Ava Gardner in Lahore for ‘Bhowani Junction’

Posted on June 22, 2010
Filed Under >Owais Mughal, Books, People, TV, Movies & Theatre

Owais Mughal

Eva GardnerThis photo was taken on April 22, 1955 and it shows American actress Ava Gardner at Lahore Railway Station. She was in Lahore for the filming of Hollywood Movie Bhowani Junction. When Ava came to Lahore, there was only one reasonable hotel in Lahore. It is still there – Falletis. The suite in which Ava stayed has been named after her – “The Ava Gardner suite”. In it’s lounge one could see a beautiful large size, black & white portrait of Ava Gardner smiling.

Bhowani Junctionis the name of a novel by John Masters which came out in 1952. Bhowani Junction In mid 50s Hollywood decided to make a movie out of it. The movie is set amidst the turbulence of the British withdrawal from India. It is notable for its portrayal of the Eurasian (Anglo-Indian) community, who were closely involved with the Indian railway system. The film was directed by George Cukor, and was shot on location in Lahore, Pakistan. It starred Ava Gardner as Victoria Jones, an Anglo-Indian nurse in the British Army, and Stewart Granger as Colonel Rodney Savage, a British army officer.

I found following review of movie plot at The Internet Movie Database

The town of Bhowani is a railroad junction and both the Congress Party and the Communist Party are doing all kinds of sabotage to help the British quickly get out of India. Of course each is doing it for their own reasons. In the movie, two people who may have given the outstanding performances of their careers are Ava Gardner and Bill Travers. Both play bi-racial people who don’t fit in either society. But they react differently. Gardner is going through a whole lot of angst, really seeing both the British and Indian point of view.

Bill Travers is the railroad station manager and his whole life is his job. He focuses narrowly on that and his tunnel vision leaves him oblivious to the momentous changes around him. Except for the fact that when the British leave he might lose that little piece of authority where he is, that which gives him stature in the Raj society.

Bhowani Junction Photo to the left is the book cover image of the novel ‘Bhowani Junction’.

In the movie, the issues are complex, but in the hands of a great director like George Cukor the characters and their struggles become real and even more important, the audience becomes interested. Stewart Granger who was the British Colonel in charge of the whole mess in Bhowani, said that Bhowani Junction was one of the few films he was really proud to be associated with. He has a struggle to, he really does see the Indians as human beings and not just “wogs.” He’s quite knowledgeable about their customs and at one point utilizes that knowledge to unjam that railroad terminal.

Following two images are the movie posters of Bhowani Junction. In the first poster below one can see the wordings ‘Filmed in Pakistan’ right under the title in yellow which says Bhowani Junction.

We are especially proud to feature the photo to the left from Bhowani Junction filming days. It comes from the personal collection of Zohra Arshad Mahmood, who is seen standing in this photo. Photo credits go to her son and my friend Imran Mahmood, who generously agreed to share this photo with us.

Pakistan’s famous writer Mustansar Hussain Tarar‘s has mentioned atleast at two places and dedicated a whole chapter in his book ‘raakh’ on the making of Bhowani Junction. While I could not tell if all of account is real or fictional, there is certainly some degree of truth to it.

Photo Credits:

(1) Bettmann/Corbis.com
(2) Ravindra Bhalerao
(3) The Daily Telegraph

78 Comments on “Ava Gardner in Lahore for ‘Bhowani Junction’”

1. Zia says:
    March 2nd, 2008 9:58 pm

It was really a nice movie that I saw few years ago.
    Our country was so different in those days…peaceful, calm and rich cultural activities everywhere.

Good one Owais. Thanks.

2. MB says:
    March 2nd, 2008 11:22 pm

Yeah!! and due to the EVIL ZIA and his fanaticism we are in this shit now.

Where one can find this movie ?

3. Abeer says:
    March 3rd, 2008 1:58 am

diffrent pakistan same awam, most of the guys are looking at ava rather then the camera :P

4. D_a_n says:
    March 3rd, 2008 4:39 am

@ abeer…

We’ll you cant blame the poor chaps can you…Gosh just look at her :)

great photo and I have often thought about how it would have been like to live in a mush more peaceful and less complicated Pakistan…

Also, about Bhowani Junction…my grandparents told me that Miss Gardner and Stuart Granger used to drop by the punjab club often during their stay…and mix with the other members of the club…

Miss gardner was considered quite engaging (which I found surprising) but Stuart Granger was considered a high level snob and not approachable…

PS….was a good movie too :)

5. shafqat says:
    March 3rd, 2008 4:42 am

hello…
    i could not find ZOHRA ARSHAD at imdb… see the full cast of movie…

Please let me know if anyone knows that…

6. Darwaish says:
    March 3rd, 2008 8:13 am

Owaish: Fascinating story. I am definitely going to watch this movie. Should be cool to see how lahore railway station looked like in 1956.

I disagree with Abeer. Look at the photograph again and you will find out that most of the guys are actually looking at the camera ;). I love this photograph.. everyone looks so friendly and nice but it gives an Indian kinda look rather than Pakistani (look at people and way they have dressed up).

7. shirazi says:
    March 3rd, 2008 8:38 am

Nice connection as alway. Liked it :-)

8. MQ says:
    March 3rd, 2008 8:52 am

Darwaish,

The reason there is an Indian look about this picture is that the railway station is supposed to be Bhowani (somewhere in Eastern India?).

9. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    March 3rd, 2008 9:12 am

Although the movie was filmed in Lahore on location, its story was set in colonial India and hence the costumes of the masses in the movie being traditional Indian of that period. Pakistan used be a business and leisure destination for the Westerners but that was before our jihadi brothers and their sympathisers took over the scene. The movie was a positive publicity and a little boost for our struggling state in the fifties. Many of our film technicians and stage hands got chance to experience modern film making of that era first hand without going overseas. Same group later on became directors and cameramen of our budding film industry. Hundreds of our people worked as extras and some in minor roles, most notable being later film stars Saqi and Nilo. The Lahore Railway Station was chosen for its unique architecture otherwise the city had nothing else to do with the film. Owais Sahab thank you for digging up one more gem of our Pakistaniat. Bravo.

10. Tina says:
    March 3rd, 2008 9:30 am

I’ve seen this movie; I had no clue it was filmed in Pakistan….wow, just wow. I especially remember the very realistic and terrifying train wreck scene. After the terrorist attack, the military officer collars Ava Gardner’s character and angrily tells her to get to work helping the survivors. She whines, “But I didn’t do anything”. He points to the helpless being carried out of the train and says, “They didn’t do anything either”.

Great movie, parts of it still relevant to the present day.

There’s another, very funny, very interesting book about the Anglo-Indian community called “Mulligatawny Soup”, the main character being a girl confused about her identity much like Victoria. It’s a true story, too. I forget the author’s name, though.

Thanks Owais for this post!

11. Adnan Ahmad says:
    March 3rd, 2008 10:27 am

Time sort of comes to a standstill when one gets into these pictures and thinks about those times. There is detailed mention in one of Tarar’s novels about the shooting of this movie in Lahore. I forget the name of the book. I agree, this is a gem of a post. It has so many shades of Pakistaniat when one starts thinking about them.

12. Aamer says:
    March 3rd, 2008 11:04 am

Are you sure that Falletis is still standing? I am trying to look for more info about it but cannot find it. Although there are some talks about taking it down (in 2005).

March 3rd, 2008 11:10 am

Aamer. no i am not sure. It would be great if some reader could confirm that. Last time I was in Lahore was in 2005 but then I was not looking for Falletis either. My information for ‘Ava Gardner’ suite in Falletis comes from a personal source who narrated it to me couple of years ago so while it was true many years ago, it may be great to confirm if the hotel is still there. I will contact my friend too who first told me about it.

14. Deeda-i-Beena says:
    March 3rd, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks Owais for a great Post.
    Thanks for bringing back the memories.
    I was in Lahore when it was filmed and many of my college friends got hired as extras. One was Iftikhar Bhatti the Captain of our Rowing Club, who laid across the Tracks.

Yes the Duo stayed at the only high class Hotel in Lahore then – The Fallettis. We used to play Badminton at night in flood lights at 23 Cooper Road, at the back of the Hotel. One evening we saw a european couple at the gate watching us play so we invited them in. They were Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger and they had a good game with us. We invited them to come again the next evening and they said: Oh No. You will have 500 people here tomorrow.

15. Imran H Khan says:
    March 3rd, 2008 3:36 pm

An older image of Lahore Railway Station in 1886

16. MQ says:
    March 4th, 2008 12:05 am

Imran H. Khan:

Great pictures. Great architecture. Look what have we done to them in the last 60 years! Thanks for sharing them.

17. D_a_n says:
    March 4th, 2008 2:53 am

@Deeda-i-Beena..

such a great little story :)
    badminton with ava garndener in Lahore….

18. ALAMZEB says:
    March 4th, 2008 7:12 am

It is very interesting film which was shooted here in our beautiful lahore.It must be shown on PTV and private channels
    to be known to new generation.

19. Hasssan says:
    March 4th, 2008 11:31 am

What happened to this Lahori hotel where Ava stayed?

Is it still standing and open ?

20. Debu Bhatnagar says:
    March 6th, 2008 5:24 am

I’ve been a fan of John Masters for years but I just learnt from this post that the movie, Bhowani Junction, was shot in Lahore. The place, Bhowani Junction, is fictional, but from the description of the trains and the locale it’s obviously located somewhere in Central India – a place where the Delhi-Madras and the Calcutta-Bombay train routes intersect. In reality this would be a small junction in Madhya Pradesh called Itarsi. It’s a big railway junction, though, complete with a Railway Institute – which is a sort of club for the Eurasian railway employees with regular dances and what have you.

It’s interesting to see how the Eurasian (or Anglo Indian) community have fared. In my school days in the 60′s there were still large numbers – studying in the Christian Schools and working in the railways and other goverment institutions. Now most have gone – migrated to Australia, Canada or the UK. Has that been the case in Pakistan as well?

21. Babar says:
    March 7th, 2008 8:10 am

Fascinating story Owais. Very well laid out. I have to watch this movie!

22. March 7th, 2008 10:16 am

I saw this movie as an youngster and the ravishing Ava gardner is still in memory. I remember that India refused permission to shoot this movie in India( not hurting sentiment of anglo/indians) and lahore was chosen. the pleasure of a cigarette smoking after a hard days work is well shown in the father of avagardner who is an engine driver.

23. Moeen says:
    March 8th, 2008 1:08 pm

Owais:
    Thanks for the post!
    My father was in GC, Lahore at that time in the dramatic club. He and many of his friends took part in the movie, the scene was they had to stop a train. My father tells me that he could be seen in this movie; I have searched for this movie but never found it. Its a differant story that when my grandfather came to know that my father had a role in the movie, my father was taken out of GC and sent to the Army.
    Thanks for posting the amazon link, I’m gonna order one and send it to my father.

24. Moeen says:
    March 8th, 2008 1:29 pm

Deeda-i-Beena :
    Its a small world. Iftikhar Bhatti is my father, can you pls tell me your name? I just told Abo about your post!!

March 8th, 2008 2:32 pm

It is great to see so many people here can relate to this movie.

26. March 15th, 2008 9:22 am

Ava Gardner was my first love.When i was going to school in Lahore and i was staying at Ewing Hall i attended couple of shows in flatties just to see where Ava Gardner used to sit. I had fond memories of Bhawani Junction. Film star Saqi has a bit role in that movie.Thanks Owais and Seeme.

27. ali m m khan says:
    March 29th, 2008 2:35 pm

The film was also shot in the “traki hills” (misspelled) These are the hills with the red hue, one can see driving from lhr-isb on the gt rd.
    Also, Ava had a fling with an army major while filming and after that the army command banned all participation of army personal with any film verntures….

28. ali m m khan says:
    March 29th, 2008 2:40 pm

the movie itself is quite okay….nothing that spectacular….

29. Sair says:
    April 4th, 2008 3:49 am

As far as my information the Hotel Flattes is no more there
    I am not sure
    But surely that time the only Hotel was in Lahore

30. richard stewart says:
    April 20th, 2008 12:59 pm

Faletti’s Hotel is still in Lahore. However it closed in April 2008 for substantial refurbishment.

The station at which Bhowani was filmed is now a railway museum.

31. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    April 20th, 2008 7:04 pm

@ Owais Mughal,

ham nay aik nayhayat khubsurat shair in Hasinah
    ki nazr kia tha, wo ghaib hogaya hay, agar apko mil
    ja’aiy to bra,aiy meharbani usay dobarah post kardein,
    nawasish hogi,

Ava Gardner kay qadawar wajood pay yeh haseen
    chehra, wo ankhain , rasilay hont, aik panch sal kay
    bachay ko bha gai thi, aur wo hamein bohot achhi
    lagti thein, wo agar mujhay apni gaud mein latien
    to meray to waray niaray hojatay, unki perfume nay mujhko
    madhosh kia rakha tha, jab bolti to muh say moti
    jkhlaktay thay, chalti thi to zamin uth uth kar qadambosi
    karti thi, Hamari Umr us waqt 5 saal ki thi, laikin dil
    humara un mein ja atkaa tha, unki muskurahat, ankho kays
    do pattioin kay dayeron say adh-kholi ankhon say meri
    traf dekha to mujhay bhagna para, lekin wo mujh ko
    ghaseet lay aein and zordar bosah day dala, kiya perfume
    thi wo kabhi bhi bhula ne saka, namaloom Khudah nay
    kesay usko banaya tha is paripaiker ko husn ki devi ko
    Mushorahat haseen, ankhein nashili, hont marmarin
    Kulayh par aik hath rakhay howay, muskan labbon par,
    ji chata tha ke bosah lay lein, magar zalim dunya nay
    honay ne dia ! wah ray zamanay

Husn ko chand bhi sharmatah hay
    teri surat nay ghazab dhaya hay
    RK

32. Dr Muhammad Farrukh Nawaz says:
    April 25th, 2008 4:14 pm

I can’t imagine to recall that years ago i was at Lahore railway station and my father told me at that time of filming of this movie.My father i think, was in studying in college.What a world and time is passing away.

33. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    April 25th, 2008 9:13 pm

@Owais Mughal,

for info, the ” Iqtibas ” from Mirza latif Baig’s
    novel (1962 ?) ” Railway line ka haseen hadisah ”
    was a great source of inspiration from “erotism ”
    a l’epoch.

34. Tahira Rana says:
    August 26th, 2008 2:06 am

This is a great post, however it is sad to note that the man who actually was the Production Manager of this film in Pakistan at the time is no where to be mentioned. He was a pioneer of his time. My father, AH Rana was the Production Manager and co ordinated all the Lahore station scenes. It was by chance that I stumbled upon your site, as I was looking for pictures of George Cukor in Lahore, possibly with my father but I am glad that I found you and can contribute my post on your site. Many Thanks

35. DR.DANIYAL NAGI says:
    September 8th, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi,
    This is a great post.I saw this movie in 1980 with my father and still have in my collection in Lahore.As per my father who was a student of GC at that time,it was a great event in Lahore and people used to stand outside Flattis Hotel to have a glimpse of these famous actors.Those were the good old days of lahore,which live in our memory only.I remember in our school St.Anthonys there were quite a few anglo-indian staff members.But that lahore and generation is lost,now what we see is that there is an onslaught on lahore from people of villages and small cities who are totally ignorant of the cultural background and traditions of this great city.
    and are bent upon transforming our great city into a big sized slum full of uneducated people who are wild and intolerant to everybody else.
    I hope that the remaining lahoreites retain their traditional values and pass them on to their future generations.
    Dr.Daniyal Nagi
    Ireland

36. Dr.Daniyal Nagi says:
    September 9th, 2008 6:53 pm

For all Lahorites,
    Flattis was closed few years ago and the hotel with 91 Kanals of land was sold to some ‘Blue Eyed Boy’ of the previous regimen with a view of demolishing it and making a PLAZA.There was a lot in press against this move.The building is still there is shambles waiting to collape on its own so the PLAZA can come up.
    Dr.Daniyal Nagi.

37. auk says:
    September 10th, 2008 1:47 am

Dr. Daniyal Nagi, I haven’t seen such obnoxious comments in a while, though I have seem many. Perhaps your anglo-indian teachers at St. Anthony’s forgot to teach you to respect other humans no matter what class or creed they came from. If you look hard those poor that you want to look down upon can teach you a thing or two about life. Perhaps you also haven’t noticed the slums in all the great western cities that you seem to so espouse. I haven’t heard anyone say that these slum dwellers are destroying the culture of their great cities.
    Dr. auk

38. Dr.Daniyal Nagi says:
    September 11th, 2008 6:07 pm

Mr.AUK,
    Please disclose your identiy first if you want to start a discussion.You misunderstood me as I never said anything about any poor Pakistani,I said uncivilized and uneducated people who had onslaughted Lahore and are destroying the spirit of this city.
    I am sure you are not from Lahore anyway.Emotional people like you has already destroyed this country.
    I hope you understand.
    Daniyal Nagi

39. Jalal HB says:
    September 21st, 2008 11:00 am

Nice recolletion – though the incident occured before my birth, but one of my uncles told me that the film was also filmed in Lahore’s Qila Gujjar Singh bazar – a pleace near which we one lived.

40. October 24th, 2008 6:13 am

In 1955 I was in the sixth class when Bhowani Junction was being shot at Lahore. As school children we were taken to the Lahore Railway Station where I saw Bill Travers in a solar hat standing at one of the higher walls with a lot of local extras.Lahore Railway station was giving a look of India with Indian flags and the extras dressed as the hindus. Bungalow No.23 at Cooper Road next to the Faletti’s hotel was our first home in Pakistan when we migrated from Jullunder, India during the roits of the Partition in early September 1947 where Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger had gone for a game of badminton in the floodlights. Later my father’s friend Session Judge of Lahore late Mr. Riaz Qureshi was photographed in a white dinner jacket and a bow tie at a dinner in honour of Ava Gardner where she looked dazzaling in a Sari. This photograph adorned the wall of the Ava Gardner Suite at the Faletti’s hotel during the shooting of Bhowani Junction. Ava Gardner went bare footed to the Regal Cinema on the Mall to see her movie “The Barefoot Contessa” with Minoo Bhandara and others. When Ava Gardner settled at London in Ennismore Garden in Kensington area I once spotted her walking her dog about six years before she died. Pakistan’s founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah also stayed at the Falett’s hotel during the trial of Ghazi Ilmuddin Shaheed. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru,Chief Justice of Pakistan A. R. Cornelius,Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Actor Marlon Brando, Actor I.S. Johar and cricketer Sir Garfield Sobers too had stayed at this historic hotel. The rooms where these extra ordinary personalities had stayed should be preserved and made a part of the new design of the Hotel. Historic Falettis hotel must be declared a heritage site and preserved for posterity.

41. Ravindra says:
    January 13th, 2009 8:25 am

A truly delightful post.

For those who wish to relive the steam age of old, I would recommend seeing the movie, and also reading John Masters’ novel. It’s a masterly work running into more than 400 pages, a story you can’t put down. Patrick Taylor, Colonel Rodney Savage, Victoria Jones, Ranjit Kasel, Thomas Jones, Govindswami … all great characters, played in the movie by top actors of the time.

Thanks very much.

January 29th, 2009 1:07 am

Bhowani Junction’s Movie trailer added towards the end of the post showing several scenes of Lahore Station

January 29th, 2009 1:20 am

A priceless set of photos of Bhowani junction, including a portrait of Pakistani actress Zohra Arshad who also worked in the movie can be seen at corbis.com. You’ll have to type ‘bhowani junction’ in search box

February 2nd, 2009 11:23 pm

Three images including the last two movie posters added to the post today.

April 5th, 2009 12:25 am

Excerpt from Mustansar Hussain Tarar’s book ‘raakh’ where he talks about the making of Bhowani junction is added to the post as Urdu text.

46. maajid says:
    April 19th, 2009 10:54 am

that is great….

47. MB says:
    June 5th, 2009 4:31 pm

well done!

June 6th, 2009 12:28 am

I have started on the translation work of Mustansar Hussain Tarar’s chapter on Bhowani junction. Written towards the bottom of the post. This is an on-going work. I’ll try to finish it in few days.

49. Rafay Alam says:
    June 7th, 2009 11:06 pm

Wonderful post. Thank you.

50. Raj says:
    June 8th, 2009 10:16 pm

Thank you, Owais, for this wonderful post.

Would it be possible for someone to post a photo of The Fallettis? Also, perhaps a photo of the lounge with the “beautiful large size, black & white portrait of Ava Gardner smiling.”?

And thank you, Tahira Rana, Najum Latif, Debu Bhatnagar, and Deeda-i-Beena, for your informative comments.

I remember watching this movie in Karachi on our 12″ B/W TV in the 70′s, when PTV used to broadcast all the great classic movies every Wed. and Sat.

Thanks to all.

Raj

51. Imran Mahmood says:
    June 14th, 2009 10:39 pm

Owais,

Thanks for keeping history alive! This is Zohra Arshad Mahmood’s son. Your article and the Corbis link brought back fond memories for her. The picture was one she wasn’t aware of, although she has some more from the era (I would be willing to send them to you to link with the topic).

A note from her to you and the forum:
    “Great to be remembered. I am Zohra Arshad living happily with Imran and Shehryar, my sons. Bhowani Junction days were glorious and Lahore was at it’s best. America is another story” – Zohra Arshad.

Regards, Imran

June 14th, 2009 11:39 pm

Imran, we are honored to hear from you and your mother. thanks.

July 16th, 2009 7:33 pm

The last sepia photo added to the post today. Credits go to Imran Mahmood who shared this photo with us and helped us in adding one more piece in documenting Bhowani junction’s history here.

54. August 19th, 2009 7:27 am

It is a wonderful picture and i am sure this is the only hollywood picture which has a part of it sot at Lahore. I am pretty sure those were the golden days of the post partition lahore. Now most of the cinema industry in Pakistan is in shambles and one can only prey for it.

55. suresh says:
    August 25th, 2009 1:17 am

Part of Bhowani Junction was filmed in London England. In particular, the scene in the trailor, where the train is on fire and the fire is being extinguished using fire hoses.
    I, my aunt and many of my friends were hired as extras, by a casting agency on Tottonham Court Road in London. infact there were hundreds of extras, in that scene. Each scene had to be shot many times, therefore the fires had to be put out many times. The extras were very wet and cold. Our turbans, shirts and pajamas all wet. I had an under vest under my shirt and George Cukar the director saw my undervest through his binaculars, and shouted through the bull horn ” aye you take that vest off”. I was in my early twenties and a student in London. It was all well worth it. Got to see all those famous movie stars, very close and got paid, every day for several days.

56. October 15th, 2009 2:34 am

I was an extra, in the part of the move that was filmed in London in the early 50′s. with Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger.
    I heard that a full episode was shown on Comcast cable, recently. I would have liked to watch this movie. I have AT &T cable. Does any one know,if this movie be shown again on AT&T cable. Or could a CD be purchased? And Where?

October 19th, 2009 11:20 am

Translation of 3 more paragraphs added to the post.

58. Mie Tabassum mairaj says:
    November 20th, 2009 11:02 am

It was a real pleasure to read Tarar’s description of Bhowani Junction. Thanks, and request more such things from other authers.

59. December 21st, 2009 2:55 pm

please where to find video cd of film bhawani junction
    rgds

60. January 6th, 2010 7:05 pm

i want to find one video copy of the movie bhowani junction, where to find in pakistan please help
    warm regards
    naseem khan
    karachi/pakistan

January 21st, 2010 12:46 pm

The DVD of this movie is now available at amazon

January 21st, 2010 1:19 pm

Translation of two more Urdu pages added to the text above today

63. Ali says:
    February 10th, 2010 7:50 am

This film is available at Shazad in Defence, Lahore ( Karachi , try Lahreb, they should have it ) the print in Lahore is not the original cinemascope ratio ( widescreen ) but hey, its better than nothing

February 10th, 2010 9:59 am

I finally got to watch this movie last week. There are several shots of Lahore of 1950s plus many minutes of footage of Lahore Station. A must see movie!

65. Yahya says:
    June 22nd, 2010 12:46 pm

Wow, what an amazingly informative post!

66. Rafique says:
    June 22nd, 2010 6:57 pm

Amazing. Now I have to see the film. Great post, yaar.

67. Humaira says:
    June 22nd, 2010 8:25 pm

Lovely post. What a time that must have been. Imagine a Hollywood movie being filmed in Pakistan today.

68. Watan Aziz says:
    June 22nd, 2010 9:21 pm

Thank you ATP for a great library of timeline of amazing reminders.

Because Mai Jori Jamali’s mother had to “travel” two miles to get the water then.

As she does the same now.

And it is the same quality of water that anyone who can read this post will not even want to throw up into.

And Shazia Masih’s mother did not attend school then and her daughter did not either; worse, she is not even here to tell her story on how she did not even get proper medical care.

So, what do these nostalgically sugar wrapped memories mean for them?

And how do they differ from that of the ATP readers?

Is this what Pakistaniat is supposed to be? Is this Jinnah’s Pakistan? Is this Allama’s vision?

How long is long enough?

P.S. ATP, thank you also for de-linking the smiling faces of the future of Pakistan; the hardworking, honest and decent graduates with that of the criminals and liars.

69. JJ says:
    June 23rd, 2010 5:56 am

Where in Lahore is the FALLETIS HOTEL ??
    I want to visit it or maybe stay there.

70. Adnan Ahmad says:
    June 23rd, 2010 10:33 am

A good repost Owais. I am yet to watch this movie. However I drove through Gardner’s North Carolina in the spring and thought of this post as I drove. Her Husband Frank Sinatra’s song ‘I am a fool to want you’ played in the background.

71. T.S. Bokhari says:
    June 23rd, 2010 9:54 pm

Yes! It is the time for such posts to remind us we were real human beings once and Lahore was Lahore which Eva Gadener could visit and meet people freely. I have been in that Lahore and loved it even with no Eva Diva.

72. ASADoo says:
    July 5th, 2010 4:06 pm

“It was Eva Gardner; I saw her when she came to Lahore for a movie shooting”, Moeen Qureshi (ex caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan) when asked about the most beautiful lady he had ever seen.

73. Huma says:
    September 24th, 2010 4:16 pm

My mother rememebers the time when they went to see the filming of Bhowani Junction at the railway station in Lahore, and more specifically Stewart Granger :) … and she really enjoyed seeing this article and these pics.

74. Junaid MJ says:
    September 29th, 2010 3:49 pm

Can someone tell me the name of pakistani dancer who dance along with Stewart and AVA at railway station?

75. Anil Srivastava says:
    October 29th, 2010 12:39 pm

‘Bhowani’ is Jhansi: not Lahore. Do read the book carefully. The No.1 Down Mail passed through terrain that is in Central India not in the Punjab. In addition, Jhansi has four distinct quarters: the Cantonment, the Civil Lines, the Railways and the Old City. To the best of my knowledge, Lahore does not have the same distinct divisions.

76. azeem says:
    February 11th, 2011 4:47 am

Search bhowani junction 1956 on YouTube.com

77. Azher Javed says:
    May 22nd, 2011 8:50 pm

The name of the Pakistani artist in the as came known after wards is NEELO.

78. Azher Javed says:
    May 22nd, 2011 8:52 pm

The name of the Pakistani artist in the MOVIE as came known after wards is NEELO.