude!

3. sharuk says:
    July 9th, 2007 12:55 pm

We have the best police/cops force in the world which could waive you ticket for little favor of 30-50 rupees.

4. Shazia Rubab says:
    July 9th, 2007 12:59 pm

Come on guys, let’s give the poor “thullas” a break. We don’t mind “Towing Enforced” signs in the U.S and are pretty careful to park our cars elsewhere. Let’s remember that with the kind of resources available to our police, that’s the best they can do. Isn’t that ingenious? Not that I didn’t chuckle looking at the sign!

5. baber says:
    July 9th, 2007 3:21 pm

Is it creative or destructive? I mean the implementation.

6. July 9th, 2007 4:54 pm

well anything parked along the Police station is a Police property so they are on the right lol.

7. July 9th, 2007 5:41 pm

Adil,

I wonder if this is really such a big issue given the prevailing environment. Surely a post on the impending CJP judgement, APC and its fallout and Mushy’s uniform and presidential election are far more ‘biting’ issues. All of which are discussed in terms of a new Pakistan movement taking shape on Other Pakistan at http://www.otherpakistan.org and which I believe should enjoy wider coverage via a guest post via ATP so others can join in saying their piece, so how about it?

Feimanallah

Wasim

8. Shazia Rubab says:
    July 9th, 2007 9:49 pm

sometimes the “biting” issues are so many and bite so hard that a post like this is absolutely welcome because it makes us smile and pulls us back up just a little from the deep hole of depression we fall into.

9. July 10th, 2007 12:53 am

ive had an experience just minutes ago and seeing this photo has given me a chance to vent out. driving to my internship this morning i was slammed THRICE, upon no provocation, by a landcruiser (me in my humble alto). the right lane was empty so he could have easily overtaken me, but he chose to try and drive over me. my bumper is busted and the break light cracked. he proceeded to ‘cut’ savagely in front of me, gloating on his ‘victory’, i almost spun out of control!!!. recovering from the shock i caught a glimpse of his number plate. GOVT!!!
    THESE PEOPLE THINK THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO THIS!!!
    shock turns to blind rage. i think ive shouted my share of obscenities then. and for the first time ive put a curse dua without feeling regret.
    excuse me while i type some four letter words elsewhere………^_^

10. M.Tahir says:
    July 10th, 2007 5:14 am

Blocking a drive way or parking lot for some one will subject to 120 pounds ticket in UK.
    This penelty is relatively cheap.

11. ayesha sajid says:
    July 10th, 2007 12:01 pm

Let me take the oppertunity on this forum to bring forth the excellent job the new traffic police is doing in Lahore. The discussion of thier pay scale etc aside , the most amazingly refreshing thing about them is how vigilant and polite they are. My driver has suddenly started wearing the seat belt every time he sits in the car and abstains from answering the cell phone will driving as do i BECAUSE we were asked politely to do so at an intersection. Also the fear of a ticket perhaps is also a major factor contributing towards this sudden found respect of law.
    Hit the nation where it hurts and they will be law abiding citizens … thier wallets !

July 11th, 2007 12:07 pm

Adil, this notice board is hilarious :) Another story comes to my mind. In one of the Shafiqur Rehman books (I think the chapter is called ‘Ali Baba 40 chor’), he talks about a ‘thaanedaar’ (sherrif) whose ‘takya kalaam’ was:

‘aap kabhi thaane meiN tashreef layiyay na!’

The ‘thaanedaar’ used to say this ‘takya kalaam’ after every few sentences as part of his ‘mehman nawaz’ personality but it made his listeners very nervous :) This ‘thanedaar’ was so ‘mehman nawaz’ that he had a notice board installed at the main entrance of the ‘thaana’ saying:

“khush Amdeed” (Welcome)

When I saw Adil’s post above, it somehow reminded me of this very opposite story of police stations which i shared here.

13. MUHAMMAD AZEEM SAIGAL says:
    February 25th, 2008 6:27 am

SIR, MY NAME IS MUHAMMAD AZEEM SAIGAL R/O KARACHI. SIR, I NEED JOBS IN POLICE DEPARTMENT BECAUSE MY FATHER DEATH RESENTLY ONE MONTH. PLEASE DO SOME THING FOR ME. THANKING YOU

14. Durrani says:
    May 16th, 2009 5:24 pm

Something to think about!

15. umar shah says:
    November 20th, 2009 12:52 pm

slam sir i want to join punjab police.i have tried my best i have clear my exam of psc for ASI in police also clear my interview,but i m not selected.tell me y i am not selected?have u answer for my question?plz do something for me i m waiting sir 03007352867