VIDEO: Chasing Storms in Thar Desert

Posted on February 7, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Travel

Owais Mughal

In September 2007, we had featured a video of the Jeep Safari by 4×4 Off-Roaders Club into Hingol National Park and Mud Volcanoes of Balochistan. Today we are bringing another spectacular video from the same club into the Thar desert of Pakistan. Take a Look.

Related ATP Post: Mud Volcanoes of Balochistan

Related Posts with Thumbnails

12 responses to “VIDEO: Chasing Storms in Thar Desert”

1. Excellent video, classic Pakistan ad-hoc ishtyle!

I couldn’t help but notice the detachement of the documentary from the people or thar itself.. it is almost as if foreigners are visiting the area.. you don’t see too much interactions with the people or any particular interest in the geography or topology, culture or any architectural artifacts..

There is only one sindhi guy from the area who is supposed to be the guide and everyone seems to be ignoring him most of the time :)

I thought It was hilarious that almost 3 days later they were still talking about reaching their destination “tomorrow”… reminds me of the kinds of journeys we used to undertake in the 70’s in west of Punjab and Balochistan!

Those are the funnest! But we used to interact a lot with the local population, hang out, eat drink tea and listen to their stories at night..

2. Owais,

Did Awab bhai who aliases by the name of Teeth Maestro also go on this tour?

I so want to join in this type of fun; it is a must do activity for us all.

Feimanallah

Wasim

3. sharuk hasan says:

cool video. its like im watching Discovery channel of pakistan.

4. Saad says:

Awesome video – seems like one helluva experience. Can anyone tell me the name of the song playing at 42:44?

5. Moiz says:

I would tend to agree with Taban Khamosh. I watched this video sometime ago and could not help but notice the same detachment.
    Its more about the travellers having fun than them finding out about the place they go visit.
    Also it seems more like a movie where you are taught car repair and driving skills. There is little to do with thar itself in it.
    The guide seems over inflated with his skills at putting on punctures in cars without having to take them to a repair shop.
    Having said all that i liked the commentry by KO.

6. Saad says:

Make that 41:44.

7. KO says:

In reply to the first commenter:

It depends on where we go, and how the trip is planned. In other parts of Pakistan where we’ve been, we’re deeply involved in the local communities, have raised money for them, set up medical camps, helped them when outside forces like the Pakistan Military etc. have tried to evict them from their lands without a fair price, dug tubewells for irrigation, bought seeds, rented tractors, are involved in wildlife conservation projects, and a lot more besides.

These videos aren’t a cultural guide to Pakistan – they’re just travel videos – if you try to find things in them which wasn’t put there, obviously you’ll come up short.

And of course we (or at least some of us) know a heck a lot about the places (and people) we visit – that’s how we decide to go there.

Where we went this time – besides the house you see in the video where we stopped overnight, there are no people to interact with. No villages, or people – otherwise we wouldn’t have bothered setting up tents. Nor are there any ‘architectural artifacts’ – this is the middle of one of the largest deserts in the world, and not too many people have lived here. Mostly a few nomadic tribes, and even those have moved to greener pastures, besides a few who have to live there as they work on the mines.

And yes, these trips are about having fun, everything else follows from that.

8. MB says:

Whatever
    Fantastic one!!

9. Hey KO, hope I didn’t offend you too much.. I actually like it, and to tell you the truth I really loved the Hingol National Park video and I think it was a much more relaxed affair and more like what you have described.

I think it was probably because the Thar thing just started on the wrong foot.. I mean starting with that tree on the road will throw any expedition off kilter from the git-go but then it was like one thing right after another… I kept repeatedly thinking what exactly is going to happen next… like who’s going to slide off the road or something :) hahaha

In any case it still is very informative. I have always wondered about thar and how it is.. I have a Hindu friend who is from that area and I guess subconsciously I was thinking the movie was going to hit some of the old temples etc.. but it was different from my expectation.. and that is just as well… can’t make everyone happy can you? ;-)

Good job btw! We need more of these vids and you do a great job of commenting! (not to mention technical direction of getting them across dangerous 60 degree drops ) .. So keep up the good work!

I must say I really liked all the characters in the Hingol video, especially “Pappu” Sahib … I remember exploring Hindu Kush and Balochistan in a cantankerous Willis jeep kinda like that.. I remember having to come back out to “civilization” on horseback because the dang thing just wouldn’t budge anymore. For me the best part was staying overnight with the locals along the way (having contacts helps too) and eating the local food (Nothing like authentic sijji oi hoi!)

Thanks for all the effort in bringing us thes wonderful visions of Pakistan!

10. Another amazing video……….. u guys should submit this to Doscovery Channel……… maybe they can send a camera crew to you when u guys go on your next trip!!

11. Wajid says:

Wow! Brilliant video, I am very much impressed to see it, I wonder when will I start going with you people (lets wait, I earn a little) :D

12. Moiz says:

KO i take your point and i think that your point of view is valid. But then the question should be asked from Owais as to what makes this video ‘spectacular’ ‘into the thar desert’?