ATP Mushaira: Aaj bazar mein pa-bajolaaN chalo

Posted on May 14, 2007
Filed Under >Adil Najam, ATP Mushaira, Music, People, Poetry, Politics, Society, Urdu

For at least one more day I want to stick to the unraveling of Pakistan politics that is happening before us.

I have much to say about it. But people have been saying these things already in response to our last many posts on this issue. What can I add. What can I say that will not already be stale by the time you read it. We expect the ongoing conversations (here and here) to continue, but let me find solace in the one place where I always find it. In poetry. Especially in Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s poetry.

Here is Faiz – in his own words, in his own voice. The second half has the same poem masterfully sung by Nayarra Noor. Enjoy this rare find of kalam i Faiz, ba zaban i Faiz. But more than that, think about what he is saying and how it relates to what is happening today.

Since nearly all members of ATP’s core-team are currently traveling we had a bunch of general posts ready for these next few days while we were stuck on long flights. However, it seems somehow inappropriate to use those posts today. We may well begin doing so tomorrow – not just because we will be on unable to post anything fresh from flights but also because we remain committed to celebrating all the diverse trials and tribulations of being Pakistan … the mundane as well as the profound; the sad as well as the gleeful; the immediate as well as the long-term.

20 Comments on “ATP Mushaira: Aaj bazar mein pa-bajolaaN chalo

1. Jalal says:
    May 14th, 2007 11:53 am

Beautiful.

Chalo Phir Say Muskurain?

2. Shazia Rubab says:
    May 14th, 2007 12:46 pm

Adil Najam,

I’ve been reading your blog for a while and feeling grateful to know that there are other Pakistanis out there who share my sentiments about Pakistan. I couldn’t help but post today just because I want to say thank you so much for digging out treasures and sharing them with us. This is poetry, composition and voice that tugs at my heart and keeps hope alive for a better future for Pakistan. On Saturday, while watching what was happening in Karachi on television, my mother said something that I have heard her say a number of times before. She said, “Is this what millions died for? Is this what we left our homes for? We were better off in India.â€

3. Adnan Ahmad says:
    May 14th, 2007 2:20 pm

Main ye kis ke naam likhoon jo alamm guzar rahay hain
    Mere shehar jal rahay hain,mere log marr rahay hain

Koi guncha ho ke gul ho,koi shaakh ho shajar ho
    Wo hawaa-e-gulistaan hai ke sabhi bikhar rahay hain

Kabhi rehmatain thi nazil issi khita-e-zamee’n par
    Wohi khitta-e-zamee’n hai ke azaab utar rahay hain

Wohi taairo’n ke jhurmut jo hawa main jhooltay thay
    Wo fizaa ko dekhtay hain to ab aah bhar rahay hain

Bari aarzoo thi humko naye khaab dekhnay ki
    So ab apni zindagi main naye khaab bhar rahay hain

KOI aur to Nahi hai pass-e-khanjar aazmaai
    HAMEE QATAL KAR RAHAY HAIN,HAMEE QATAL HORAHAY HAIN!!!!!!

Obaidullah Aleem

4. Moeen Bhatti says:
    May 14th, 2007 2:27 pm

Adil: Its very apprpriate post. Who could have better words than Faiz at this point in time? Its also emotional and has brought tears in my eyes.

5. Ahmed2 says:
    May 14th, 2007 2:44 pm

“Chashm e Num, jaan e shoreeda kafi nahin
    Tohmat e Ishq e posheeda kafi nahin
    Aaj bazaar mein…..”

“Bol kay lab azad hain teray
    Bol zabaan abtak teri hai
    Bol kay sach zinda hai abtak
    Bol jo kuch kehna hai kahhlay”

Please, Adil Najam, continue to jog the sleeping conscience.

6. Pervaiz Munir Alvi says:
    May 14th, 2007 2:55 pm

[my mother said something that I have heard her say a number of times before. She said, "Is this what millions died for? Is this what we left our homes for? We were better off in India."]

Dear Ms. Shazia Rubab: Your mother’s generation had its own compulsions, expectations and doubts. Tell your mother that you have no other options but to work hard for a better Pakistan. We Pakistanis have come a long way. But we have a way to go yet. Nothing is ever achieved without hard work. Nation building is not an easy task. The better days are ahead of us. Do not give up hope.

“keep hope alive for a better future for Pakistan”.

7. Abdullah says:
    May 14th, 2007 3:43 pm

Adnan ! Great poem. Well reminded , suitable for current situation.

8. Shazia Rubab says:
    May 14th, 2007 5:07 pm

Mr.Alvi. I agree with you regarding my mother’s views. Your advice is well taken. Thank you.

9. nashus says:
    May 14th, 2007 10:55 pm

Ah love could thou and I with fate conspire
    to grasp the sorry scheme of things entire
    would not we shatter it to bits and then
    remould it nearer to our hearts desire
    Umar Khyam

10. S.H.Qavi says:
    May 14th, 2007 11:37 pm

It’s saddened me to read and hear what’s been happening in Karachi.I also find refuge in poetry when my heart is filled with different emotions___ grief, anger, frustration, despair and so on.Here are two couplets of Obaidullah aleem .just see how relevant they are today although, he wrote these during the army operation in then East Pakistan. Maen kis kay naam lekhoen jo alum goozar rahey haen. Meray sheher jal rahey haen meray loag mer rahey haen. Koi aur to nahi hae pusey khanjer aazmai. Hum he qatul ker rahey haen hum he qatul ho rahey haen.

11. SMK says:
    May 15th, 2007 12:16 am

I had never heard Faiz so to see him reciting this was great

12. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    May 15th, 2007 1:10 am

amazing! frankly speaking I understood today the background of this poem.

Is it not painful to see that Faraz,another Jiayala poet now appears in an AD C rather writing anything?

13. Eidee Man says:
    May 15th, 2007 1:31 am

[quote comment="47284"]Adil Najam,

14. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    May 15th, 2007 1:43 am

Inteesab

Karachi is not different than what Faiz mentioned in this poem.

15. Jyoti says:
    May 15th, 2007 2:11 am

Bol kay lab azad hain teray….

words that kept journalism alive in 1976-77 during the Emergency in India.

May these words keep inspiring Pakistani media in these turbulent times.

16. Eidee Man says:
    May 15th, 2007 2:39 am

something that has new relevance today

17. mazhar butt says:

”ROLLA HEE ROLLA!”

MAZHAR

18. Adnan Siddiqi says:
    May 15th, 2007 6:26 am
  19. SH Qavi says:
    May 17th, 2007 1:30 pm

Two couplets dedicated to Sindh Govt. Jahill ko aus kee jahul ka inaam diajaey Ishadesaa-e-waqt ko kia naam dia jaey. meykhaney kee toheen hai ridoen kee hutuk hai . cum zerphoen key hathoen mey ager jaam dia jaey. [Mohseen Bhopali]

20. Shazia Rubab says:
    June 22nd, 2007 4:33 pm

This is just to let you know that somebody has done a shararat with my post here and converted the word “watching” into an active link to some business website. This also happened to be my first ever post to anybody’s blog. I was pretty emotional when I wrote all that stuff and someone had the guts to use my comment to make some money. I detest that and hope that this link will be removed. I have no objection if you need to remove my entire comment.