Budgetary Performance: Finance Minister v. Parliamentary Opposition

Posted on June 3, 2011
Filed Under >Tamashbeen, ATP Poll, Economy & Development, Politics

Tamashbeen

There were two performances in the Pakistan parliament today. The presentation of the 2011-2012 budget by Finance Minister Hafeez Sheikh and the protest tamasha by the parliamentary opposition. Personally, I was disappointed in both performances. But much more in the later than the first. But maybe I am being a ‘harsh grader.’ So I do want to find out how our readers feel, so here is an ATP Poll. What was your reaction? (Please note there are two seperate questions, requiring two answers.)

Budget details, they were in the orioginal speech are here, in the original budget speech. For those who missed the performances, here is a small glimpse (highlights included PML(N) leader Ahsan Iqbal bringing a roti to the Finance Minister and others throwing bangles at the Prime Minister, in addition to constant shouting throughout the speech):

15 Comments on “Budgetary Performance: Finance Minister v. Parliamentary Opposition”

1. Faizan says:
    June 4th, 2011 12:45 am

I must say I saw the speech in the news and I was very disappointed in the baazari behavior of the politicians. I am not a PPP supporter, but this was just too much. I would shout at my son if he behaved like that and to see our so called leaders behaving like that was really bad.

2. J.S.K. says:
    June 4th, 2011 1:10 am

Actually, I just read the actual speech draft that you have in link. It is a very good budget. All the right points, specially about relief for salaried poor.

3. Monano says:
    June 4th, 2011 1:30 am

:: :: :: PAKISTAN FOR SALE :: :: ::

Contact:

Zardari Associates

4. laila says:
    June 4th, 2011 3:50 am

ch ch ch … no words :(

5. Lubna says:
    June 4th, 2011 11:26 am

I was certainly ashamed of how the parliamentarians behaved

6. auk says:
    June 4th, 2011 1:46 pm

Its not a performance. It is how you want to run your house.
    The development outlays are disappointing, especially compared with the overall size of the budget, and it looks like the utilization, as was the case this year, will be miserable again.
    I am looking for investments in the power sector as that will be the lifeline that the country needs. There are 3-4 medium size projects that are currently in the works which will add over 2000MW to the national grid. Neelum hydropower with a capacity of almost a 1000 MW, and Guddu hydropower which is over 700 MW. However the allocations to these are modest, and I don’t know their schedule for completion and the current status. These need to be brought online as soon as possible to reduce the ever growing energy shortfall.
    Another thing I don’t understand are the salary raises proposed for the government employees when the fiscal deficit keeps getting out of hand. The proposed 15% raises can be cut in half, and the ensuing savings can be used to solve the structural problems facing the economy.

7. Samdani says:
    June 4th, 2011 6:59 pm

The budget is not bad, although I would have liked maybe less populist measures (for elections) and more infrastructure (specially energy) investment.

8. Nihari says:
    June 4th, 2011 7:57 pm

Grow up…..start living in a democracy…Democracy is not about yes sir no sir three bags full sir. It includes raising questions, protests and off course throwing bangles….There is no disciplined parliment in the world. We are mentally too used to Martial law. Due to these qualities of democracy our ex commando pres didnt had the balls of coming to his self elected parliment for so many years.

9. ASAD says:
    June 4th, 2011 8:16 pm

@Nihari
    If we think democracy is about misbehaving, then democracy in Pakistan is in even bigger trouble than I thought.
    Democracy is about tolerance and respect for difference and the belief that if I have better ideas I will get a chance to rove my ideas next time. Democracy is about giving those who have been given votes the chance to govern.

This is not democracy, this is an attempt to sabotage democracy. Simple rule, if you will not allow your child to behave a particular way in public then you should also not want your politicians to behave that way!

10. Nihari says:
    June 4th, 2011 9:06 pm

@Asad….as i said before…really it has been time that we had a democratic culture….Pakistanis have to observe the working of the assemblies of their neighbor to find out what racous they can go into and how that system delivered them to be one of the power houses of the world. Or probably democracy is an Indian conspiracy too. (add CIA and Mossad to the soup)

11. ASAD says:
    June 4th, 2011 10:00 pm

@Nihari

I am sorry, Nihari, but India is really not the ‘model’ for democracy, even for Pakistan. Sure India has had a rickety democracy that I would have loved in Pakistan, but most straight minded Indians will themselves point out that India’s Lallo Prasad ‘democracy’ is not the ideal for anyone to follow….

Again, this is not standard India bashing stuff, this is about understanding what democracy is. India will I am sure get there, and probably before Pakistan, but it ain’t the model. So, if you want to understand democracy maybe we should start someplace better. Democracy without civility and tolerance may be better than autocracy, but only slightly. And it is incomplete democracy.

12. Nihari says:
    June 4th, 2011 11:31 pm

Take any democracy and please dont go to the Western capital becuz the roots over there goes hundred of years….or go to their earlier year…In pakistan democracy is in its infancy…Let it go through the learning curve.

13. Shez says:
    June 5th, 2011 12:24 am

Poor performance by the opposition. I was expecting a lively session. It appeared they did not have plans for a full blown circus. Or they did not want to because they are “friendly” opposition? It would have been fun had they stopped the minister from continuing his speech and caused a major ruckus.

And those so-called west lovers should know that opposition protests cross many boundaries in our neighboring country. Heck, I have even seen Japanese and Korean sessions with full fights and shoe throwing. It was pretty lame yesterday. PML-N, you have disappointed us. Totally killed the fun.

14. bilal says:
    July 7th, 2011 11:28 pm

Dont we know this present lot will never and can never solve our problems, let me tell you, our problems have only one solution whose name is imran khan, we must support him and he is the one who can solve the problems of this nation:

15. Afshan Malik says:
    July 16th, 2011 10:51 pm

Poor performance by the government all around: