A Thousand Words: Aftershocks in Balochistan

Posted on October 31, 2008
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Disasters, Photo of the Day

These pictures from the Associated Press need no commentary. They demand our attention. Our empathy. And, wherever we can, our action.

20 Comments on “A Thousand Words: Aftershocks in Balochistan”

1. Umar Shah says:
    October 31st, 2008 12:10 pm

If you are reading this post, just donate. Pick your favorite charity in Pakistan or wherever you are on the globe, make sure they have an ongoing earthquake relief effort for this event and donate. Some of your hard earned money will reach these people. If you are in the US ask your employer to match your donation. This doubles your effort.

2. October 31st, 2008 12:33 pm

Surely we must leave no stone unturned to help our fellow Pakistanis.
    I just wonder if whatever we are going through is some sort of warning being given time and again to us.

3. Qadeer says:
    October 31st, 2008 1:57 pm

These are moving pictures. They must move us to action as Adil says. Just do something.

4. Liaquat says:
    October 31st, 2008 8:13 pm

This is a tragedy of great magnitude. But this is also an opportunity for Islamabad and rest of Pakistan to show their solidarity with the people of Balchistan and maybe to provide them not just relief but a real development programme.

5. yaseen ch says:
    November 1st, 2008 12:42 am

yes, its havoc out here?

6. Mrs. Nargis Kazmi says:
    November 1st, 2008 10:35 am

Like others I would really like to help if I can but I really don’t now who to trust apart from Edhi that they will use my money to actually help these people.

Could Adil Najam please suggest who he thinks is the best charity to give to to reach those affected by the Earthquake.

I wish Imran Khan would create something for these emergencies, then I will have more trust.

7. Tanveer says:
    November 1st, 2008 10:39 am

I think your two sentences say it all. The pictures say it all.

I forwarded link to this post to my non-Pakistani friends and they asked me how they could help. I have been telling everyone that in emergencies Edhi is usually the best bet and stay away from anyone whose work they have actually not seen themselves no matter how fancy their brochures are.

8. Shiraz says:
    November 1st, 2008 11:11 am

Agree, pick up Edhi or any of your favorite charities and donate. Also write to CEO and ask them to consider donating. Send personal email to your friends and circle of influence and ask them to donate. That is best we can do.

9. Aamir Ali says:
    November 1st, 2008 11:33 am

Instead of just doing tamasha, make yourself useful via an online donation here :

* Hidaya Foundation

* CARE

* Mercy Corps

*Islamic Relief USA

Thanks to Pakistanpolicyblog for the info! Edhi gets enough money as is, and doesn’t have online donation, so give to these other charities instead. I made my donations, now so should you! Pakistan Paindabad.

10. Arshad says:
    November 1st, 2008 3:26 pm

yes this is a time to do some healing with a province and people that the rest of the country has not treated very well

11. Mazhar says:
    November 1st, 2008 4:23 pm

My parents in Lahore have been collecting relief material and money with their neighbors and sending it to the lots of local groups that are actually doing very good work in Balochistan now.

I would urge everyone to do whatever they can. Does not matter who you give through, but please do what you can to help.

12. ali says:
    November 1st, 2008 7:54 pm

god help them and every one and god forgive every one

and i think is time ,they stop curseing paksitan and blameing paksian for every thing and stop making calls on every thing,WILL WILL BREAK PAKISTAN.

13. Asim Kaleem says:
    November 1st, 2008 8:45 pm

Come on Ali…. This is not the time of remembering the bad words or bad things lets just talk about how we can help, how we can let our brothers n sisters in balochistan that we are with them. They are Paksitanis and nothing else.

14. adeel says:
    November 1st, 2008 9:20 pm

Aamir, thanks for posting the links to charity organizations.

15. Dr. Pakistani says:
    November 2nd, 2008 12:42 am

I just came back from an HDF development fundraiser where Prof. Adil Najam was the keynote speaker. He was great and very motivating. I thin he used the top picture here in his presentation as he made a case for people to contribute to development. It really was very very moving. They did not announce how much was raised but there were many many $1,000+ donations and even more than one that were more than $10,000. Thank you Dr. najam for your committment and turning it into action. Your talk was a great inspiration to al of us there.

16. auk says:
    November 2nd, 2008 2:21 am

Yes, we are an emotional bunch. Before we start imploring everyone for help, we need to look at the big picture. While the area impacted by this earthquake may be large, it was sparsely populated. According to numbers that I have heard, the number of displaced, who lost their homes, stands at 70,000. This is minuscule compared to the earthquake of 2005. Without sounding callous here, I just want to point out that enough help in the form of tents, blankets, and food rations has already made its way into the affected area, thanks to the help of the Army and some international donors.
    For all those who still want to donate money, there is no lack of deserving causes especially when the economy is presenting such a bleak picture, and when we are looking at the IMF’s recipes to fix that. So please donate all you can, to all those deserving causes, and remember that we don’t need to come alive and come together only when there is a natural calamity at hand.

17. Farhan says:
    November 2nd, 2008 10:00 am

the tragedy is that this tragedy did not need to happen. It’s really poverty that made a quake of this size cause 300 deaths and 70000 people homeless. Mud houses fall even in small quakes. That is the rebuilding that is needed.

18. Aamir Ali says:
    November 2nd, 2008 2:03 pm

To Ali:

Actually the insurgency in Balochistan is limited to Marri and Bugti tribe areas. These areas hit in earthquake are mostly Pakhtun populated, and did not join the Akbar Bugti-led rebellion.

So if the insurgency is your hangup, then dont worry about it as these areas remained loyal to Pakistan, and now they need your help. Go to the next pages and I have listed some private charities which are helping. Donate!

19. Zubeida says:
    November 4th, 2008 2:09 pm

These pictures bring tears to my eyes. These people really did not have to suffer like this. We all have a responsibility to help them. Thank you for keeping or conscience alive and reminding all of us of the plight of those less fortunate than us.

20. AJ says:
    November 19th, 2008 4:30 pm

I hope these people get help soon, otherwise it’s the same things as what happened to the Bengalis of East Pakistan when the floods hit them. May Allah(SWT) help us all. Ameen.