The First Stamps of Pakistan

Posted on February 5, 2010
Filed Under >Bilal Zuberi, Culture & Heritage, History

Bilal Zuberi

Somewhere around class 6 I realized that I needed to have a hobby?

Playing cricket on the streets or reading Ishtiaq Ahmad novels were not considered real ‘hobbies’ in my peer group. Popular hobbies were: stamp collecting, coin collecting, paper plane making, collecting dinkie cars, or drawing transformers in your school notebooks.

Well, I chose stamp collecting to be my hobby for two simple reasons: (a) an aunt gave me a stamp collecting book as a birthday present, and (b) I realized I could start a collection right away by simply going through letters mailed to my family over the past few years.

I was a hobbyist for a long time. I collected hundreds of stamps and even learnt how to trade them with friends and pen-pals. Some of my favorite stamps came from the United States and Nicaragua. Some of the most boring were from the Middle East. But anyways, I wanted to write today about the early stamps of Pakistan. I will follow up with a post on the early currency notes from Pakistan, which happened to be my brother’s hobby.

Pakistan started its journey on the 14th of August 1947. However, there was plenty of other things to worry about in managing a nascent independent country than its official stamps. So the first stamps of Pakistan were actually British Indian stamps overprinted with the word “Pakistan”. Shown here are the pictures of the 1 Ana and 6 Ana stamps. Would these qualify as Pakistan’s first stamps?

But this was not the only international aspect of the first stamps in Pakistan. According to Takashi’s essay:

When the British India was partitioned into India and Pakistan on August 1947, British Indian post offices in Dubai and Muscat were inherited by Pakistan and managed by Karachi GPO. These Pakistani post offices were closed on 1 April 1948. This chronology implies that “PAKISTAN” overprinted stamps were used in Dubai and Muscat only for 6 months from 1 Oct 1947 to 31 March 1948.

It wasn’t until July 1948, that the first set of entirely Pakistani stamps were printed. Shown is the picture of the first 1 Rupee stamp of Pakistan. The stamp has a beautiful floral pattern with the chand and stitara motif, and an Urdu inscription reading Pakistan Zindabad, i.e. Long Live Pakistan. Some would call this the first official stamp of Pakistan.

ATP has provided rare glimpses into the history of the State of Bahawalpur (e.g. here), and when it comes to stamps, there is some unique history to be shared once again. From 1947 onwards, and up until 1949, the State of Bahawalpur issued it own stamps. Again from Takashi’s essay:

The photo on the [left] shows a set of four stamps issued in 1949. These stamps were beautifully engraved and shows industrial symbols of Bahawalpur: irrigation barrage, wheat, cotton, and local bullock. About 60 Bahawalpur stamps were issued and all of them are in high quality, reflecting the hobby of the state’s ruler (he himself was an enthusiastic philatelist).

The next big change in stamps occured in 1961 when the country moved to decimal currency system. Gone were the anas, and the paisas were in. Again there was a shortage of stamps and the new currency denomination was simply printed over the existing stamps. Interesting errors are found in the stamps from that era, and some of bloopers can be seen in the pictures below.

Since 1947, Pakistan has been printing stamps regularly, and according to one catalogue over 750 stamps were printed between 1947 and 1990. These stamps have been of various categories: service stamps (used by government agencies to mail material), regular stamps, and commemorative stamps.

In 1952, the Pakistan Postal Service issued an interesting commemorative stamp on the 100th anniversary of the oldest stamp in Asia. The original was called the “Scinde Dak” and was used in Karachi and surrounding regions in Sind. The centenar stamp was for 3 anas and shows the camel caravans that were used to carry the early mail.

I don’t get as much postal mail as I used to in the past. But still, on Eid and other occasions, when I get the cards mailed to me I still take long look at the stamps before opening the envelope. Some habits never die.

76 Comments on “The First Stamps of Pakistan”

1. sepoy says:
    December 8th, 2006 12:52 am

delightful post.
    i have a question: do you have this stamp, by any chance?

(Details here)

I am looking for a better scan of it.

you shall help a fellow finish his dissertation.

m

2. December 8th, 2006 1:39 am

informative post and I thankyou for that. There were stamps after nuclear test as well,no?

3. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    December 8th, 2006 9:06 am

In forties and fifties there were no human images on stamps or for that matter on currency in Pakistan. The first set of stamps with a human face on them were those of Field Martial-President Mohammad Ayub Khan. Later came the images of the father of the nation, Quaid-e-Azam, Mohammad Ali Jinnah. Also earlier stamps and currency notes had no printing in Bengali language Bangla. That also came much later. The 1948 stamp shown above in watermelon color was printed in various colors for other dimensions as well. Interesting.

December 8th, 2006 10:24 am

images of stamps makes this post very colorful. Reading about the Dubai/Muscat postal services falling under Pakistan for a 6 month period is very interesting for me. ‘Scinde Dak’ piece is also very informative.

5. Deeda-i-Beena says:
    December 8th, 2006 12:33 pm

Thanks Bilal Zuberi for a great post.
    Brought plentiful nostalgia to a one-time stamp collector. I lost mine to the floods in Lahore.
    Another hobby of our boyhood was Autograph hunting.

For some budding Internet researcher, may I add that UN has a Post Office and issues its own Postage stamps depicting countries,arts etc. It maybe worth some research. One Pakistani UN Staffmember,Rashid ud Din designed a number of the UN stamps. He also designed the cover of (first edition)of Marmaduke Pickethal’s translation of the Quraan.

6. Asma says:
    December 8th, 2006 2:43 pm

Now that’s a wonderful post … quite a detailed insight into Pakistani stamps … Thanks for this … I too had a bit of interest in Stamp collection in my childhood … but my sis used to collect I used to enjoy them :>

7. December 9th, 2006 1:27 am

Sepoy… between you and me, I hope the dissertation is not on hold JUST becasue of the lack of a better scanned image of a stamp ;-)

8. December 9th, 2006 2:34 am

Bilal, thank you for this wonderful post and the many memories it evokes. I was a serious stamp collector for a while but more than that have been – and remain – a great stamps fan becasue the choices made in what we depict on our stamps are a great snapshot of the essence of nations… in Pakistan’s case, of our Pakistaniat. Have always thought that there is a great book waiting to be written by someone that tells Pakistan’s history – and our changing notions of Pakistaniat – in stamps….

At one point I thought I would write that book ;-) Indeed, (thanks to the encouragement of Ahmad Hassan, then city editor at the now-defunt Daily Muslim) I was for a number of years the ‘stamps reviewer’ for that newspaper… yes, there is such a think… I wrote stamp reviews of new stamps… Actually I think that we have had some really nice stamps – both thematically and artistically. One of my favorite was the series of stamps on Independence Movement leaders that were released in the late 1980s…. but then there are so very many very memorable stamps…. we should have more on this topic.

9. sepoy says:
    December 9th, 2006 12:34 pm

Adil Sahib, I need the stamp to ‘mail it in’. Ahem.

it’s not nice to make jugats on poor suffering souls.
    ps. a post on that punjabi speciality: jugatbazi!

10. ahmed says:
    December 10th, 2006 8:41 am

A most interesting post evoking loving memories of ages gone by. This started another train of thought. Gone is the time when we dealt in paisas and annas– and they seemed respectable enough and we were contented . Now, it is not even lakhs but crores, and we are not.

O, What a fall is there , my countrymen….!
    (With apologies to Shakespeare)

11. December 11th, 2006 3:10 pm

Very interesting to see so many stamp collectors on this forum. Many of the stamps you mentioned above were in my collection as well. Do you remember the golden Jinnah stamp (1977) and the trapezoidal moenjodaro stamp?

12. Ghalib says:
    December 12th, 2006 12:33 am

Zuberi!
    awesome great as i was a stamp collector too in late 80s!an on the look fer stamps everywhere samp exchange an lettin ur relatives know to save stamps!HAHA memories i still have all of them!puttin the stamps in plate filled with water to remove the envelop paper an lookin fer damaged stamps at exchanges!
    its a hobby that makes u learn alot abt the countries their traditions currency!its wikipedia in it self!
    “a thing of beauty is a joy for ever” thanks fer sharing it!!!!

13. January 16th, 2007 4:46 am

Salam
    Apan ko stams jama kerney ka shok huwa
    saly shoq shoq main apan ne pasa ujar dya
    apna ke sala dost kehta tha ke ye ky kya
    apan bola tum sala log ko kya
    phir bhi apan nai jari rakha
    any ways it is a good time pass

14. February 12th, 2007 7:45 am

Sincere BAHAWALPURIAN.
    Hammad

15. February 12th, 2007 7:46 am

[quote comment="33783"]well, very appreciating this site is,Iam a stamp collector, if any one has collection of BAHAWALPUR STATE STAMPS be contact to me, for more of favourable rates of the STAMPS,Any DOnation of STAMPS will be highly appreciated ,
    Sincere BAHAWALPURIAN.
    Hammad[/quote]

16. February 12th, 2007 7:48 am

will you be replied on my email hammaddakhna@hotmail.com for stamps collection,

17. February 22nd, 2007 7:34 am

Hello Friends
    Visit my Site: http://www.aliphilatelic.com

For All Pakistan Topical Stamps.

Contact Me: info@aliphilatelic.com

my email is rzwan.abad@gmail.com
    n visite my site http://www.stampsworld.20m.com
    i m waite ur responce
    bye bye

20. ahsan munir says:
    February 24th, 2007 11:57 am

i would like to sell my stamp collection ,,anyone interested to please contact me on my email.

21. ahsan munir says:
    February 24th, 2007 12:01 pm

i would like to sell my stamp collection as it is of no use to me now ….please contact me on my email address ,,,,ahsanmunir786@yahoo.com

22. March 11th, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello there, I am glad to know there are still many stamp collectors out there. I am a stamp collector too and have a good collection. I have many rare stamps and I wish to sell out my collection. Anyone interested?

23. Saifullah Ghauri says:
    June 1st, 2007 6:30 am

I have many old stamps collection of Pakistan and Bahawalpur and want to sell. If anyone interested, contact me on my e-mail address “saifghauri@hotmail.com”

24. zahid rathore says:
    June 13th, 2007 6:20 am

sir,
    i need stap issued durring october 1964 with their dates.

regards

ZAHID RATHORE

25. Shueyb Gandapur says:
    June 25th, 2007 10:41 am

Great post! I used to be so much obsessed with stamp collection that my parents would act worried that this hobby would not let me become something in life. Also, whenever we siblings had a fight with me, they would threaten me with destroying my stamps, and I would readily give in to save my stamps. I would make sure not to spare anyone in family, friends and acquaintances to keep any stamps for me that they find.

I still treasure my collection of about 10,000 stamps, but can’t pursue the hobby with such fervour as I used to during my teen-age. And in fact, I believe this hobby has helped me a lot in knowing about the cultures, personages, heritage, and whole lot of invaluable information about countries of the world. Often, it happened later in life that I would come to know about events or personalities in history which I had already seen depicted on my stamps. I still believe it is one great hobby.

26. jahiz barlas says:
    July 1st, 2007 8:24 pm

hello all,
    if you interested in selling your bahawalpur or early pakistan stamps (pre 80s, esp mint ones in lots), im interested.
    please contact me at jahizbarlas@hotmail.com for more details. please also include pictures.
    thanks,
    jahiz

27. M Zargham Haider says:
    August 2nd, 2007 6:14 am

nice site…i want to purchase stamps of pakistan contact me at hallodost@hotmail.com
    +92-321-4454424

28. Saadia says:
    August 3rd, 2007 11:45 am

This has nothing to do with stamps, although I loved the post (no pun intended), but it does have something to do with research projects (like dissertations): can anyone tell me when the PTV drama Shahzori aired? I just need to know whether it was before or after 1971. And if any of the wonderful readers of this blog can identify (any PTV dramas from the pre-1971 days, I would be forever grateful.

29. ingrid says:
    September 30th, 2007 3:52 pm

A very interesting site,I read it with great pleasure.
    I collect flowers on stamps and have found a stamp from Pakistan on which are small white flowers.On the stamp (triangle shape) it says :
    constitution 1962
    Can you tell me something about the stamp andwhich flower it is that is shown on this stamp.
    Thank you very much.
    Mrs.ingris schulting from the Netherland( Europe)

30. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    October 2nd, 2007 7:25 am

Bilal Zuberi,

very good collection, myself had been collector in 60s to 80s,
    I think Pakistan has the best varities of Stamps in the world.

31. Tayyab says:
    October 15th, 2007 2:59 am

Visit Pakistan’s First Postal Stamp Collection website where you can find a lot may postal stamps of Pakistan and other countries. You can send postal stamps to upload your stamp collection on this website.

Regards

Tayyab Ilyas

32. Faraz Ahmed says:
    November 5th, 2007 5:22 am

stamp for saleout

33. December 11th, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi! My name is Akhtar ul Islam Siddiqui.I collect Pakistan postage stamps,Mint,Blocks,Errors and Varrieties,FDCs,Postal Stationary etc.Please visit my web site http://www.pakistanphilately.com Thanks
    Siddiqui

34. December 23rd, 2007 4:59 am

hi! My name is Akhtar ul Islam Siddiqui.I collect postage stamps of Pakistan,Mint,Single ,Block of Four Errors and
    Varrieties ,FDCs and postal stationary.Please visit my website http://www.pakistanphilately.com and my email address is akhtarsiddiqui65@yahoo.com.I visited the websie pkistaniat.com.I congratulate Mr.Owais for this great work.

Siddiqui

35. Asim Nawaz says:
    January 1st, 2008 1:25 am

My name is Asim Nawaz. I can teach computer science in Government College University Lahore. I have collection of no of stamps. I would like to exchange stamps to other members of your club. My home address is
    Asim Nawaz
    127-Karam Elahi Park Rajgarh,
    Lahore Pakistan.

36. January 2nd, 2008 11:19 am

hI! My name is Akhtar ul Islam Siddiqui.Happy New Year 2008 to all friends. I collect Pakistan Postage Stamps.I have a good mint collection in single,Block of 4,FDCs ,Stationary.If you feel any problum in Pakistan stamps please contact me .My email address akhtarsiddiqui65@yahoo.com .My Web site is http://www.pakistanphilately.com.Thanks
    Siddiqui
    22-J-Z Madina Town,Faislabad.Pakistan Ph:041-8544192

37. March 5th, 2008 2:22 pm

hi! My name is M. Ali Jahangir.I collect postage stamps of Pakistan,Mint,Single ,Block of Four Errors and
    Varrieties ,FDCs and postal stationary.Please visit my website http://www.majstamps.com and my email address is stamps@super.net.pk.I visited the websie pkistaniat.com.I congratulate Mr.Owais for this great work.

M. Ali Jahangir
    0333 2103177 Karachi

38. March 30th, 2008 4:08 pm

I lived in karachi
    want to sell stamps a to z
    Help me
    names the dealers in karachi to buy stamps

39. jalal says:
    April 2nd, 2008 5:01 am

Nice to see people still interested in stamp collecting and old stamps.
    In my site about Pakistan, I have a special section for stamps of Pakistan.
    ( http://www.pakistanpaedia.com/abt_stamps.html )

Visitors and stamp lovers may find it interesting

jalal

40. shah says:
    April 5th, 2008 9:29 am

Dear sir , i have rare stamps if you need email me ,

K.A.SHAH

Macao,MACAU.(ASIA).

43. June 27th, 2008 4:08 pm

I lived in karachi – PAKISTAN
    stamps for sell A to Z old [1840 -1960 ]
    my – E- mail= munazzah_barbie@hotmail.com
    a

also pakistani stamps such as pakistani first stamp; over print
    on india stamps and many more also first covers of pakistan-
    indian”s states ,stamps over print on British stamps
    no exchange olny sell by one to one basis

44. Mujtaba says:
    July 11th, 2008 1:43 am

I have some 160 Bangladesh overprint MNH for sell. Anybody interested? Write me at: muntasinmujtaba@gmail.com

45. Connor paul says:
    August 17th, 2008 11:22 am

Hi, i have recently come into possesion of a Pakistani postage stamp. I cant find any sites that detail this stamp so I was wondering if any of you guys could help me.
    It is a green stamp, about this size when on it’s side.
    ___________
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |__________|

I am unsure of the crest on it, but it is sort of like a symetrical plant, with a small white star above a circle with foreign wirting in it’s center.
    Along the bottom it says
    As 4 Pakistan Postage
    Thanks for your help.

46. Khalid Aziz says:
    August 27th, 2008 4:40 pm

Hello
    My name is Khalid Aziz and my email address is khalid.aziz@live.com My cell number is 0333-4510716. I have a very big collection of pakistan posatge stamps. If anyone interested to but please contact me thanks
    Regards

47. Ahmed Abbas Maswood says:
    September 19th, 2008 2:54 pm

Greetings from an Indian philatelist !
    I liked the post as well as the warm comments from Shueyb Gandapur,which actually captures the essence of philately – the king of hobbies.
    Would like to catch up with philatelists interested in postal stationery.
    Available on aamaswood@gmail.com
    Reply guaranteed !
    Cheers,
    Abbas.

48. Hammad says:
    September 27th, 2008 1:37 pm

my name is hammad and i live in hyderabad pakistan. i have some unique postage stamps of pakistan and other countries and i want to sale out my contact number is 0300_3441548.

49. shariq naqvi says:
    October 4th, 2008 11:00 am

i have some rare collection of stamps an iwant sell it my #is 03322240389 , 03212769438

50. November 11th, 2008 4:27 am

assalam-o-alakum to all philatelist national and international.I m khattak tariq Khattak from Peshawar (Pakistan).i collect mint stamp of Pakistan,Aghanistan,Ukraine,Bangladesh and used UAE,Pakistan,,,,,,,,,In theme.Automobile,butterfly,stamp on stamps,Beijing Olympics2008.i will give all in exchag folloing items.phone cards of pakistan,afghanistan,UAE, etc. please contect me if possible on postal address;GPO PO box No.595 Peshawar 25000 (Pakistan)E.mail.tariqkhattak60@hotmail.com w/site.www.stampsociety.com

51. November 11th, 2008 4:33 am

Assalam-o-alakum Mr.A.I. Sidiqi,i visit your site wanderfuly nice cangratulation.i hope this w/site better for philatelists national and international.thel will help them.once againe mubark bad kabol ho. Your sincerely Tariq Khattak

52. January 28th, 2009 8:40 am

I Collect Pakistan Postage Stamps,FDCs,Postmarks,Postal Stationary and all philatelic items.I can supply mint stamps from 1947 – 2009. Visit my website http://www.pakistanphilately.com
    my email address is akhtarsiddiqui655@gmail.com.

53. February 13th, 2009 6:08 am

hi! My name is Akhtar ul Islam Siddiqui.Happy New Year 2009 to all friends. I collect Pakistan Postage Stamps.I have a good mint collection in single,Block of 4,FDCs ,Stationary.If you feel any problum in Pakistan stamps please contact me .My email address akhtarsiddiqui655@yahoo.com .My Web site is http://www.pakistanphilately.com.Thanks
    Siddiqui
    22-J-Z Madina Town,Faislabad.Pakistan Ph:0333-6538153

54. Rizwan Wahid Faisalabad says:
    March 6th, 2009 9:45 am

Hi There!
    Razi from pakistan here with a lots of unique and beautiful postal stamps of many countries especialy from pakistan. And I would like to Sell them all in very little price, my main object to sell them is that to hand over stamps to someone who care this collection and carry on.

IF SOMEONE INTRESTED TO BUY SO PLEASE CONTACT ME @ 0092-0300-6690166 OR 0092-041-8789714

55. Akbar Durrani says:
    June 11th, 2009 2:04 pm

Dear Friends,

I am interested in purchasing PAKISTAN mint sheets, Blocks and leaflets and good postal history Original.

Please feel free to email me, but please do not spam me.

Akbar Durrani
    durrani.akbar@gmail.com

P.S. I am working on PAKISTAN image building using Stamps, Yes! I buy and send FREE stamps to collectors all anywhere in the world,

56. June 11th, 2009 3:56 pm

Very nice collection.
    People like you keep link with the past and remind us of our national identity.
    Thanks

57. Syed Mubashir Abbas says:
    August 1st, 2009 7:48 am

Dear friends, I have a very rare collection of stamps and I am interested in their sale on priority basis. Anyone interested may please contact.

Mubashir Abbas
    0300-2361507

58. zahid says:
    November 13th, 2009 6:57 am

Pakistan Zaindabad.

59. ali khan says:
    December 27th, 2009 5:24 pm

does any wanna start a “Electric Car business” with me….

its really amazing…. you can convert any car in less than $7000 thats 560000 Rupees.

all you need to do is

1. Throw away the Engine….

2. Put Batteries and a Motor……

Never worry about Patrol or Diesel or CNG …. or changing Oil…..

I have Toyota 2.oD and i put almost 2800 Rupees on Deisel every week….. thats almost 12000/month…. and I dont use this car that much…. and I have to think about how expensive its getting to use my Car…..

you drive your Car for free….for the rest of its lifetime…..

- 10 Minutes of Charging give you over 100 Miles
    - Speed upto 100 miles/ hour..

The process is so Simple, People in USA and Europe are doing it in their home…. who have no mechanical background…..

see for your self …. search ” Home Made Electric Car ” on Youtube.com

any one interested reply to me…

also charging your Car for the whole month cost less than 600 Rupees….

Thanks
    Ali Khan

60. December 29th, 2009 10:19 am

hello,wonderful w/site i realy like it beat for promot the philately, congratulated to all teams,, i m from peshawar.i am stamp collecting.
    i collect in themes: automobile,birds,animal(specialy donky on stamps),pollar,butterfly,flag og pakistan,stamp on stamps and light house.

i collect in coutry collection: pakistan,afghanistan,ukraine,iran,bangladesh,UAE.

postal stationary: only pakistan.

any body contect me please use my these sorsis. thanks

GPO PO BOX NO.595 Peshawar 25000 (PAKISTAN)

Email: tariqkhattak60@hotmail.com
    w/sie: http://www.stampsociety.com
    mobile: 03319046139

thanks:

61. January 1st, 2010 6:24 am

Happy New Year to all the philatelists . Please visit our following websites for details about Pakistan Philately:
    Visit On line Catalogue of Pakistan 1947 -2010 at our website
    Akhtar ul Islam Siddiqui,22-J-Z Madina Town, Faisalabad.Pakistan

62. Schajee says:
    February 5th, 2010 2:53 pm

I guess this post has gone to the dogs. I was half expecting a few interesting comments considering this hobby, but I guess people are more interested in trading than telling stories about their stamps.

To all those wanting to buy or sell, would be so kind to add to the narrative. Tell us stories of how you’ve come about your collection or if there are any special stamps and their stories that you might like to share with us.

63. adeel says:
    February 6th, 2010 12:28 am

I just realized after looking at the comments from previous years that this is a recycled post.

But nice one. I didn’t know there was protocol to trading stamps. :-) I used to exchange stamps with my cousins based solely on the visual factors e.g., beauty and size of the stamps being exchanged. Our background knowledge of the actual stamp was fairly limited… so we’d exchange a bigger stamp for two small ones. Or one colourful one with two less coloured ones.

64. March 21st, 2010 6:26 am

Yes, I am also one of the senior Pakistani stamp collectors. These sites can help us promote philately in Pakistan. We are determind to keep it alive. Let us give hands and work together to get Pakistan introduced to the world through PHILATELY !
    I wish to exchange with other collectors on my following address :-
    Y M Kakar,
    P O Box – 18, GPO,
    Quetta – 87300
    Pakistan.

65. March 21st, 2010 6:31 am

Hi, everyonethere. I wish to be among you pals and exchange stamps, used covers and FDCs as also exchange of information on philately. This will help contribute towards promotion of Philately in Pakistan and help our teenagers to come to this interesting field. If you make mind to write me here is my address :-
    Y M Kakar,
    P O Box-18, GPO.
    Quetta-87300
    Pakistan.

66. May 14th, 2010 6:32 am

Hello ,
    I am phonecard collector from Belgium, but I have a huge Pakistan Phonecard collection gathered in the years .. (around 500 different phonecards)
    See my site , and let me know if you have offerings of those white provisional cards .. or anything that is not listed ..