4 Pakistani Songs to go with the weekend

Posted on December 15, 2007
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, TV, Movies & Theatre

Owais Mughal
Here is an assortment of 3 Urdu and a Punjabi song of Pakistani movies of yesteryears. These are blasts from the past but still widely enjoyed. Today is a snowy day at where we live and it is difficult to go out. These and other songs will be our companion for the weekend. Hope you like’em too.
(1)
First song is titled ‘jis taraf aaNkh uthaoun’. Movie is Suraiyya Bhopali and the singers are Naheed Akhtar and Mehdi Hassan. The actos are Rani and Shahid. I like the song because of its Hyderabadi (Deccani) language. This style of Urdu is now lost from Pakistani cinema.

(2)
Second song is titled ‘jadoN holi jayee’ and is sung by Madam Noor Jehan. It is from from the movie ‘aat khuda da veer’. Actors in song are Habib and Naghma. Gotta love ever green songs of Madam!

(3)
The song title is ‘akelay na jana’ from the movie Arman. This song was composed by Sohail Rana. The song was originally composed for a movie titled ‘akele na jana’ but when for some reason that movie got delayed, it was used in the movie ‘Arman’ which was released in 1966.

(4)
This song is also from the movie Suraiyya Bhopali released on July 16, 1976. The singer is Naheed Akhtar. Another masterpiece of Deccani Urdu.

Similar Posts at ATP
1. Runa Laila Unplugged
2. Bandish: Pakistan’s Superhit Movie
3. Aina: Pakistan’s Greatest Blockbuster Movie
4. Lollywood Billboard Art

19 Comments on “4 Pakistani Songs to go with the weekend”

1. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    December 15th, 2007 11:24 am

@ No. 1 Umrao jan Ada
    No. 2 Aat Khuda da ver,

but hav’nt seen any of them, (except clips) heard and enjoyed for ever, Noor Jehan, jedon holi jai, no one can
    ever remake such difficult melody sung by Madame, whom, none can copy, I think have not seen a good actress like
    Rani, when ever I saw her in Pak films (very rare) came out with deep emotions, she impressed so much, that I wanted
    to see her again and again just to watch “those” expressions plenty of them, which reached the hights of ” acting ” art so near to reality. For me she was “the best Actress ” in the sub-conti, with such a broad & clear dialogue, not only spoken but ” performed”, very respectable.
    In some of the mujras sublime dances, only she could perform, with a body language so majestic, a beauty, dressed in a dream of lukhnowi class of legert

2. SH Kavi says:
    December 15th, 2007 11:47 am

I am pretty sure that 1st. and 4th. songs are from” Suraiyya Bhopali” ,not “Umrao Jane Ada.”

December 15th, 2007 11:50 am

Kavi saheb, I may be worng but i think Suraiyya Bhopali is the name of singer and Umrao Jan Ada is the movie name. #4 is definitely from Umrao Jan Ada as I own this movie. But I have to reveiw it now :) to make sure song 1 is also from it. Was feeling lazy to review it that is why i asked if somebody knew for sure, which movie song # 1 belonged to.

4. SH Kavi says:
    December 15th, 2007 11:58 am

I don’t remember any playback singer named Suraiyya Bhopali and I think 1st.song is sung by Naheed Akhtar.

5. December 15th, 2007 12:01 pm

hmm….kia baat hai, aaj ATP baday mooood main hai ;)

6. Roshan says:
    December 15th, 2007 12:10 pm

Owais,
    I am not sure about the fourth song but am certain that first is from movie Soriya Bhopali by Naheed Akhtar. Another song in Hyderabadi accent in this movie is “Tha Yaqeen keh Aaye gi ye rataan kabhi.”

7. December 15th, 2007 12:12 pm

Owais, my own interests in Pakistani movies predate this era and I was not very fond of these anyhow, but I suspect that SH Kavi is right. I think that none of the song are from Umrao Jan Ada. I remember watching the movie and am quite sure that it was a period film so Shahid in a suit would not fit in.

Also, I believ that SURIYA BHOPALI is the name of the film not the singer. I also think that songs 1 and 4 are both from that film because it had Shahid, was set in more modern times. Also I think it had Waheed Murad in it (you see him at beginning of song 1) and also the “tasveeran” as opposed to “tasveerain” was supposedly a “Bhopalism” placed by the lyrics writer.

However, as I said, my interest in Lollywood was in an earlier era so these movies are not major elements of my movie memories… so, I coudl very well be wrong.

8. Rahim Khan says:
    December 15th, 2007 12:27 pm

The film ‘Surraiya Bhopali’, director, Hasan Tariq, released on July 16,1976, starring: Rani- Waheed Murad- Shahid. Silver jubilee. Rani played the role of a professional dancer.

Songs: ‘Jis taraf Aankh otha oon, teri tasweraan hai’, singer, Nahid Akhtar.

‘Tha yaqeen keh Aa yain gee ye rataan kabhi’, singer, Nahid Akhtar.

For Rani Fans, more on > http://anisshakur.tripod.com/id65.html

9. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    December 15th, 2007 12:34 pm

@ No, No, wait
    my loud speakers are caput !
    1. Surraiya Bhopali, jis taraf aank uthaon,(Rani Shahid)
    2, Att khuda da, Jadon Holi, Noor Jehan(Habib,Naghma)
    3. Arman, Akayilay ne jana, Rushi and Mala(Murad Zeba)
    4. Surrya Bhoopali, baatan, naheed Akhter(Rani Shahid

December 15th, 2007 12:55 pm

Kavi Sahib, Adil bhai and Rahim Khan, you are right about Surayya Bhopali and Umrao Jan Ada. I will do the necessary correction in my text in a bit. The songs cannot be from Umrao Jan Ada b/c Shahid is wearing ‘suite’ in the songs.

11. whole LOTA love says:
    December 15th, 2007 12:56 pm

four most sophisticated songs ever recorded in the history of pakistani cinema for the weekend,

-gol gappay wala

-gurya japani

-pande kali karalo

-tu tru tara tara

dont forget to put your EAR PLUGS in while listening to these amazing songs.

12. SH Kavi says:
    December 15th, 2007 1:02 pm

Owais saheb;
    Aap kee 3rd choice kay kia kehney. I think this is of the best romantic songs of Pakistani cinema.Waheed Murad’s acting and picturization of this song are simply superb.

13. Faraz says:
    December 15th, 2007 1:20 pm

How well would a channel featuring only old films and songs do? Throw in the old classic dramas from PTV and NTM and the channel is guaranteed to be a hit. No?

December 15th, 2007 2:24 pm

Corrections are made in the text. I am thankful to our knowledgable readership.

15. Rahim Khan says:
    December 15th, 2007 5:57 pm

Another Gem for you guys, among great songs from those days.

Enjoy & Hope………. y’all like it.

16. Raza Rumi says:
    December 16th, 2007 12:07 am

Owais Bhai

what a great selection – all four songs were super-hits and remain popular even today. The compositions and voices are terrific. And, Rani’s classic beauty….

17. Morocco Property says:
    December 24th, 2007 7:32 am

Old songs are always good and long live….

18. Muhammad Ishaq ASif says:
    January 25th, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks for sharing song list. But I can’t open, as sites are banned in China.
    I like “Bheega bheega December” by Abrar

19. January 26th, 2010 5:23 am

I love akele na jana.Its a dream.More music please.