5-Minti zabardast aaloo chole chaat Recipe’

Posted on June 17, 2009
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Food
Total Views: 20309

Owais Mughal

Last week I made this spicy aaloo cholay chaat (potato-beans-spices-mixture) for my office mates. It proved to be a huge local success. Now for the benefit of larger society, I am giving away the recipe’. I am also providing photos for the agnostics. What more should I say in its praise; it only takes five minutes to make; hence the title – 5 minti chaat.

Before going further I want to ‘gosh-e-guzaar’ (i.e. say) this sher to you:

hum bhi muNh mein zubaaN rakhte haiN
kaash poocho ke zaaiqa kia hai

Ingredients:

1) Shan Chaat masala – Produce of Pakistan: 1 is enough!

2) Cans of boiled Garbanzo beans: 2 minimum

3) Can of diced and boiled Potatoes: 1 minimum – always maintain 2:1 ratio with beans.

4) Cucumber: 1 Maximum, otherwise Chaat will become salad and you’ll complain.

5) Can of Sliced Beet Root (chuqandar): 1 maximum.

6) Green chillis: 5 -remove the seeds please. Then cut cut.

7) Cilantro: 100 leaves – don’t count them – just guess! Hint: A fist full of cilantro is usually 100 leaves.

8) Lime: hasb-e-zaaiqa (as many as you can handle)

9) Green Olives: hasb-e-taufeeq (as many as you can afford) – I didn’t use any.

10) Tomatoes: 1 minimum and 6 maximum. Using less than minimum tomatoes will make your chaat taste like dry hummus and more than 6 will make it taste like V8 vegetable juice.

Notes on Ingredients:

(1) Garbanzo beans can be replaced with chick peas OR kabuli channay OR ‘black beans’ OR white skin beans (sufaid chilkay walay channay)

(2) Some times Chuqandar is also fondly called as Chuqandar-e-Azam (i.e. The Greatest Chuqandar). This is in rhyme with other historical greats like Sikandar-e-Azam (Alexander the Great) and Mughal-e-Azam (Emperor Akbar).

The Recipe’:

Ok here we go. Ladies and Gentlemen, start your stop watches!

Minute ZERO:

Gather all ingredients on a shelf.

Minute ONE:

Cut lime and Green Chillies.

Open the packet of Shan Chaat masala and then leave it open.

Minute TWO:

Open the can of Garbanzo beans
Open the can of Potatoes
Open the can of chuqandar-e-Azam. Please make sure to drain the bright violet-red juice that comes with chuqandar-e-Azam‘s can. This color is very strong and if not drained first, it will end up dyeing or staining your whole chaat and you’ll be left wondering:

ye dagh dagh ujaala, ye shab guzeeda sehr
woh intazaar tha jis ka ye woh sehr to nahiN

Don’t do anything with Green Olives – I’ve decided not to use them.

Minute THREE:

Cut cucumbur into thin slices – removing skin of cucumber first will help in inproving the taste.

Cut Tomatoes into slices.

Minute FOUR – Seconds 1-30:

Pour the already opened cans of beans, potatoes in a tray.

Throw in the cut pieces of Green Chilli and tomatoes.

Sprinkle Chaat Masala on the mixture.

Sprinkle Lime juice in the mixture.

Put Chaos Theory to Work For You:

Now create full-fledge afra-tafri (chaos) in the salad tray with your WASHED bare hands. While going choatic with hands in the tray, also keep saying ‘hala lala – hala lala’ under your breath. It helps in getting the rhythm right. According to Chaos theory, seemingly small and unrelated events (like mixing salad with bare hands) can significantly affect the outcome of unrelated events. (i.e. chat masala, lime juice and other ingredients will end up mixing almost homogenously). After thirty seconds, stop creating chaos in the tray. After all there is some method to this madness. The chaat should now be evolving into its final shape.

Minute FOUR – Seconds 31-60:

Throw 100 cilantro leaves all around the chaat tray. Try to spread them wisely and evenly.

Green Olives – Just ignore. As I said above, I’ve decided not to use them. Save them for future.

Minute FIVE

Take one whole minute to strategically place the pieces of chuqandar-e-Azam slices along the tray. The red color of beet root slices will give striking color contrast to the green of cilantro and it will make your chaat look extra appertizing.

Turn off your stop watches now.
Now WHAT?

ae lo !!…mazay daar 5-minti chaat tayyar hai (5-minute delicious Chaat is ready). But before you attack it, bring out your cameras and take photo of what you just prepared. Now with a sound of a KRICH (old analog Camera) or a melodious CLICK (in case of Digital Camera) take a photo. Then say bismillah and enjoy eating.

I also took following photo of the masterpiece I created with above recipe’:

Before ending, I must say the recipe’ above is legitimate. ‘aazmaaish shart hai’ (You must try to believe). Please let us know of your experience OR share your recipe’s of Chaat with us in the comments section below. Now let me close this recipe’ with a dua:

ya-rab meray naseeb meiN rizq-e-halal de
khaane ko qorma aur khilaane ko chaat de

ATP’s Other Food Posts:

1. Curry in a Hurry
2. Made in China: Samosa and paraatha
3. Omelet Recipe’ Pakistan Style
4. ATPs best Pakistani food outside Pakistan
5. Bihari kabab and the Runaway Chicken
6. daal-roti in Taiwan

30 Comments on “5-Minti zabardast aaloo chole chaat Recipe’”

1. BK says:
    June 17th, 2009 1:41 am

I can see the tomatos in photo…missing in ingredients:)

June 17th, 2009 1:46 am

BK, you are right. abhi add karta hoon. i totally forgot about the tomatoes.

3. zulekha minhas says:
    June 17th, 2009 2:14 am

i never read a recipe like this , great naration nd description , y dont u try on masala tv , ill try to translate it in urdu for daily insaaf , but i m fear it,ll loose its taste nd crisp while translating.

4. Shazia Hussain says:
    June 17th, 2009 3:52 am

Add this warning to your recipe:

When you are ready to create full-fledge afra-tafri (chaos) in the salad tray with your WASHED bare hands, make sure that you do that before you add in the green chillies otherwise you may get red, swollen hands and chant “hala la la” for the rest of the day. Personal experience! And now I remember to wear gloves before I mix these things up.

Your chaat can be prepared in 5 minutes in the U.S but in Pakistan, it takes around 15 hours! Jee Haan. Because you soak Kabuli chana overnight. Then you boil them under pressure for half an hour. And you have to wash and peel and boil and dice the potatoes and…………… you get the idea!

But aapki recipe jaisi bhi thi, it was written in a very mazedar way.

5. zulekha minhas says:
    June 17th, 2009 4:38 am

shazia,s comments r more mazedar than the recipe, rather than the chat itself, hala la la to bohat hee tasty tha hahaha

6. June 17th, 2009 5:26 am

Thanks for the hint .. I was about to ask how can we count 100 leaves in 5 minutes ;)

Looks absolutely yum :)

7. mano says:
    June 17th, 2009 6:03 am

Oh my! .. mere moun mein pani aa gya hei :P

8. adeel says:
    June 17th, 2009 7:48 am

beautifully related!

dil kush ho gaya paRh kar :-)

9. June 17th, 2009 8:22 am

You won even in Chat making Owais :)

10. Khushi Muhammad says:
    June 17th, 2009 9:16 am

“Now create full-fledge afra-tafri (chaos) in the salad tray with your WASHED bare hands. While going choatic with hands in the tray, also keep saying

11. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 17th, 2009 11:13 am

I enjoyed reading it. Looks scrumptious. So this is what did the damage to that chel chabila lanky fast bowler of not too distant a past. :)

June 17th, 2009 12:13 pm

Adnan Ahmad bhai. ji haan. desi foods have indeed made this lanky fast bowler of yester years turn into an Inzam-ul-haq looking person of today.

June 17th, 2009 12:24 pm

Ms Shazia, you are right that 5-minti recipe’ is only possible with canned ingredients. I remember hours and hours of preparation on ‘kabuli chana’ in our household. sometimes we used cooking ‘soda’ for food softening but it brought its own distinct taste to the food.

During my student days, a friend tried to make chaat and bought kabuli chanay from a local store. We didn’t have pressure cooking facility. This guy literally cooked ‘chanay’ for 6-hours and they were still as hard as pebbles.

On green chillis, you probably know this already that removing seeds helps. but i agree they can still hurt if touched bare hands for a while.

14. MH says:
    June 17th, 2009 12:41 pm

@OM,
    Not fair, some of us are reading this before lunch; a diet lunch no less :(((
    Dikha kay chaat , sataatey kyon ho
    Soee bhook sitamgar jagaatey kyon ho

Keep it up though, it was funny & reminded me of my initial forays into cooking. But in those days, no Shan masala was available here…….

15. AF Ahmad says:
    June 17th, 2009 3:51 pm

The ingredients listed here don’t have much fat in them, if at all. So this chaat is not to blame for whatever damage has been done to Owais’s “figure” :-)

June 17th, 2009 4:03 pm

AF Ahmad. sahih farmaya BUT, Figure and Dis-figure are not too far apart. Only ‘DIS’ much difference is between the two. It takes very little food to jump from former camp to latter BUT hours and hours of exercise to go back to former.

17. Benawa says:
    June 17th, 2009 9:36 pm

Chuqundar in Chat? Is that even legal? Are you sure there is no
    law against such an outrage?

18. Umar Shah says:
    June 17th, 2009 11:47 pm

Wah sahab! muh mein paani aagya.

June 18th, 2009 12:00 am

Dear “be-nawa”. Once you eat chuqandar with chat masala you may become my “hum-nawa”. You gotta try.

20. Shazia Hussain says:
    June 18th, 2009 12:29 am

“During my student days, a friend tried to make chaat and bought kabuli chanay from a local store. We didn

June 18th, 2009 12:56 am

Ms Shazia. Yes we were ‘naway paronay’ then and we were also trying to save few cents by buying raw hard ‘chanay’ instead of canned ones. You know how during student days saving money is always prime. I however doubt now if buying raw chanay was any more cheaper than canned ones.

22. Expat says:
    June 18th, 2009 1:53 am

OM

There is no salt or you forgot to put any?

Also, the taste of this chat can be taken to a new height of famous Tariq Road Chat by simply avoiding WASHING HANDS before aftra tafri.

23. Madiha says:
    June 18th, 2009 3:10 am

Excellent!!!!!!!
    The description is as delicious as the Chaaat……..Forced me to Comment. But why did u add Chukandar in it?

You keep very good germs of “MIZzAH” writing.
    So Keep it up.

June 18th, 2009 10:21 am

Chuqandar is added for ‘visual appeal’ as much as for the taste. The Reds and the Greens in the chaat contrast with each other and then they ‘public ko gher ke laate haiN’ :)

25. Arifa says:
    June 19th, 2009 3:02 am

Very nice. I hope you will do more of these.

26. Asma Mughal says:
    June 20th, 2009 6:10 pm

Owais bhai, i cant belive u actually timed the making of this, im sure ure mother wud be sooooo proud of u!! :)

27. Benawa says:
    June 21st, 2009 12:51 am

Until I can somehow find my voice, I’ll just have to keep on being a “benawa.” However, despite my life-long aversion to
    “chuqander,” I am willing to give this recipe a shot.

On the other hand, one must take Owais Baboo’s culinary
    concoctions with a grain of salt. Remember his escapade with
    those cricket playing lads back in Karachi? The rookies whom he “short-changed” with his very “long” Shorba? One can never be too careful…

28. Adam Insaan says:
    June 21st, 2009 4:44 am

…- I have been rather delighted by reading not to mention, – looking at those intensive `flavour

29. February 19th, 2010 3:45 am

Who needs Zubaida Appa or Rahat now when we have you to teach us all these easy to make dishes like Rice Masala [http://pakistaniat.com/2010/02/18/rice-masalaa-pakistani-dish-for-daily-cooking/] and this aloo chaat.. :)

I need some more recipes before i get married. Help this damsel in distress out please! :) ;)

May 21st, 2011 9:39 pm

I recently repeated the recipe’ without the ‘laal chuqandar’ – as many of the readers have suggested. Results ‘khaatir-khwaah rahay’ therefore I want to state this chaat will work ok without chuqandars too.