March 23, 2008: What Jinnah Has to Tell us Today

Posted on March 23, 2008
Filed Under >Darwaish, History, Law & Justice, People, Politics

Darwaish

Today is 23rd March, 2008. On this date in 1940 the historic Lahore Resolution (Later Pakistan Resolution) was passed.

Last year in the series of March 23 posts (here, here and here), Adil Najam had written about ‘Owning Mohammad Iqbal.’ This year I thought it would be a good idea to share some of my favorite photographs from 1940′s and also very very relevant speeches of founder of Pakistan, Mohammad Ali Jinnah. One of the earliest posts on ATP had, similarly, featured some less-seen pictures of the Quaid (here).

Mohammed Ali JinnahQuaid i Azam M A JinnahMohammad Ali JinnahMr. Jinnah of Pakistan

It would be interesting if ATP readers can guess all the people in photographs; tough one, I think.

Personally, I love most of the photographs of Jinnah with young students and volunteers. I don’t remember seeing a photograph of a national leader sitting with students and communicating with them like Jinnah sahab in top-right photograph. Looking at these photographs reminds me that, unlike our leaders today, how Jinnah sahab always considered students as his most important asset and main strength and they were the ones who ran Pakistan movement campaign. Unfortunately, students and young people are generally the most depoliticized segment of our society.

Let me also share two speeches by Jinnah sahab which are very relevant to Pakistan’s current institutional situation. If our citizens, leaders and institutions pay attention to the spirit of these speeches, maybe we will all be better off.

First, this excerpt from his address to the Military Staff College, Quetta (June 14, 1948):

During my talks with one or two very high-ranking officers I discovered that they did not know the implications of the oath taken by the troops of Pakistan.

Of course, an oath is only a matter of form; what is more important is true spirit and heart. But it is an important form and I would like to take the opportunity of refreshing your memory by reading the prescribed oath to you: “I solemnly affirm, in the presence of Almighty God, that I owe allegiance to the Constitution and the Dominion of Pakistan and that I will be duty bound honestly and faithfully serve.

As I have said just now, the spirit is what really matters. I should like you to study the Constitution which is in force in Pakistan at present and understand its true constitutional and legal implications.

Next, this speech on Criminal Law Emergency Power Bills before the Imperial Legislative Council (February 6, 1919):

No man should lose his liberty or be deprived of his liberty without a judicial trial in accordance with the accepted rules of evidence and procedure… the powers which are going to be assumed by the executive, which means substitution of executive for judiciary, such powers are likely to be abused, and in the past we have instances where such powers have been abused… there is no precedent or parallel that I know of in any civilized country where you have laws of this character enacted… it imperils the liberty of the subject and fundamental liberties of a citizen.

As I read these statements and think about how relevant they are to our current situation, I am also reminded that it is a pity that there is such little audio or video record of Mr. Jinnah’s speeches. Here is one website (Humsafar) which has some a limited audio/video about Jinnah and Pakistan from 1940-1948. Geo TV also has some audio records (though, not original) of these speeches available at their website. I wonder if there is any way we can get all the speeches and videos of Jinnah and make them available online for public access. If somebody has an audio or video of Jinnah’s speeches, please share with us.

Note: All the photographs are from the collection of Dr. Ghulam Nabi Kazi. I have already written about the wonderful collection of Dr. Kazi in one of my previous post about the last letter written by Ruttie Jinnah to her husband. Click on each image for more details.

12 Comments on “March 23, 2008: What Jinnah Has to Tell us Today”

1. Daktar says:
    March 23rd, 2008 1:14 am

A good online library of audio and video records of all leaders – not just the early ones – would be a great idea.

2. temporal says:
    March 23rd, 2008 2:09 am

Thanks for sharing this article Darwaish.

It is a good idea. Late Mr. Mushfiq Khawaja had some rare photographs of MAJ in his collection which has been catalogued and taken over by a Univ. in the states.

He also mentioned some gentleman in Karachi who was already in his late 80s then who had a vast audio collection of MAJ’s speeches.

3. March 23rd, 2008 6:29 am

On Pakistan Day let us all pay tribute to our forefathers who toiled and sacrified for this land of the pure. Let also then make a pledge that as a nation we will rise to the challenges before us and that we will Pakistan great again.

Quaid-e-Azam & Allama Iqbal Zindabad

Feimanallah Pakistan

Wasim

4. Rizwan says:
    March 23rd, 2008 1:10 pm

Passion of patriotism need be awaken up among Pakistani people before its too late. However ARYONE and GEO TV after the death of BB showed poems on BB not on Pakistan while Pakistan’s railway system to Power houses were burning. This is what is very scare. Its like Free media in corrput country.

5. AH says:
    March 23rd, 2008 4:24 pm

One must never forget their history. Listening to, and reading, the speeches of our founding fathers (such as Mohammad Ali Jinnah and Allama Iqbal) show us their ideas for our country. We can always learn from them. Remember, those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

6. PurePakistani says:
    March 23rd, 2008 10:34 pm

One this historical day, we ought to ask ourselves: Have we made any serious effort to accomplish what the Quid said on his election as the first President of the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan on 11 August 1947?

Pay attention to his following words:
    “You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed

7. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    March 24th, 2008 4:35 am

The famous Kaljugg in Pakistan

@ The Great MAJ is watching from somewhere
    upon those liars and cheats who have distorted his
    sacred convictions and clear indications.
    He was the unique Muslim Leader who presented
    a piece of land carvedout from The Brit Raj’s enormous
    India and gifted it to the “colonial zurriats” on a tray,
    and yet some of them dare to speak utter nonsense
    against The MAJ, All the speaches are recorded, if anyone
    has guts to contest please come forward as men not
    na-mards, word by word and phrase by phrase !!!!
    My challenge is to the following :
    PPP, ANP, Punjab University’s perverses, Geo TV & Co.,
    Progys of all sexes, Communists, Roshan-Khayyal Domnis,
    Westernized cucumbers, Indian half sisters of showbis
    showing their vulgar talents and 28 kg of make-ups, and
    the alcoholics- turned suffis “kunglay nakkal Mirasis”.

Zarbhutts have designated their donkey who will
    start looting the country very soon,
    thuggery has no limits.

8. Saqib Bhatti says:
    March 24th, 2008 1:15 pm

Quaid-i-Azam’s speeches are still very relevant even after 60 years. Thank you for sharing the speeches and I also agree that we should have an online library with all the audio and videos of our leaders (all of them including Z. A Bhutto).

Let’s learn something from our past.

9. Saqib Bhatti says:
    March 24th, 2008 1:22 pm

Does anybody has the complete audio/video of Quaid-i-Azam’s famous 11th August speech or the one he made on inauguration of State Bank of Pakistan?

10. M. F. Mirza says:
    March 25th, 2008 4:00 pm

A woman has been gang raped on Mazar e Quaid last week in Karachi (on March 23rd). The criminals are still free because they are influential people. What could be more disgusting and shameful for us as a nation.

I am sorry but this is what is going on this March 23rd in Pakistan.

11. Sadia Shahid says:
    March 29th, 2008 6:02 pm

Radio Pakistan Lahore used to have a large collection of historic Jinnah speeches and I believe some videos too. I don’t know what they have done with the collection and why it has not made available for public.

Karachi’s Hassan family has a large collection of Jinnah documents and speeches. Last time I heard from previous government’s cabinet secretary Ejaz Rahim, a project was initiated to preserve this in Jinnah Archival Museum which was to be built in Karachi. If I remember correctly, this was a Rs. 26 million project. Don’t know what happened on this. Anyone knows more details?

Excellent idea though.

12. Aqeel Ahmed says:
    April 1st, 2008 5:42 am

@Sadia: project has not even started yet and no signs it ever will so forget about it. Government has changed so everything will change, good or bad whatever.

Nice reminder of Jinnah’s messages.