Mr. Zardari Loses His Cool: The “Shut Up” Video

Posted on January 31, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Politics

This video of Mr. Asif Ali Zardari losing his cool during a speech and angrily shouting “Shut Up” to someone in the audience has been making the rounds.

If authentic, and it seems to be, the video is striking, but also sad, to see. There is not much that one can say by way of comment. Such behavior is embarrassing for any politician, but especially for the President of a country.

In fairness, I should add that I have not (yet) been able to find any information on the context of this: where was this, what did the person in the audience say (it was probably a pretty demeaning thing in itself), and – most importantly – what did Mr. Zardari say immediately after this.

I think the last of the above is especially important. It does disturb me that in all the versions of the video I found on the net the video ends abruptly after he utters the killer words: “Shut Up.”

I certainly hope that his immediate reaction was to stop, realize his mistake, and apologize. If he has not yet, he should.

43 Comments on “Mr. Zardari Loses His Cool: The “Shut Up” Video”

1. ASAD says:
    January 31st, 2010 12:42 pm

What a sad and pathetic display by our President.

2. HarOON says:
    January 31st, 2010 1:07 pm

Does anyone have a longer video that shows what he says after this and where the speech was?

3. Umar Shah says:
    January 31st, 2010 1:09 pm

Adil sahab, I like your optimism. You expect the chief beneficiary of NRO to say sorry for asking someone to shut up :)

4. Humaira says:
    January 31st, 2010 1:24 pm

I cannot say I am surprised. What else do we expect from him.

But part of me hopes this is a fake. Whatever damage this does to him it does more damage to Pakistan and its image.

Pathetic performance is all I can say.

5. AllahWasaya says:
    January 31st, 2010 1:29 pm

pretty pathetic show, I’d still rank it behind Aamir Liaquat Hussain’s video I saw a few posts ago!

6. January 31st, 2010 1:44 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “yes he shuld apologize”
    - “Do we know if the tape is authentic?”
    - “I am also wondering why the video does not show what he says next?”
    - “what will he say all he tells its a lie…”
    - “incomplete info is dangerous than poison.”
    - “ya ur right but complete infomation about zardari mor dangerus…….”
    - “misinformation is also injurious to health.”

7. Adam Insaan says:
    January 31st, 2010 1:45 pm

Mr. Zardari is for me not a person I as such hate or admire.

-But I am obliged to give this a fair treatment,
    - I am not in a position or state to comment on something that is not validated or verified ,
    but in spe…. having acquired relevant information this will certainly be a opportunity I will use.

8. ZAFAR says:
    January 31st, 2010 2:07 pm

I agree, bad as he is, his jahalat is no match for our jahil aalim’s

9. Nihari says:
    January 31st, 2010 3:31 pm

Although I am not at all in favor of AAZ, but writing a whole blog and drawing conclusions from a partial video without knowing the background is itself jahalat.

10. Sadiq says:
    January 31st, 2010 4:04 pm

At one level it does not matter what the context was, if the video is real then this behavior is just plain wrong, no matter how provocative the comment from the crowd might be.

But overall, I share the feeling of the author that I would like to know more about the context and specially what was said immediately after this.

I have seen this on other sites and most are using this as propaganda only. One site even had a post that he was saying shut up to democracy, another had the video doctored and played again and again so that it seemed he kept saying this over and over again. That sort of behavior is itself wrong and only gives sympathy to AAZ. Personally, I think he needs none.

By the way, looking at this reminded me, has anyone heard of or from Hussain Haqqani recently! WHen friends like him desert you it is usually a sign of worse to come!

11. Aziz says:
    January 31st, 2010 4:33 pm

I cannot help but laugh. Not because I think its funny. I laugh because he is leading the nation. I don’t care what the person from the crowd said, a leader should show restraint and know what to say and when.

During Obama’s speech to the Congress, Joe Wilson yelled “You lie!”. I agree that this was a disgrace, however, Obama’s response was calm. He completely ignored the heckler.

That is how an educated leader handles a tense situation. Our leader is an uneducated goon who, some 25 years ago, used to sit at Karachi Club swimming Pool with his shirt unbuttoned showing his chest hair to the girls with an alcoholic drink in his hand. Grrrr!!! who voted him in?

12. Raheel says:
    January 31st, 2010 4:33 pm

Nothing surprising about what I see here. Nothing.

13. SS says:
    January 31st, 2010 5:13 pm

You have a typo: “looses” should be loses

14. PPP Jiyala says:
    January 31st, 2010 5:53 pm

Love the expressions on the people standing behind him. Seems like they don’t care and are not even listening to what he is saying!

15. sidhas2000 says:
    January 31st, 2010 10:33 pm

why are we so fixated with Zardari? we spent so much time on non-essential, no-value topics that it is disturbing. Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that that criticizing the leaders is not important, it is. What I see is that people are just fixated with personalities instead of issues and more importantly how to resolve them.

1. We need to reform Bureaucracy.
    2. We need to strengthen democracy ( electoral laws & need to introduce political parties act )
    3. We need to de-centralize and devolve power from center to provinces to metropolitan areas.
    4. We need to have education reforms.
    5. We need solid economic policy
    6. We need a Energy Policy
    7. We need to manage our depleting water resources.

There are many areas that require our attention.

On personal level, I am awe struck how Zardari came to power from no where but I am not willing to put my energies on Zardari.

16. M. Rizwan says:
    January 31st, 2010 11:22 pm

I think this video has also been on-aired on any news channel a long back. Mr. Zardari just said shut up and continued lecturing the audience on boons of Democracy…………….

One of the sermons of Hazrat Ali (AS) goes like that “don’t form an opinion about any person unless you see him in anger”…. if we judge Mr, Zardari on this criteria, he merely falls flat

17. Sarfraz says:
    January 31st, 2010 11:45 pm

New or old, it is a sad sad show. No matter what the circumstances, no politician should lose their kool like this.

18. Adeeba says:
    February 1st, 2010 12:54 am

Anybody else think of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto?

19. Eidee Man says:
    February 1st, 2010 1:48 am

As entertaining as these blurbs are, I must say that this has been a particularly bad week for ATP. I don’t like the current president myself, but I’d rather see him being criticized with substance; we all know there is ample material for that.

Same holds true for the “jahil online” post; I have never watched his program but I do know that he regularly spews nonsense which is much more dangerous than cricket players wearing green shoes.

Lastly, I’ve pointed this out several times over the past few years, but I cannot recall a single, solitary instance where this blog even politely criticized the MQM and its leadership. If Adil likes this video, then he should definitely check out Altaf’s greatest hits on YouTube.

20. hus sain says:
    February 1st, 2010 1:49 am

couldnt he could have taken off his shoe
    and banged it on the rostrum
    like khruschev in the UN
    or thrown it at the offender
    like Muntazer Ali Zaidi
    instead of merely saying
    shut up?

21. Musaddiq Virk says:
    February 1st, 2010 2:09 am

As Mr. Adil pointed out that he is not sure about authenticity of this video than he shouldn’t have posted it here. Especially when it involves the president. It shows how seriously he takes this blog.

22. Someone from US says:
    February 1st, 2010 2:29 am

come on guys, enough of zardari bashing. Let’s give Mr. 10% some slack. He has proven himself to be quite a duffer when it comes to writing English; but at least he knows a word of two when it comes to speaking.

23. imran says:
    February 1st, 2010 4:46 am

I always hated this guy, i don’t know what the person in crowd said to him but i bet that, that person was telling the truth which president zardari was unable to absorb.

24. PAKISTANI says:
    February 1st, 2010 8:46 am

I was out this weekend so returned today to ATP after 4 days. I looked at the front page and found 4 new posts, and an interesting observation comes to mind.

The 4 new posts are all about people. 3 of them are about people who have gained great fame and fortune because of Pakistan and Pakistanis – an entertainer, a politician, and a sportsman. The fourth post is about a teacher, someone who we should have respected but as a nation did not.

The first three have brought shame to the country that gave them so much. The fourth is about someone whose life makes you proud to be a Pakistani and yet we have him no respect!

I think this says something about US as Pakistanis. The fault, dear friends, is not their’s. It is ours.

25. gallian75 says:
    February 1st, 2010 11:36 am

This was no momentary loss of temper. It exposes the cold, callous and dark side of his personality which he tries so hard to conceal with a satanic smile. Allah knows best.

26. Arisha says:
    February 1st, 2010 12:09 pm

I endorse the view of everyone above who believes that there is a problem when all we do is talk about indviduals, not issues! Where is the discussion about education? About security? Can we afford such a huge military? About our economy? Are the Taliban winning or losing?

Instead of disucssing these vital issues we are discussing some alleged video of Zardari has been posted which even the person who posted isn’t sure is authentic!

What also disturbs me is that people use blogs to bash people they hate. Sadiq drags in Husain Haqqani into this debate. What does Pakistan’s Ambassador to US have to do with this video? Anyhow, by the looks of it Amb Haqqani is alive and doing well!

27. Zafar says:
    February 2nd, 2010 12:39 am

Does anyone now where this was, and when?

28. Hira Mir says:
    February 2nd, 2010 6:58 am

who did he say this to?? I think he said it to a group people who wasn’t listening to him. However, once again I think too much focus is on the individuals rather than on issues that Pakistan is facing. Would be more protective if we could talk about how to promote moderate elements in our country rather than on such minor issues.

29. Sajjad says:
    February 2nd, 2010 10:35 am

“BTW, I wonder if that the person who said something to Zardari is still alive ;)”
    @Aziz
    I am sure he is alive, thats the difference beween bad and worst. PPP thugs beat nearly to death and MQM Thugs just kill in one go, a quick one. :).

Problem is, we should have fully supported musharraf, he was not that bad. it was just that stupit CJ case that spoiled everything and now what, Courts are still the same.

30. Shakeel says:
    February 2nd, 2010 2:57 pm

@ Pakistani – very well said.

31. shakeel says:
    February 2nd, 2010 3:06 pm

@ Nihari

Knowing the full background will not change the fact that a President should not behave like this. Trying to defend this behavior just because we do not what brought up this reaction is jahilat.

BTW, I dont understand why this idiot of President is hell bent in using English? I mean, he cant connect three words from the English language .. (I am reminded of the UN Speech) That was embarassing and so is this.

32. Zecchetti says:
    February 2nd, 2010 5:08 pm

@ Sajjad,

I think Musharraf is just as bad as PPP or MQM if not worse. Are you ignoring the cases of several thousand people that have gone missing during his tenure, particularly from the armed forces. Some were sold to America for a fistful of dollars e.g. Dr Aafia Siddiqui.

33. Nadeem Ahsan says:
    February 2nd, 2010 8:08 pm

Can we see the rest of the video? Someone in the crowd was irritating him and so he had to react. Such outbursts are nothing new to world leaders.

34. Sajjad says:
    February 3rd, 2010 4:20 am

@Zecchetti.
    Well , thats going to be a seperate debate. I might comeup with too much stats. I understand that missing people case is severe. But there were good things too. With the current era, we dont have any improvement. Things are getting worst everyday. Musharaf’s time was bad for lower and lower middle class but atleast middle class was enjoying a cash flow. there were opportunities that helped people survive. Now please dont think about recession, I still could not figure out how recession applies to Pakistan. We can talk about it sometime when ATP starts a comparison poll.

35. February 3rd, 2010 5:51 am

This dude is crazy. But more like I would have to give him credit. He has been a target of selective justice. Anyways I would be more interested right now in the current extremism issue rather than just as individual telling another to SHUTUP!!

36. saqib says:
    February 4th, 2010 2:34 pm

more links for video?

37. BD says:
    February 6th, 2010 6:18 pm

He seemed to pick only one poor soul in all that commotion. Not that it made any difference :P
    I guess the likes of Mr. Zardari have/will realize that “jab awaam bolne lagegi tab shut up karna mumkin nahin” :D

38. zahid says:
    February 11th, 2010 10:28 am

i think adil is being sly with the people on this blog. Adil, I think you are just conducting your human behaviour experiment by posting this item.
    Clearly there is not enough information to form a conclusive opinion about the context of the utterance of the words “shut up”. People who have comments, are extrapolating using the model of Zardari that they have in their minds. I too have not heard the full speech and do not know the actual context of this snippet.
    But if i were to give the due benefit of doubt then there is a possiblity that the “shut up” was part of the speech itself, probably refering to on of the shut-up calls that democracy has received from the power brokers in pakistan.

my 2 cents

39. Liaqat says:
    May 19th, 2010 8:02 pm

Any idea about what this turned out to be about?

40. Omer says:
    May 22nd, 2010 6:10 am

Truly Amna you should give him a credit because he has cruelly looted the whole country. Congrats to those who voted for PPP and PML N. Congrats to the enlightened nation and congrats to the enlightened media. Congrats to all. Welcome to hell.

41. Saeed says:
    October 8th, 2010 6:45 am

Pakistani nation deserve the treatment that they are having from the world nations, for that they have voted for parties like PPP, PML(N) and MQM. All corrupt and ………………We need bloody revolution to clean the society and the leaders.

SAEED

42. HRH Prince Dhanyeil X says:
    July 3rd, 2011 3:24 pm

Well I come from a royal,political,business and landowning background just like Zardari. Zardari Is just Like Mohammad Ali Jinaah. But Wait, Hes oppisite in the way he doesnt help the country the people just wastes TOO Much money. Where as jinnah was classy rich but hardworking intelligent and could relate to the people by helping Pak

43. TIPUSULTAN says:
    July 4th, 2011 11:44 am

ALLAH HAS PROVIDED ALL THE BOONS TO PAKISTAN,
    GOOD CLIMATIC CONDITIONS, BEST SEASONS FOR CROPS, TASETY FRUITS, GREAT SEA AND RIVERS,
    IT IS 60 YEARS BEEN PAST, PAKISTAN ECONOMIC CONDTIONS ARE EVEN WORST IN THE WORLD, EVERY GOVT SEEKS IMF/WORLD BANK, AMERICAN AIDS TO RUN THE GOVT, SELF RELIANCE KEPT IN THE DARK BOX,
    PEOPLES ARE BECOME WEAK BY WEAK, NO POLITICIANS HAVE A MERCY FOR THESE POOR MASS, POLITCIANS ONLY NEED BANK LOANS AND THEN GET IT OFF THROUGH MANY CHANNELS, WHO WILL CHANGE THE CONDITION OF POOR MASS,
    ALLAH, FORGIVE US, SEND US A HONEST,GOD FEARING LEADER, WHO SHOULD LEAD THIS COUNTRY THROUGH:
    1. HONESTY.
    2. JUSTICE.
    3. MERIT FOR ALLS IN ALL MATTERS, ADDMISSION,
    JOBS
    4. SPEEDY JUSTICE IN ALL LEVELS OF COURTS.
    5. TAKE STRONG ACTION AGAINST ALL THOSE CULPRITS,
    WHO HAVE TAKEN THE BANK LOANS, TAKEN RELIEF.

PAKISTAN NEEDS A PERSON LIKE HAZRAT UMER,
    IMAM KHOMENI, MODERN LEADERS OF CHINA

ALLAH SAVE OUR PAKISTAN. (AMEEN)

TIPUSULTAN,