ATP Quiz: Where in Pakistan is this, and What is it?

Posted on May 30, 2007
Filed Under >Darwaish, ATP Quiz, History, Travel

Darwaish

Nah, this isn’t Grand Canyon and this can’t be some sort of copy of Statue of Liberty either. No torch, you see. So let’s see how many of you can guess what is this thing and exactly where? I am sure many readers would be surprised to know how this thing got its name. Happy guessing :)

25 Comments on “ATP Quiz: Where in Pakistan is this, and What is it?”

1. May 30th, 2007 12:54 pm

somewhere near gadaani?

2. Sunil says:
    May 30th, 2007 1:04 pm

I dont exactly remember the name but this thing is located between Karachi and Gawadar on Makran Coastal Highway

3. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    May 30th, 2007 2:20 pm

Elementary Darwaish. Elementary. It is a pinnacle formed by the partial weathering of sedimentary claystone rock formation of Makran Coast Range running parallel to the Balochistan coast line in Pakistan. Next?

4. May 30th, 2007 2:58 pm

I am pretty sure that I can guess it. This is the picture of a small island off the coast of Karachi. You can view those islands from Keamari and also from Clifton beach.

Indication of Statue of liberty in post is another clue due to their similar locations both on the sea.

5. May 30th, 2007 3:16 pm

Probably Super Highway between Karachi and Hyderabad there are many such rock formations

6. Farrukh says:
    May 30th, 2007 6:21 pm

The post suggests this place has a special name.. I have no idea because I have never seen it… but it does look lik the statue of a person so I assume its something like that…

7. hina says:
    May 30th, 2007 7:25 pm

This statue has been named as “The Princes of Hope” and can be found along the Makran Coastal Highway in Balochistan

8. Raja Imran says:
    May 31st, 2007 12:00 am

The statue has been formed by climatic and weather changes and is situated on Makran Coastal Highway.During the Construction of the highway Engineers gave it the name “Princess of The Hope”.On COastal high way there is a roadsigh describing the direction of the statue.

9. Asma says:
    May 31st, 2007 12:26 am

somewhere in Balochistan :?

10. iceCube says:
    May 31st, 2007 7:21 am

Whatever it is (and wherever it is), it is quite a site.

11. Shah says:
    May 31st, 2007 10:32 am

This one is along side Makran Coastal Highway. The exact location is Buzi Pass (also called Gomazi pass) appoximately 100 km short of Ormara when approching from Karachi.

12. Hasan says:
    May 31st, 2007 10:52 am

As eluded to in earlier posts, this is indeed the “Princess of Hope”, located in Makran. The other aspect of the story that Adil said might surprise people is how the statue acquired its name. The astounding answer is that Imran Khan’s former wife (Jemima/Haiqa) had invited her friend Angelina to Pakistan some years ago, and upon visiting the site in Baluchistan, the hollywood actress named it Princess of Hope. While it is heartening to note the appreciation shown by a foreign celebrity to our natural treasures, we should be ashamed of ourselves for not even being aware of, let alone appreciating our geological and cultural heritage. The statue should be renamed to an urdu name to reflect her indigenous origins. Perhaps Khatoon-e-Amaan / Shehzadi-e-Makraan could be a good choice. Suggestions?

13. tina says:
    May 31st, 2007 11:45 am

I didn’t want to venture a guess because I had no idea but I just have to say, wow, we have some awesome readers on this site. Darwaish, you will have to work harder to stump this group. Way to go, guys.

14. Karim Jindani says:
    May 31st, 2007 1:44 pm

Yes, it’s on Mekran Coastal Highway, The princess of hope.. I had the chance to see it with my own eyes.. What a scene !!

See more mesmerizing photos of Makran Coastal Highway @

15. MQ says:
    May 31st, 2007 2:44 pm

Now that the location of this natural sculpture — Makran coast — is settled, one can’t help wondering that it is not only man (and woman) who carves statues. Nature does it too.

16. iblees says:
    May 31st, 2007 2:53 pm

Is it, khawar? :|

17. Hussain says:
    June 1st, 2007 2:01 am

I have never seen this but it looks nice. waiting to find more about it.

18. Darwaish says:
    June 1st, 2007 5:24 am

Looks like we have some really smart and knowledgeable readers here. I will see if I can come up with something really really tough next time.

Anyways the status above is called Princess of Hope or Princess of Good Hope as many readers guessed correctly. This is an art work of nature, a rock outcrop along the Buzi Pass (beyond the crocodile-infested Hingol River) that resembles a lady standing upright in a royal pose. It was named the “Princess of Hopeâ€

19. Darwaish says:
    June 1st, 2007 5:30 am

Iblees! :D

20. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    June 1st, 2007 10:59 am

Hate to spoil the party but this pinnacle too, like the formation around it, will decompose and weather away with time. So enjoy it while it is there. Or should this ‘lady’ be saved and preserved for generations to come?

June 2nd, 2007 12:38 am

Darwaish, the ‘iblees’ title made me laugh :)

22. jayjay says:
    June 2nd, 2007 7:23 am

I fear our princess might meet the fate of Bamiyan Budhas or the Bodhi Tree of Islamabad before nature takes starts taking its toll.

23. June 3rd, 2007 1:56 am

In Baloochistan on the winding and at times trecherous road from Sui to Dera Bugti we have something similar on a hilltop similar to the aforementioned wind carving.

I was told that it is the face of a lad and is known as Thear Choro.

It seems like the Princess of Hope has a Bugti soul mate.

CheerS

24. AO says:
    June 4th, 2007 1:04 pm

I do not know if that is the same sleeping beauty that you refer to as near Quetta, but very close to the Princes of Hope formation, by the Hingol River, one can make out the sillohette of another Sleeping Beauty. This can be seen after dusk, facing north from Aghore Camp (on the east bank of the Hingol River).

For more information on the Hingol area, see the Hingol FAQ [http://offroadpakistan.com/places/the_hingol_faq.html]

25. Darwaish says:
    June 4th, 2007 2:31 pm

AO: Yes it is the same one. I actually gave offroadpakistan.com link in my comment above. Some of your pictures are stunning really, nice work :). Is it possible for you to share some information about Aghore Tower? and some pictures too? We would love to hear from you.