Sindhi Poetry at ATP: faasla

Posted on February 21, 2008
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Poetry

Owais Mughal

This poem was published on February 20, 2008 in The Daily Kawish. Poetess is Shagufta Jabeen. I think it is a very beautiful poem. I have tried to translate it below the Sindhi text (next page), but my translation is a bit amateurish. Any correction or suggestions from our seasoned readers will be appreciated.

Distances

The walking feet of time
are always in motion
The last sunset of December
which made a dazzlng show of colors
was nothing but an illusion
But
In the small interval of passing time
Our love, hate, separations
and closeness
and all references to my personal self are erased
In the journey from being very close to become a stranger
I am only left measuring distances
I am only left measuring distances

One of my good friends, Abrar Siddiqui who claims to know more Sindhi than me has sent following translation. Please take a look:

Running against the time
Like always
The last sunset of December
So dyed in infinite colors
Has become nothing but an illusion
But…
In this brief interlude of passing time
Our love, hatred, parting and greeting
And all that I am to myself
In a journey from consciousness to oblivion
Yet again…
Keeps on only scoping the differences

Mr. Latif Noorani, an avid reader of ATP has sent the following translation of the poem:

Tracing the footprints of time
Like always
Offering a scene
Of rainbow colours
The parting sun of December
Has become an illusion
But in that brief space of passing moments
Our affections, aversions, partings, meetings
And all references to our person
In the journey from familiar to unfamiliar
This year, too,
Scaled the distances alone
Scaled the distances alone…

Acknowledgements: Abrar Siddiqui, Zameer Soomro and Abdul Mujeer Qureshi
References: The Daily Kawish

25 Comments on “Sindhi Poetry at ATP: faasla

1. February 21st, 2008 8:42 am

What a beautiful and delicate poem! Can a Sindhi speaker please transliterate it? as I would like to know how it sounds (an mp3 of someone speaking it would be awesome) I have tried to look for a sindhi tutorial online but to no avail… maybe a kind ATP reader would point me in that direction?

Although I think viChoRaa is more in the sense of “FiraaQ” in Urdu and “Rabitah” (in my mind) is closer to the concept of “viSaal” etc.

February 21st, 2008 11:27 am

Tab’an Khamosh, you are right, ‘vichora’ is more like ‘furaaq’ or ‘bicharna’.

February 21st, 2008 3:47 pm

A translation of the poem sent by Abrar Siddiqui is added to the post.

4. faraz siddiqui says:
    February 21st, 2008 4:51 pm

Beautiful poetry.

It made me remember last sunset and first sunrise of this year. I am in USA for seven year and thinks where my life is going. What about my dreams in life. Will I be at standing at same position after 7 years?

Only thing I can count is number of years.

5. Ayaz Siddiqui says:
    February 21st, 2008 9:11 pm

kia zalim cheez dhoondi hai bhai

6. Adnan Ahmad says:
    February 21st, 2008 9:21 pm

I enjoyed both versions. About 15 years ago I would not have needed a translation to this. Now I do – which is sad.

7. Latif Noonari says:
    February 22nd, 2008 3:24 am

Dear Owais,
    Thanks for posting Sindhi Poetry. The translated versions are approximately close to the original. Here is one more, a literal translation. It would be great if all pakistani languges are given a thread. There is no dearth of beauty or sensitivity in any language. Thanks once again!

8. Latif Noonari says:
    February 22nd, 2008 3:32 am

Dear Owais,
    Tons of kudos for posting Sindhi poetry. The translated versions are almost close to the original. Here is one more (a literal one). It would be great if other languages of Pakistan, too, are given a thread.Thanks anyway! The translation:
    Tracing the footprints of time
    In the journey from familiar to unfamiliar
    This year, too,
    Scaled the distances alone
    Scaled the distances alone

9. Nouman Ahmed Siddiqui says:
    February 22nd, 2008 8:28 am

Its a moving poetry… Could any one direct me to more works of Shagufta Jabeen…

10. JQ says:
    February 22nd, 2008 9:10 am

Wow. The translations are BEAUTIFUL!

I’m sure the poem is just as good if not better. Can someone PLEASE post the rough pronunciation of the Sindhi?

I don’t want to miss out on the marvel of Sindhi poetry…

11. Muhammad Athar Siddiqui says:
    February 22nd, 2008 9:44 am

Interesting stuff! Nice to see Sindhi poetry. These are beautiful verses that many of us can relate to easily. All the translations are good (didn’t know bro Abrar was that good). I think taking what is closest in meaning to the original from the three translations may produce a more refined version, provided it rhymes and sounds nicely.

February 22nd, 2008 11:07 am

Lateef Noorani, thanks for sharing with us your beautiful translation.

13. February 22nd, 2008 3:22 pm

owais, rather than being amateurish, your attempt has sincerity & captures the essence very well; in fact i found the 3 translations to be superb having an individual stamp of the translator; let me demonstrate with an example; “indhlati rang-a” which is “rainbow colors” and used as such by Mr. Noonari, appears as “dazzling show of colors” in your translation & “infinite colors” by Abrar sb. all 3 translations alluding to the kaleodoscope of colors & illusions and at some level personalizing the translations in their own way

today was the urs of Shah Abdul Latif so let me share one verse & please forgive me for being inspired by it & attempting not a translation but just imagining momal in the company of her friends in the magical kak mahal, a place of legend where countless perished just to catch her glimpse

the lady in the verse, her beauty was the talk of kingdoms far and wide; this tale is sung with great love and is indeed simply called the

14. khair says:
    February 23rd, 2008 8:55 am

Bravo Owais! Once again your post showed your verstility and vision. Translating poetry is very delicate work. It is the soul rather than the word that should be captured while translating poetry. You have been pretty successful in capturing the soul. Keep it up.
    Just a little correction. ‘Pera khanan’ in Sindh means tracing the footstep not the running footstps. Mr. Noonari’s translation is quite accurate in this regard.
    I wish someone could bring forth poetry of Punjabi, Siraiki, Pushto and Balochi to share with readers.

15. JQ says:
    February 23rd, 2008 9:54 am

Can someone PLEASE post the rough pronunciation of the Sindhi?

16. Latif Noonari says:
    February 23rd, 2008 10:34 am

JQ, I

17. anna says:
    February 23rd, 2008 1:01 pm

LUVLY POEM …feelings are very deep & touching

18. JQ says:
    February 27th, 2008 10:18 pm

Latif Noonari, thank you so much for the help. All I can say is “maza dobaala hogaya hai”… ;)

19. Ehsan Syed says:
    March 19th, 2008 3:33 am

DETACHMENT
    Walking on the stamps of time

20. Ehsan Syed says:
    March 19th, 2008 3:49 am

kitna durd-o-alam insaan,
    sukh ka koi nahin imkaan,
    ctera sadiyon ka wishwas,
    mera iss mein bhi hay gumaan,
    qutra pani ka tha kal,
    aaj samundar hay insaan,
    shafaq subah ki hay ya sham,
    shyam ye undar ka hay dhyaan.
    SHAYAM NARAIN
    1922-1989

21. CH ASIM SHAFQUAT OJLA says:
    April 20th, 2008 7:55 am

A.A CH AITZAZ SAHAB WE JUST WANT ”GO MUSHARAF GO” AND IN THIS BATTLE WE R WITH U FROM OUR HEART AND SOUL.MAY ALLAH HELP U AND BLESS U BECAUSE U R SUCH A GREAT PERSON THAT WE CAN’T HAVE WORDS 4 U.OK THANKU AND ALLAHHFAIZ.

22. ayaz laghari says:
    May 24th, 2008 10:54 am

it is very touching poetry owais please subscribe with more poetries of shagufta jabeen says by ayaz ahmed laghari mirpurkhas

23. AamirRaz says:
    May 24th, 2008 2:41 pm

I would translate it like this:

DISTANCE

Tracing the footprints of time
    like always
    the parting sun of December,
    shading multitude of colors,
    has faded to be an illusion
    but

24. AamirRaz says:
    May 24th, 2008 2:45 pm

‘in its journey to seek to know’

this line should be read as
    “in their journey to seek to know”

–Peace

25. ayaz laghari says:
    May 25th, 2008 1:15 am

i have an other sindhi poetry of the shagufta jabeen if any wanted then write on the comments the titel of the poetry is “MAAN HUJAN NA HUJAN”