Tour de Pakistan Cycle Race

Posted on March 3, 2007
Filed Under >Bilal Zuberi, Sports
Total Views: 20932

Bilal Zuberi

For cycle enthusisasts in Pakistan, a wonderful international event is just around the corner. The 13th Tour de Pakistan International Cycling Race, organized by Pakistan Cycling Federation, will be held on March 4-18. The race will start from Quaid’s tomb in Karachi on March 4 and end in Peshawar on March 18, taking the participants through a various cities of Sindh, Punjab and NWPF on the famous Grand Trunk (GT) Road.

This will be among the largest of such events in Asia, covering a distance of 1,648 km in eleven stages with four days of rest en route. This event is being promoted as a part of the Visit Pakistan Year (2007), and is planned to draw an international crowd of cycling enthusiasts to promote a better understanding of the country and to promote tourism.

The event is modeled on the pattern of the well known Tour de France and is expected to include more than 150 domestic and foreign participants, including those from Germany, Canada, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Iran, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. As of last night most of these teams had already arrived in the country.

This race is a fantastic idea and I hope the Federation will succeed in not just promoting the race nationally and internationally, but will also be able to ensure proper arrangements regarding security, lodging, boarding, medical and transport facilities. It is unfortunate that India opted out of the race at the last minute due to security fears after the train incident, but is encouraging to see participants from many other countries involved.

As for Pakistan’s contingent, it is surely hoped that they will put a strong display of skills and team work against their international competitors. Teams from Army, Railways, Wapda and Sui Southern Gas Company, along with teams of the four provinces will be competing for the prize money of Rs 1.2 million. According the PCF, these teams have trained under the supervision of a coach from New Zealand, but even if they do not win, their participation is in itself something to be admired and be joyous about. Go guys!!!

I wish our teams, and the organizers of this event, well in their efforts!

29 Comments on “Tour de Pakistan Cycle Race”

1. March 3rd, 2007 3:23 pm

nice.
    great going.
    i think it would be a really wacky race as well. crowned trucks coming straight at u, rickshaws cutting through u, camels and horse carts in the way.

nice challenge.
    hope all participants leave with a positive experience.

2. Asad says:
    March 3rd, 2007 6:04 pm

Nice change of pic for the comment form… :D

How long would it be before the Mullahs come out to protest participation of women in this event? Or have the organizers denied women participation on fear of Mullahs already?

3. Turab says:
    March 3rd, 2007 6:04 pm

Great going. Wish the organizers all the best to pull off a neat event!

4. BD says:
    March 3rd, 2007 7:20 pm

Why call it “Tour de Pakistan”?

It should be “Pakistan da tour” instead!

5. Eidee Man says:
    March 3rd, 2007 7:45 pm

Is this thing sponsored by Sohrab? :)

6. Immad says:
    March 3rd, 2007 7:48 pm

Agreed with BD. ‘Pakistan da tour’ has a seeming familiarity with Tour de Pakistan and it has a local touch to it as well. Its always good to promote local culture and choosing names which reflect the local language are a good way to do that.

March 3rd, 2007 8:43 pm

8. The Pakistanian says:
    March 3rd, 2007 9:30 pm

[quote comment="36320"]If I remember correct, this race started in 1980s and at that time Quetta used to be on itinerary too. Starting from Karachi, Cyclist used to go to Quetta via Sukkur and then come back onwards to Peshawar via Lahore. The race used to be longer than its current version.[/quote]

Thats right, and this bearded guy (forgot his name) from the POF (Pakistan Ordinance Factory) team won it like two or three times in a row.

March 3rd, 2007 10:26 pm

Pakistanian, yes I remember that PoF guy who won Tour De Pakistan multiple times. I Don’t remember his name now. I’ll try to search on the web

10. Moeen Bhatti says:
    March 4th, 2007 8:00 am

Thats great. I am waiting to hear from the Mullahs that it is unislamic to sit on a narrow cycle seat in the public with the tights on.

11. Arsalan Ali says:
    March 4th, 2007 12:15 pm

12. Eidee Man says:
    March 4th, 2007 2:56 pm

[quote comment="36421"]any idea how secure the race will be for the participants ? wont it be a bit dangerous for foreign cyclists to be so exposed ?[/quote]

13. Ata Bhatti says:
    March 4th, 2007 4:40 pm

Very cool! I love this. I hope this is the start of something special that lasts a long time and generates a lot of interest.

Anyone know where I can buy a Pakistan Cycling Jersey?

Thanks,
    Ata

14. Kabir says:
    March 5th, 2007 11:27 am

Events such as this one are “extremely” important especially at times when Pakistan is trying to market itself and promote tourism. However! Such events must be promoted in the international media & alternative media to have a greater positive impact.

15. Arsalan Ali says:
    March 5th, 2007 11:19 pm

Eidee man
    “Perfect opportunity for someone like you to play on their fears and sell them some security services…they’ll be riding a bike with your people surrounding them with AK-47s”

Haha great idea yar but thats not what i had in mind…..

16. March 6th, 2007 6:32 pm

A picture from Dawn, at the end of 2nd stage in Moro: http://dawn.com/2007/03/06/SlideShow/pic19.jpg

17. Kamran Saleem Qaisrani says:
    June 22nd, 2007 1:40 pm

aslamualikum

when i see this page i like it very much i want to tell you some places that are not added in pakistan tour list that area i want to tell you that is ‘Phugla’ this is very beautyfull are if some one want to know and want to see this are then please mail me i will to every one cause i want to introduce my area

Regard
    kqaisrani2002@gmail.com

18. Kamran Saleem Qaisrani says:
    June 22nd, 2007 1:43 pm

aslamualikum

when i see this page i like it very much i want to tell you some places that are not added in pakistan tour list that area i want to tell you that is ‘Phugla’ this is very beautyfull area and tourest area the border of Balochistan and punjab if some one want to know and want to see this area then please mail me i will to every one cause i want to introduce my area

Regard
    kqaisrani2002@gmail.com

19. December 2nd, 2007 3:37 pm

how can a common man participate in tour de pakistan, what is criteria for joining the race, any way it is a great event for people like me who don’t like cricket but cycling, i hope someday this event will be greater than tour de france.
    I love cycling very much, i would request to PSF, Pakistan Cycling Federetion to build up it own web site so that we can contect with it.

20. Majid Kayani says:
    February 3rd, 2008 3:23 am

Maybe its too late but I only saw this news and comments today. The guy of POF Wah who won this race many times, his name is Nusrat Khan. Before Nusrat, Massod Sadiq was the one who won this race 2 or 3 times I guess. After their time there were new guys who won the race on different times including Kirpal Singh of India in 1989. My brother (late) Tariq Bashir Kayani was one of the great cyclists of that time who died because of a collusion with other cyclists in October 1989. Same year he won the title of fastest cyclist of Pakistan. He won many road and track events in his 6-7 years cycling career but unfortunately only once he got 2nd position in a Tour De Pakistan stage (Bahalpore-Multan 1986 or 87). May Allah forgive him (he died at 23 and half). Tariq we love you and we miss you a lot.

21. hassan says:
    March 11th, 2008 2:13 pm

hai
    i am from wah cantt i wanted to start cycling if their any guy howhelp me in this regard how i start?what are the thing which
    is important in this
    plz help me

22. Talha Khalid says:
    March 30th, 2008 6:48 am

I am interested in cycling and races. Can someone please help me out with this by informing me on my email address.

November 19th, 2008 12:34 pm

2008 version of tour de pakistan cycle race is currently going on. The cyclists covered 178 km long Sukkur-Rahuimyar Khan section on N5 today.

November 19th, 2008 12:36 pm

Details on 2008 ‘Tour De Pakistan’ Cycle Race from Geo News:

KARACHI Nov 16, 2008: The 14th Tour de Pakistan Cycle race has begun in Karachi. The event has a prize money of $10,000.

Acting Sindh Governor Shahla Raza performed the inauguration of the race here at Mazar-i-Quaid on Sunday.

Pakistan Cycle Race which started from Karachi will finish in Peshawar. The race comprises of 11 stages and its overall distance is 1655 kilometres.

In the first phase the cyclists will cover 153-kilometre distance from Karachi to Hyderabad.s

A total of 9 teams are participating in the event. Out of these 7 are from Pakistan and one each from Sri Lanka and Afghanistan.

The prize money is $10,000 which will be distributed, at the end of the race on November 28, among the cyclists winning the first six positions.

25. ad says:
    July 27th, 2009 7:08 am

Sallam.hallo brother some one can tell me about cycling race in pakistan.when are next race is coming.I am very interesting to participate in any race in pakistan .How i can parcitipate in it.

March 15th, 2010 10:25 am

The 15th Tour de Pakistan concluded in Karachi yesterday (March 14, 2010). The race had started on March 1, 2010 participated by cyclist from different teams of Pakistan and Afg.

Zahid Gulfam of WAPDA won the race by covering distance of 1,655 km in 46 hours 13 minutes and 9 seconds and recieved US$ 2,500. Nisar Ahmed got second position and got US$ 1,500 while third position holder Hashmatullah of Afg received US$ 1,000. Fourth to sixth finishers received US$ 750 each.

27. Hasan Syed says:
    October 8th, 2010 9:46 pm

Good to see that there is a team or cyclists in Pakistan. I am in Chicago, IL and our group ride almost 300 miles a weak but pretty fast pace of 24 miles an hour. I am visiting Karachi in December for a weak to 10 days. Is there any group to ride with? Please let me know.

Thanks
    Hasan Syed

28. MOHAMMED ARIF RAHI says:
    March 4th, 2011 4:12 am

SALAM,
    I WISH MR ZAHID GULFAM WILL WIN THIS RACE TOUR DE PAKISTAN AGAIN BUT I HEART PAKISTAN SPORT BOARD HAS BAND ZAHID,I HOPE SPORT BOARD ALLOW TO PARTICAPTE IN TOUR-DE PAKISTAN THIS YOUNG CYCLIST ZAHID GULFAM,HE HAVE TO SCOUP FOR PAKISTAN.

29. Soeren says:
    September 20th, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello, I’m very interested in the 2012 Tour of Pakistan as a Rider. Where can I get more information about the Tour and the involved Teams?