Posted on May 28, 2011
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music, People, Society

Music is on my mind again. Literally. This song has been playing non-stop in my mind as well as in my headphones for two weeks now (ever since I did my last post on Arieb Azhar’s music). I thought it would be overkill to write, yet again, about him and his music, but the lyrics of this song are just not letting go of me. Not right now. Not with all that I am thinking on Pakistan right now. Not with all that is happening in Pakistan right now.

I had thought I could shake this off, but on my computer, in my car, and on a (very) long journey to Africa and back, this song has become the soundtrack of my thoughts – even when there was not a contraption to digitally play it. It really is the words that get to me.

These are not my words, but they are my thoughts. All the more so today when the only thing more troubling than the events besetting Pakistan is the sense of disdain, despondency and dejection that seem to have gripped even the most resolute of us and everyone seems to be giving up. I am not just ready to do so. Nor is this song. And that is why I write yet another post on Arieb Azhar and his ‘Sufi Folk.’

For those who seek more information on Arieb Azhar, I did figure out that he has his own website, and there are plenty of recordings of his new songs online. There are actually many versions of this very song – Mairey Des Mein hain Imkaan Buhat, Aas, Umeed, Armaan Buhat – including one official video of this song and some in higher sound quality. However, for some reason this version gets to me the most. Maybe because you can see him perform, and perform with passion. (I did wonder if there was a political manifesto or choice behind this song; if there is, I do not know of it; nor would I care, since the words speak to you irrespective of your politics). There are other songs that are also extremely powerful: my favorite amongst them is Aaj tou keh dey, aaj tou keh dey, aaj alal-ailaan. This recording from The Guitar School is mesmerizing despite its rickety sound quality.

20 Comments on “Arieb Azhar, Yet Again: Meray Des Mein Hain Imkaan Bohat; Aas, Umeed, Armaan Bohat”

1. Bushra says:
    May 29th, 2011 3:01 am

Adil Bhai, I hear this and I have tears in my eyes.
    Thank you for posting this, specially at this time.

2. Jawed says:
    May 29th, 2011 4:40 am

Nice song. And sung from the heart.

3. Kamran says:
    May 29th, 2011 5:02 am

What is the point. Pakistan is going down and our generals and politicians are all crooks. Actually, all Pakistanis are crooks. Probably this guy too.

4. HArooN says:
    May 29th, 2011 5:07 am

Hell with you @Kamran
    You are the only crook here – either an Indian using a false name to spread hatred or a self-hating ediot Pakistani. In either case, I am sick and tired of this. Moun bhaiRa hoey tay gal changi karni chaeedi! If you dont have anything constructive to say then shut up. Just shut up. If you are so worried about Pakistan then do something. Spewing this negativity is no use in fact it is itself a form of corruption. Arieb Azhar actually picked up his guitar to change the narrative, Adil Najam actually writes every day to try to think of solutions and ways out of this. What have you done except vomit this hatred for Pakistan. ENOUGH. NO MORE TOLERANCE FOR THIS HATE FROM SELF-HATING PAKISTANIS OR OUTSIDERS.

5. Azra says:
    May 29th, 2011 5:10 am

Well done HArooN! Bravo.

I have the been having same reaction recently. I don’t like Zardari and I don’t like military, but I think these self-hating types are getting too out of control. If they had an alternative or a solution I would listen to them, but right now all they have is hate.

These sickening comments from people like Kamran (though I think he is one of those Indian wannabes) is getting on my nerves too. So glad you spoke up!

6. Zareen says:
    May 29th, 2011 5:44 am

Bravo Haroon for taking on Kamran!! Sick and tired of such thinking!! Enough!
    We need actions, solutions and something constructive – no matter what!
    Hope is a powerful word, Pakistan and Pakistanis have huge potential. We need to find sincere and honest leadership. We will rise, InshAllah!!

7. Eidee Man says:
    May 29th, 2011 7:56 am

Brilliant. Also check out Saif-ul-Malook:

8. Jabbar says:
    May 29th, 2011 11:08 am

Excellent find. This man is amazing voice and also choice of words

9. May 29th, 2011 11:38 am

Adil,
    Needed to hear this song before going to sleep. I will sleep well now. I know 180 million people won’t give up on a beautiful dream. I won’t.

10. Anwer says:

اور کبھی فتنۂ ناگاہ سے ڈر کر چونکیں
    تو رہیں سدِّ نگاہ نیند کے بھاری پردے

ہم محبت کے خرابوں کے مکیں
    ایسے تاریک خرابے کہ جہاں
    دور سے تیز پلٹ جائیں ضیا کے آہو
    ایک، بس ایک، صدا گونجتی ہے
    شبِ آلام کی “یا ہو یا ہو”

ہم محبت کے خرابوں کے مکیں
    ریگِ دیروز میں خوابوں کے شجر بوتے رہے
    سایہ ناپید تھا، سائے کی تمنّا کے تلے سوتے رہے

ن – م – راشد

11. Mustafa says:
    May 29th, 2011 4:16 pm

Agree- I needed to hear this last evening and I need this to start my day. My resolve and convictions are only stronger. I would not give up!

Thanks!

12. Mohammed Amjad says:
    May 29th, 2011 9:09 pm

Sing all the songs and write all the posts you want, they will make no difference. Our generals are useless and only people more useless are our politicians. This country is doomed and we should just accept that. We are a nation of duffers from top to boottom.

13. ASAD says:
    May 29th, 2011 10:51 pm

@Mohammad Amjad. If we are doomed we are doomed because of people like you. Read HArooN’s comment earlier – it is about you. Yes, our generals and our politicians may be useless. But most useless are drawing room fools like yourself who keep vomiting their negative ideas and hatred for Pakistan. As HArooN said, our biggest problem, even bigger than generals and politicians is self-haters like you.

Pakistan is not doomed, but Pakistan haters like you, like the Taliban, like the dictator-lovers, and all others, are.

14. Gardezi says:
    May 29th, 2011 11:48 pm

Thank you ATP for putting this up. This disease of depression is getting too much and we need to start talking about solutions.

15. Lubna says:
    May 30th, 2011 10:00 am

What an amazing find. Soothing in so many ways. Thank you.

16. ShahidnUSA says:
    May 30th, 2011 11:28 am

I had to repeat the song. Not just to understand the lyrics but I loved the music as well.

Yes Loved it!!

17. Harris Qari says:
    May 31st, 2011 12:50 pm

This is a great song by Arieb Azhar, I got to say that his song has inspired me to do something for my country. I did a little research and found that Arieb dedicated this song to a movement by the name Azm-e-Alishan.
    I would recommend all here to check out there facebook page and website, these people are doing some great work for us.

18. Harris Qari says:
    May 31st, 2011 2:12 pm

I believe Arieb has done a great job with this song and it should be an inspiration for us all. I did a little research and found that Arieb had dedicated this song to a movement Azme Alishan. I believe these guys are doing a great job.We as youth of the nation should join hands and help these guys

19. Talha says:
    May 31st, 2011 3:28 pm

Arieb’s words are too strong and should not be ignored by any Pakistani. Truth is that Pakistan is a land of opportunities, but we have stopped realizing that amid all the chaos and more so the perception of chaos created around us. We can and InshaAllah will rise as a nation.

meray des mein hain imkaan buhat.
    aas, umeed, armaan buhat…..

May Allah help Pakistan….

20. coldrain says:
    June 1st, 2011 6:24 am

Amazing. Absolutely beautiful. Left speechless. Pakistan Hamesha Zindabad.