Sharia Law Saves CIA Agent’s Skin, and Hillary Didn’t Inhale Either

Posted on March 17, 2011
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Foreign Relations, Law & Justice

The funny part – probably the only funny part – of the entire Raymond Davis fiasco is US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton claiming that “the United States did not pay any compensation” or ‘blood money’ to secure the release of CIA operative Raymond Davis (who had earlier killed two Pakistanis in Lahore and caused the death of at least another two) under the Sharia Law provision of ‘diyat.’ Reminds one of her husband, Bill Clinton’s, famous line that he had smoked marijuana but did not “inhale.”

Not as funny for some, including Ms. Clinton (who, like her husband is also a well trained lawyer and does not inhale), is the fact that whether the US paid it directly or had some fixer of choice – maybe the Saudis (although they deny it) – to pony up the cash it was an arcane and less than endearing provision in Sharia Law that saved this CIA agent’s skin (see images above of court documents, based on Sharia law, detailing the deal and distribution of blood money along Sharia stipulates, paid to victims families – whether by the US or not, but certainly on its behalf).

One wonder’s how all the red state legislatures voting to outlaw Sharia Law in the United States will react to that little factoid.

Personally, I do not find this funny at all: As I suggested yesterday the precedent being set here – on diplomacy, on diyat and blood money, and just for the respect of law – is one that both the US and Pakistan will live to regret.

But so be it. Right now, it is being said that the the family of the third person killed (trampled by a US Consulate car) has also received a hefty payment and possibly US citizenship. Similar Sharia deals were stuck on the US’s behalf with the families of two who Raymond Davis had shot. The nature and structure of these blood money deals with the families are laid out in the court documents above (from Cafe Pyala, where I first saw these). In the case of  Faizan Haider’s family, the distribution of Diyat blood money comes to Rs. 100,000,002 (equivalent to US$1.166 Million); reportedly, the same deal was stuck with the family of the other person killed.

According to Cafe Pyala, the distribution is as follows:

Faizan Haider’s Mother: Rs. 33,333,333/-
Faizan Haider’s Wife: Rs.25,000,000/-
Faizan Haider’s Brother No.1: Rs. 7,575,758/-
Faizan Haider’s Brother No.2: Rs. 7,575,758/-
Faizan Haider’s Brother No.3: Rs. 7,575,758/-
Faizan Haider’s Sister No.1: Rs. 3,787,879/-
Faizan Haider’s Sister No.2: Rs. 3,787,879/-
Faizan Haider’s Sister No.3: Rs. 3,787,879/-
Faizan Haider’s Sister No. 4: Rs. 3,787,879/-
Faizan Haider’s Sister No. 5: Rs. 3,787,879/-

I am afraid that unsavory intended as well as unintended consequence of that bargain will soon engulf both in even more headaches.

Here is a parting question for those who may be US citizens and tax-payers: Will the man who sometimes goes by the name of Raymond Davis reimburse the US taxpayers for the reportedly over US$2.25 million paid under Sharia law to save his skin?

34 Comments on “Sharia Law Saves CIA Agent’s Skin, and Hillary Didn’t Inhale Either”

1. Brian says:
    March 17th, 2011 9:59 pm

Wow. You are on a roll man!
    Hilary did not inhale!
    Very funny.
    Who is she fooling. I guess the same people that Bill was: the American public!

2. Angie says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:15 pm

I guess the Tea Party guys were right: The US IS moving towards Shariah Law!

3. Sohail Shah says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:20 pm

Hillary made the deal but did not pay.
    Finally some sane coverage of the Raymond Davis issue.

4. Shafiq says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:23 pm

What about the third person killed? Was his family also paid compensation?
    Although Raymond Davis was not responsible but ultimately the USA citizen was.

5. ASAD says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:26 pm

@Shafiq
    Read the post above.
    It says that they were and also got US passports. That is why they have been quiet.

6. Asad says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:30 pm

How well do you twist issues?

Is it only this serious matter!

We ought to have some shame!

7. Humaira says:
    March 17th, 2011 10:38 pm

Very funny.
    Very sad.

8. March 17th, 2011 10:59 pm

Some comments from the ATP Facebook Page:

- “Its not sharia law which saved CIA Agent. Even if there was no such law, Raymond would have been saved anyways. so sharia law is irrelevant”
    - “Send it to Hillary :@…………. Now its TIME TO SAVE PAKISTAN…… WHO ALLOW THEM TO Come here and SPY. !!! Where are our security agencies !!”
    - ” jahan apna matlab aya wahan shariah law !!!!”

9. March 17th, 2011 11:37 pm

we should talk about pease not only war :)

10. Nihari says:
    March 18th, 2011 1:45 am

Here is new poll of ATP

1 W HAT IS THE NATIONAL SPORT OF PAKISTAN

A) PARANOIA
    2) TRIVIAL PERSUIT
    3) SELECTIVE AMNESIA

11. Anwer says:
    March 18th, 2011 3:15 am
  12. M. KHAN says:
    March 18th, 2011 4:14 am

Well now a good number of Pakistani father, mother, sister, brother, wife will wish an encounter of their beloved small time street robbers with an American agent.
    The guy will be a shaheed and the family will come out of it’s miserable life at least for some time.

13. Anwer says:

چشم نم سے شرمندہ
    ہم قلم سے شرمندہ
    سوچتے ہیں کیا لکھیں

14. Brian says:
    March 18th, 2011 7:25 am

Good point.
    This is official acceptance of Shariah Law in the US!

15. Adnan says:
    March 18th, 2011 8:34 am

So the copy of document proves that only ONE victim’s family agreed to sign the document and other did not. Does this mean they did not accept the pressure or something else? It does not seem Diyat case either. But who cares? Reymond’s name was in ECL too but the rule violated as well but..let me wait… since we “Beggers not Chosers”(As Kalay Angraiz in Pakistan tell us), we should not talk about law.
    The article about Shariah in US is quite funny and somewhat predicts the future of USA. The way Islam is spreading in US, it would not be surprising if Shariah is implemented there before than any “official” Islamic country. *grin*

16. Rasheed says:
    March 18th, 2011 9:31 am

Blood money in this case is NOT relevant. I don’t know what happened to our scholars. When cases were brought before Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him) involving one non-Muslim party, he handed down punishment if the non-Muslim party were found guilty based on THEIR OWN tradition/law, not according to the Muslim tradition. So Davis, being non-Muslim, while could not, and should not, have been punished under the normally harsh ISLAMIC laws, could also NOT enjoy the benefits when convenient to him. If non-Muslims deserve Islamic judgement, then any American caught doing Zenaa’ (relations out of wedlock) or drinking or narcotics, must also be punished according to Shariah law — I’m sure John Kerry would not come to Pakistan asking for a Shariat penalty for such an American!

But let’s not be so naiive. Davis was up to something much bigger than ordinary spying. Analysts suspect that he was, among several others, trying to establish a link between Lashkari Tayyibah (declared by Umreeka a terrorist organization) and the ISI. I’m sure the ISI knew this very well, and were shadowing Davis, who got frustrated and finally took it out upon the agents constantly pestering him by following him around.

He was part of a mission, IMHO, led by the [not so] Honourable Hillary Clinton to set the stage for a major military attack on Pakistan after declaring to the world that ISI was, in effect, a terrorist organization involved in the Mumbai attack. That would explain Hillary’s visceral involvement in the case, and I think she impelled John Kerry with some effort, to visit us in Pak. John normally isn’t so gung ho like Hillary is, and maybe, just maybe, deep within, he feels remorse, and used by her. Hillary, you would know, is a high profile benefactor [read missionary] of the AIPAC, and therefore, by extrapolation, of the Mossad.

Such links to terrorism were implicity or explicitly declared in case of Iraq’s Elite Republican Guard, which were Saddam’s most loyal forces before the invasion, and explicitly by Condi Rice and Secy. Paulson against Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps in 2007. That attack against Iran (plan of which was exposed by late American journalist Seymour Hersh and US military defector Scott Ritter) hasn’t happened yet, possibly because of their missiles that can reach Tel Aviv, or that there is limited access to their top power structure and scant human intelligence. But Pakistan is ripe for an easy victory – a cakewalk by comparison to Iraq. Our current rulers might even invite the American military to secure their exit abroad (to sheild them from the public’s outrage) while the Americans occupy Islamabad’s govt. offices, and build an embassy in Islamabad even bigger than the mega complex in Baghdad.

17. March 18th, 2011 9:53 am

What we telling the world from this … read Below

“AHHH !!! If u have 200 Million Rs to pay as Blood Money, you can kill / Murder any 4 us.

Read more…

I want to get Killed / Slaughtered / Murdered same Like Faizan, Faheem or Ibad in hands of any American CIA Agent like (Mr. Raymond Davis, aka Rahman Davis aka now as Mahman Davis) so that in return my family could get (200 Million Rs. & American Passport) as my Blood Money) This is what i also want now Plz Mr. Muntor help me in this regard and send some one like (Mr. Mahman Davis) for me as well

18. Anita says:
    March 18th, 2011 10:03 am

Sad,Depressing,shameful decision of a weak country.Raymond’s list of crime include more than the murder of 2 innocent boys.

19. Supporter of Polygamy Law says:
    March 18th, 2011 10:08 am

@Adil Najam:

If “Sister Wives” (TLC reality show) family is taken to court of law and all the way to US Supreme Court, i’m sure Polygamy will also be allowed in USA.
    Red state legislators will see another Sharia Law implemented.

20. March 18th, 2011 11:23 am

Bohot buree baat hoee yeh. He’s a criminal

21. Adnan says:
    March 18th, 2011 6:25 pm

According to Liberals’ darling Mullah, Jawed Ghamidi who is famous to give Fatwa in favor of liberals made a U-turn when he publicly said that Haqqani’s version of Diyat is not Diyat at all because Diyat applies only when a person is declared a criminal by court as well as money is offered by the murderer itself but here’s not the case.

WIll Liberal gonna curse Ghamidi as a right wing Mullah now.

also, needless to say, Hussain Haqqani played the role of Mir Jafar of modern times because he advised Kerry to use the Diyat rule

22. Adnan says:
    March 18th, 2011 6:40 pm

Breaking!!

The famous Barelvi Group, Sunni Tehrik offers Rs.400 MILLION to greedy Taseer’s family in the name of “Diyat Law”. Will Zardari and Haqqani allow Taseer family to avail this lucrative offer?

23. AlixKhan11 says:
    March 18th, 2011 10:24 pm

@Adnan

“And for those liberals who are in love with Shariah, they can ask corrupt Taseer’s family to exercise Diyat law as well to grab some more money and forget Qadri. *smirk*”

That smirk of yours is that forced me to type this response. When the liberal Senator Giffords of AZ was shot by Laughner, there was not a single person in the country who defended that whack job. When Qadri took out liberal Taseer, the half the country was showering praise and eloquence on him.

From a Kala Angraiz: It is not that you should not talk about law; you are free to champion the rule of law all you want. What the Kala Angraiz are trying to say and the Gora Desis (because they think that they are entitled to the same rights and protections as goras) seem incapable to comprehend is that 1) a nation that does not accept the rule of law within its own borders will not get any respect of its laws from others as well. Killings that you condemn (Raymond) are a natural consequence of the killings that you support (Taseer) and 2) a slave simply does not question its master.

There is a “Friends Of Pakistan” group; so permanent is our need of assistance (aka bheek, khairat) that a group of donors has setup a permanent forum to figure out how to bail us out again and again. I think it Albright who said “The strong do as they wish, the week suffer as they must”

24. readinglord says:
    March 19th, 2011 4:43 am

Not a bad deal for the paky robbers, killed by Davis, masterfully, ostensibly, in self-defense. They became shaheed (guaranteed heaven in the next world) and their families got the earthly ‘heaven’.

But the question is who bore the loss? Yehni, speaking in Punjabi, thuk kinoon lagi’?

Mahloom hota he kih thuk wi pakiaan noon lagi ey. Yehni ‘saada ei sir te sadi ei jutiaan’!

What a joke has been played with ‘shariah law’ and the paki public!

25. Sarah says:
    March 19th, 2011 6:19 am

Well, it is about time to focus on ‘real’ problem and issues that Pakistan is plagued with.

We all know that Pakistan and the US relations equals “price tags” of all sorts….this is just another addition to a long list of events!

26. UncleSargam says:
    March 19th, 2011 9:56 am

Shariah Law is evil and barbaric, regardless of who used it or benefited from it. Not sure what point you’re trying to make

27. March 19th, 2011 1:57 pm

تم اپنے آپ کو بدل لو، قسمت
    آپ سے آپ بدل جائے گی

28. Meengla says:
    March 19th, 2011 3:17 pm

I am glad this episode is over!

And I certainly don’t believe a white guy roaming the streets of Pakistan would be stupid enough to become the purposeful killer that Raymond Davis is made out to be. Fact is that in Pakistan there are robbers roaming the streets who would kill you for a freaking cell phone. An American would be sure bounty for them.
    CIA needs to get out of Pakistan. Especially from the cities. Davis saga is likely to be repeated if they don’t get out.

Oh, the ‘rule of law’ argument! What law? In a country where the lawyers themselves shovered rose petals on the killer of Salman Taseer?

@Rasheed gets the prize for the most paranoid post..so far.

29. Javeria says:
    March 20th, 2011 3:06 am

The Americans have again played into the hands of the fundamentalists. No one gives them more nourishment that USA and its supporters themselves. They may have sneaked him away from Pakistan but they have left behind another great propaganda tool for the extreme. If Americans wonder why the whole world hates them. Maybe it is because of the arrogance that they act with. I am not buying into the right wings propaganda on this but this was the last nail in the coffin for me for American credibility. As far as I am concerned the US is as much an enemy of Pakistan as the Taliban and its supporters. Both be cursed!

30. Nasir Hussain says:
    March 20th, 2011 5:01 pm

16th March 2011, I was sitting in office busy in work… a message received on my cell “Raymond Davis out of jail.Those ****** released him…”. I couldn’t believe this message…. In a confused state of mind I immediately searched news on internet but there was no such breaking news till then … I replied the message …are you sure?? And yes after a while breaking news start coming on net too………I was unable to believe it…I dont know why, some how, I had developed a very strong believe inside that this won’t happen or at least never like this…

I didn’t want to talk, laugh or do anything that whole remaining day….we have multiple projects of USA in our office…I neither wanted to write a single line of code for them, in fact I was so numb and shocked that I was unable to think of any code either……..

I had promised myself to be a part of any protest which comes my way right on the same day if any such incident would happen.…incidentally a friend of mine who is a big fan of a political leader, messaged me that this political party workers are going to protest in front of American counselate in Lahore tonight…

I decided to be part of this protest (which was rather a political protest)….. so when I left office I changed my routine way back to home…as I use public transport so I hired one…the van used to travel fast on its route in normal days……but whats today???…..the van seemed to move at much slower speed than usual as if some evil unseen force had slowed down the time and pace of everything around me…was this van going slow or was I burning inside hastily…….

I hated to see any laughing face on my way…..when I was half way away a fight took place between conductor and couple of passengers…reason for fight was so ignorable and minor but no one showed tolerance for each other…….I felt so pity for my nation where everyone is sitting ready to fight over personal issues but no one is ready to join for common national cause…….

I came across American counselte in Lahore….I wished to see at least some people still there to protest on today’s event….but at first sight I could see nothing but just police men everywhere……they were gathered there like ants, with a sole purpose to protect every CIA agent hidden inside under diplomatic cover……..protecting them as if we are the culprits and inside is the most innocent, naive and peace loving personnel of American secret agencies on mission of saving world from a brutal, inhuman and biggest terrorists of whole world……

Feeling extremely demoralised and ashamed I spitted on a police van and walked ahead still wishing to see some civilian protestors there…..luckily I saw around 30 to 40 people standing outside Lahore press club of the same political party…..I went near and listened to them while they were giving interviews to a private channel anchor…..whenever person giving interview talked something worth, all his party workers started shouting not against the incident but mostly for their political party leader chanting slogans for him to be country’s next prime minister……I wondered were they gathered there for their leader or for Pakistan??…… I could hardly find any common man there just for the sake of protest except very few…. is it very necessary for all of us to come out only on the call and command of any leader????…… isnt there a slight dignity left inside us, a tiny spot of self respect and honour which becomes our hidden leader and force us to leave the comforts of our of rooms?????.…….I could just stand there being a silent protestor…….nothing more….but at least I was there…………!

I went back home from there……tomorrow I will buy sweets and will distribute among my office colleagues and will eat myself too…upon asking I will just say this much…”even my son was born today I would have never distributed sweets……….but I distributed these sweets to let everyone know that now I am also a very proud citizen of this PROVEN LIVING DEAD NATION in every such incident…….it was not the van which was going slow it was my dignity my pride my belief which was burnt to death last night……congratulations now I am also like all of you………..”

======================================================================
    P.S : I didn’t distribute sweet to my office colleagues but at my heart I want to do it for my whole nation!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
    Nasir Hussain
    (Now just a Pakistani rather a Proud Pakistani……….)

31. Sarah says:
    March 21st, 2011 2:50 am

Funny post. Poor Hillary. First she had to defend a prick of a husband, and now she has to fish out this prick of a spy.

32. Bangash says:
    March 21st, 2011 3:56 am

Why are some commentators accusing the US of “arrogance” in this episode ? The US used Pakistani Shariat laws to get their man out. The same mullahs who are always ready to kill in defense of these Shariat laws, cannot now complain about the laws being applied. I doubt they will be able to make much political hay out of this.

With Pakistan victory over Australia, this issue has already begun to fade.

33. Aslam says:
    March 24th, 2011 9:21 am

Does anyone know where Mr. Davis is now? In Afghanistan or already back in USA?

34. Francis says:
    March 27th, 2011 6:25 pm

Don’t know who comes out looking more pathetic in this case, Pakistan or the USA. Both have been miserable in how they treated this.