Pakistan Zindabad in French Rap

Posted on April 9, 2011
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Music

A reader sent me a link to this video: A rap song on Pakistan, in French.

I should confess that I do not understand French and I am not really big on rap – except the kind from Yaqub Atif Bulbula.

But the song is catchy and the home-made video endearing in its own way. Just from the key words I can understand, it seems like a group of young second-generation French-Pakistanis expressing their ‘Pakistaniat.’ And that is a feeling one sees often in second generation diaspora. So, I thought I would share this as a weekend post; hopefully there is nothing in the lyrics that I would regret, and if there is please let me know.

18 Comments on “Pakistan Zindabad in French Rap”

1. sidhas says:
    April 9th, 2011 11:21 pm

awesome!!!!

Did you notice no city in Baluchistan was mentioned.

On next release, I would ask they add Quetta as well.

2. Gardezi says:
    April 9th, 2011 11:32 pm

Nice find. And good to see the pride they have in their roots and expressing it in their own way.

In some ways the change that 9/11 etc has brought is that young people living abroad have to deal more squarely with their roots now. That may actually be good.

3. Humaira says:
    April 10th, 2011 12:15 am

I would also love to read a translation. Specially in the video when the bullet on glass visual comes.

4. Faisal says:
    April 10th, 2011 12:16 am

Yaar, gaana tou aweiN hai. Par idea-y kay nambar pooray haiN.

5. April 10th, 2011 2:40 am
  6. Khanum says:
    April 10th, 2011 3:34 am

Before the bullet hits he is talking about unity and solidarity, then says: My first name is Pakistani. We don’t give a crap about the 14th July, we celebrate August 14th. My country has become a site for the media [the bullet hits] he says that the media has portrayed his country as full of pain/bullet, when it’s actually a colorful place. They portray us as terrorists. Then he goes on to say that women aren’t whores in his country. People follow Islam, Pakistan is number one, thanks to Quaid-e-Azam. [loose translation]

7. April 10th, 2011 5:38 am

Good video, Hip Hop is growing with popularity all over Pakistan and with overseas Pakistanis as well

you should check out “Lazarus” He is a rapper and medical doctor who recently did a hip hop version of a nustral fatah ali khan song!

Lazarus – “Drug of Choice” f/ Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan – Official Music Video

8. April 10th, 2011 5:42 am

There also seems to be a website dedicated to covering and promoting Pakistani Hip Hop, It is a very interesting website

9. ms says:
    April 10th, 2011 5:56 am

Nothing to be proud of here. Typical mal-adjusted youth trying to be “different” in western countries. Calling women in their own (yes they are not Pakistani) country whores while singing the virtue of a country they probably have never visited (or at most do so once-twice a year). I wish no one posts the translation of this song. And all Pakistanis think of this as only virtuous , it leaves a sour taste.

10. ShahidnUSA says:
    April 10th, 2011 7:46 am

Uth Jawanah Tera mulk lutaya wich hanere

Eday chini we mengi Eday Atta we Menga
    Par mere mulk di Dulanr paway ik ik lakh da lenga

Copying Gangsters! What next smoking pot?
    Couldn’t they invent their own signs and gestures?

11. AK says:
    April 10th, 2011 6:23 pm

This is an amazing effort! I don’t understand French, but I can sense the passion and love for their country in this song. Please keep it up!

@ShahidnUSA, and @ms, why you hating? I have seen way too many second generation diaspora who completely disassociate themselves with Pakistan, or are ashamed of their association with Pakistan. These kids are proud second generation Pakistanis in France. I respect that, and I wish them all the success! If you can’t say anything encouraging, then perhaps resist the urge to post discouraging comments?

12. Islooite_77 says:
    April 10th, 2011 6:27 pm

People living in Pakistan always think that everything is bad and going down in the country, while a lot of people living outside Pakistan see the glass half full (instead of half empty).

Economic downturn is a GLOBAL issue NOT just PK. PK has A LOT of GREAT things and its getting better while poverty and joblessness is growing in the West.

Kool song but cheesy video, whatsup with those cheesy shots in between, lol. Good effort over all, improve on video, use HD cams at least, they r very cheap nowadays.

13. KAMAL says:
    April 10th, 2011 8:41 pm

IMRAN WANTS UNCONDITIONAL APOLOGY TO BANGLADESH

14. April 10th, 2011 9:36 pm

Our youth need direction, a typical show of the ill-directed young boy. Our nation need direction, when our people will get up against this sham democratic system?

15. April 10th, 2011 10:52 pm

Now that I have a better sense of at least what some of the lyrics say than I did earlier, maybe I should add the comment I would have added to the post.

The idea of hearing Pakistan Zindabad in French still makes me chuckle and is cute. However, the notion that they seem to be ‘celebrating’ August 14 by ‘dissing’ July 14′ (France’s national day) is disturbing. It is, I think, a manifestation of a larger notion of considering identities to be a zero-sum game: as if the more you are of one thing the less you have to be of something else. We see this all over the world, in Pakistan itself on balancing (or not) national, regional, religious and other identities, and certainly it is of major concern for diasporas, especially second-generation diasporas. Of course, the sense of disenfranchisement from one ‘home’ and accentuate the supposed passion for another form of identity; but usually in only a superficial sort of way. That disenfranchisement and the belief of zero-sum identity is, I think, a much larger problem, including in Pakistan itself, and can become one of the causes of intolerance and self-righteous anger amongst many, along entire spectrums of opinion on just about anything.

16. Jami says:
    April 11th, 2011 3:32 am

Not much of a song. But nice try.

17. Sajjad Junaidi says:
    April 11th, 2011 4:06 am

Adil, I think you should add your comments to the main post.

18. Shez says:
    April 17th, 2011 2:21 pm

Very catchy tune indeed. For those objecting to lyrics, I think they don’t understand the basics of rap music. It is a free style music and offers great opportunity to express whatever one wants to. I guess they should give American rap songs a listen and focus on the language used. That would truly be a shocking experience for them.