ATP Photo-Quiz: Where is this building?

Posted on October 28, 2006
Filed Under >Adil Najam, ATP Quiz, Architecture

I suspect that most of our readers have never seen this building in Pakistan. Sadly, many would never even have heard of it. However, for reasons that I am sure some readers will soon explain, it should be a fairly easy one to guess for many.

Do you know what building this is? Where? Its significance? If so, do share. If not, make a guess.

22 Comments on “ATP Photo-Quiz: Where is this building?”

1. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 28th, 2006 11:25 am

Bahawalpur Noor Mahal.

2. shirazi says:
    October 28th, 2006 12:04 pm

Yes, Nawab of Bahawalpur’s abode.

3. Samdani says:
    October 28th, 2006 1:55 pm

BAHAWALPUR!
    Could not have guessed.

4. bhindigosht says:
    October 28th, 2006 2:07 pm

Noor Mahal Bahawalpur. Recently bought by the Army.

5. MQ says:
    October 28th, 2006 2:35 pm

Bought by the army? Why, what for?

By the way, Central Library Bahwalpur is also a beautiful building. I believe it’s not bought by the army — yet.

6. MQ says:
    October 28th, 2006 2:45 pm

Could someone please throw some light on the architecture of this building. It may have elements of Mughal architure but,predominantly, it looks European.

7. Momina says:
    October 29th, 2006 12:51 am

Yes, this maginificent building is Bahawalpur palace.

8. Ahmer Khan says:
    October 29th, 2006 8:28 am

Yes this is Noor Mahal i searched on Google :)
    Adil onceagain superb post :)

9. Ahmer Khan says:
    October 29th, 2006 8:29 am

[quote comment="5793"]Bahawalpur Noor Mahal.

It will be good if anyone could do a piece on Bahawalpur, their royal family, the boarding school, etc. We know every little about all that.[/quote]
    Weldone Adnan Ahmad nice answer man :)

10. Raza says:
    October 29th, 2006 10:15 am

I believe the Army bought it for renovation and stuff…

11. Yahya says:
    October 29th, 2006 10:51 am

…and stuff?? You mean holiday resort for our bahadar fauj?

12. Ahmer Khan says:
    October 29th, 2006 12:01 pm

A beautiful palace built like a French chateau on neoclassical lines, strangely at a time when modernism had set in. Built in 1872, there are diverse stories doing the rounds regarding its construction. According to one belief, Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan IV had the palace made for his wife. However, she was there for one night, only as she happened to see the adjoining graveyard from her balcony, and refused to spend another night there. As the story goes, it remained unused during his reign.

13. Zainab L says:
    October 29th, 2006 2:50 pm

I dont live in pakistan, but I did visit this april after 15 yrs!….and i kinda remember seeing this building in Islamabad :s I’m sure i’m wrong but ..hey a wild guess :D

ws

14. Aziz Akhmad says:
    October 29th, 2006 4:43 pm

Zainab,

You must be thinking of the building that was meant to be the prime minister secretriat next to the Supreme Court building. That building is built in the Mughul archetectural style (not a good coypy, though). This one has a distinctly European style and, as attested by several people above, is in Bahawalpur.

15. Daktar says:
    October 29th, 2006 8:43 pm

Does anyone know what the future plans for this building are… after its renovation?

16. Zainab L says:
    October 30th, 2006 5:21 pm

Aziz…:s probably,

I wudnt know :|

I really need to learn more about my country of origin
    inshalah will do in da future

ws

17. November 1st, 2006 12:52 pm

Its simple as 123, this is Prime Minister Secretariat :). Luckily I will not travel any more in front of as I changed my accomodation from Pindi to F-7. :P
    Guessed rightly???

18. BEENISH says:
    February 3rd, 2007 11:53 am

[quote comment="5902"][quote comment="5900"]I believe the Army bought it for renovation and stuff…[/quote]

…and stuff?? You mean holiday resort for our bahadar fauj?[/quote]

19. Fakhruddin Usmani says:
    April 21st, 2007 7:00 pm

you fellas are all wrong this building which I can recall from my personal memory when I was staying in Karachi, Burns Road in my late 60s It is definetely DJ colledge just opposite SM colledge/SM law Colledge

20. Nadia Dxb says:
    November 20th, 2007 3:58 am

Well its nice sharing!

21. Rafay Kashmiri says:
    November 20th, 2007 5:43 am

@ well if Army bought this jewel piece, no wonder
    its to throw Viena Waltz and danse competition !
    to remind colonial nostalgia. After all Pakistanis
    are bring their “Khayals to a Roshni”

22. Muhammad Hafeez Gull Taheem says:
    March 4th, 2008 11:21 pm

The state of BahawalPur is very beautifull and also the people of the state are very good loving peace full people and i realy like this state