Majeed Amjad: The Poet Less Remembered

Posted on December 13, 2009
Filed Under >Fawad, People, Poetry, Urdu

In the post-Iqbal era of Urdu poetry there are few greater poets than Majeed Amjad (this is a link to a short bio of him in Wikipedia that I wrote and I would love readers familiar with his work to add to it).

Yet, he may also be amongst the most under-recognized and under-appreciated of our great poets.Even amongst the lovers of Urdu poetry his name is least likely to be recognized.

Reading Majeed Amjad’s magnificent poetry I have often wondered how it is that some literary reputations get created from meager contributions but some people forever struggle to gain just acclaim.

In Majeed Amjad’s case I think it was a confluence of factors: he was a quiet, reserved introvert with no inclination for self-marketing. He lived away from the literary center of Lahore in small Punjabi towns like Sahiwal and Jhang and never had many influential advocates of his literary merits.

But, perhaps more importantly, Majeed Amjad was not an ideological poet affiliated with one or the other group of literary luminaries who could beat their partisan drums on his behalf (Progressive Writers Movement managed to turn everyone who knew the words ‘mazdoor’ or ‘kisan’ into literary giants).

However, on to some examples of his wonderful poetry (unfortunately I do not possess any talent for translation so my apologies to those who struggle with literary Urdu).

Shab-e-Rafta was the only collection of his poetry published in his lifetime. He wrote a beautiful poem (Harf-e-Awwal) as an introduction to that collection:

DardoN ke is koh-e-garaaN se
MeiN ne tarashi, nazm kay eewaN
ki ik ik sil,
Ik ik soch ki hairaaN moorat …Garche qalam ki nok se tapke
Kitne tarane, kitne fasane
Lakh masaail
Dil meiN rahi sub dil ki hikayat!

Bees baras ki kaawish-e-paiham
Sochte din aur jaagti raateiN
Un ka haasil:
Aik yahi izhaar ki hasrat!

The persistent undercurrent of Majeed Amjad’s poetry is a view of life that is essentially tragic (perhaps another reason why it is difficult for the young to embrace him compared to say Faiz’s optimistic theme of ‘we shall overcome’) . Majeed Amjad feels the inexorable cruelty of time in his bones. Life’s circle continues with unremitting regularity indifferent to what it leaves behind.

In the poem “KunwaN”, the water wheel symbolizes the perpetual circle of time and the water carrier, symbolizing the divine, watches this passing of time and its ravages with complete detachment:

KunwaN chal raha hai! magar khet sookhe pare haiN, na fasleiN, na khirman, na dana
Na shakhon ki bahein, na phooloN ke mukhre, na kalioN ke mathe, na rut ki jawani …KunwaiN wala, gaadi pe leta hai, mast apni bansi ki meethi sureeli sada meiN
KahiN khet sookha para reh gaya aur na us tak kabhi aai pani ki bari
KahiN beh gayi aik hi tund rele ki fayyaz lehroN meiN kayari ki kayari …

Aur ik naghma sarmadi kaan meiN aa raha hai, musalsal kunwaN chal raha hai
Payape magar narm rau us ki raftaar, paiham magar betakan us ki gardish
Adam se azal tak, azal se abad tak badalti nahiN aik aan us ki gardish
Na jane liye apne dolaab ki aastinoN maiN kitne jahaaN us ki gardish

RawaN hai rawaN hai
TipaN hai tipaN hai
Yeh chakkar yuhiN jaawidaN chal raha hai
KunwaN chal raha hai

I could go on but the last poem that I would like to quote in this piece is “Maqbara e Jahangir”. Notice the wholly different tone of Majeed Amjad’s poem. His reaction to this beautifully historic sight is a deep sadness as he sees human beings (gardeners, people picknicking etc.) in this serene setting either struggling to get through the day or wholly oblivious to this fleeting existence.

Khurdre, maile, phate kaproN meiN boorhe maali
Yeh chaman band, jo guzre hue sultanoN ki
HaddiaN seench ke phulwariaN mehkate haiN
Ghaas kat ti hai ke din in ke kate jate haiN …

Teen sau saal se mabhoot khare haiN jo yeh sarv
In ki shakheiN haiN keh afaaq ke sheeraze haiN
Saf-e-ayyam ki bikhri hui tarteebeN haiN
In ke saaye haiN keh dhalti hui tehzeebeN haiN …

MarmareeN qabr ke ander, tahe zulmaat kahiN
Kirmak-o-Moor ke jabroN meiN salateeN ke badan
Koi dekhe, koi samjhe to is eewaN meiN jahaaN
Noor hai, husn hai, taz’een hai, zeebaish hai
Hai to bus aik dukhi rooh ki gunjaish ha

Fawad is a California-based literati-at-large and manages the blog Moments of Tranquility, where a version of this was first posted. This post was first posted at ATP in October 2006 and is now being re-posted.

38 Comments on “Majeed Amjad: The Poet Less Remembered”

1. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 8th, 2006 4:12 pm

This post may have taken this blog to an other level. For many Majid Amjad was the greatest “nazm” poet to have lived. Faiz’ fans may disagree, but I, despite being a Faiz fan, agree with that conjecture. There are many reasons as to why he was not recognized by the main circles; one of them was him staying out of those circles throughout his life. He was a sub-food inspector in sahiwal and lived a life of utmost poverty. His last days were spent on empty stomach waiting for pension that never came. I feel physical pain in my heart when I read about the personal struggles of this giant for basic necessities in life. His dead body was carried between Jhang and Sahiwal in a vehicle used for animal transportion. I think it would be great if anyone could post his poem Imroz(meaning “today” and correct me if I am wrong on the translation) here. That poem defines Majid Amjad.

2. October 8th, 2006 4:45 pm

I don’t exactly agree with the assumption that in the post-Iqbal era FEW poets are great. Of course, few is a very safe word to write :)

Yes he is a very important poet but the assumption that he was not acclaimed is incorrect. Though general magazines and papers may not have printed his poetry as their reader wants light ghazals (and nazms) for easy consumption, but in India (and Pakistan also) all major literary magazines from Shabkhoon to Shaa’er and Saughaat gave him the rightful place. Literary acclaim and popular acclaim are too different things.

I do agree that he may be less remembered or discussed but that doesn’t mean he is not considered important. This happens with many poets. Especially when it is not mass poetry.

However, this post-Iqbal era thing is just putting him on too higher a pedestal. Actually six-seven major generations of poets have gone after Iqbal.

Leave Faiz, Urdu poetry has Makhdoom, Jazbi, Majaz (don’t look at their romanticims alone and the fact that they were mere progressives but in perspective and the broad canvas which these poets brought in Urdu poetry).

I am not talking about Faiz only. But what about NM Rashid (Noon Meem Rashid) and the bohemian poet Meeraji (who had fallen in love with a girl Meera and took it as his own name for life). Sanaullah Khan Saani Daar Meraji was the most revolutionary poet of Nazm in Urdu.

And Akhtarul Iman. His poems like Ek LaRka are gems of Urdu. He is clearly in the first league. How many discuss Ameeq Hanafi these days because he died early. His nazms are a treasure of Urdu poetry. Who hasn’t read his nazm on Lolita or Samanar…Or for that matter Asad Mohammad Khan (of Pakistan) whose Nau Manzila Imarat was a pathbreaking nazm. Sardar Jafri, Munibur Rahman and Kaifi Azmi can’t be discounted.

Much before them was Akhtar Sheerani. His nazms like ‘Jahaan Rehana rahti thi..’ etc may look a little bachkana to mature readers now but they were stepping stone on which edifice of modern Urdu poetry was built. And there are so many other names.

In the last few decades many poets have written wondeful verses.
    Not FEW but Many…Urdu literature is too rich. Yes, a time come when a poet appears to have gone in oblivion until he is again discovered…just like you have brought Majeed Amjad in focus.

Yet these literary argumens bring interesing conversations. Faruqi considers Ahmad Mushtaq as better poet than Firaq. I don’t agree but some of you might.

3. Fawad says:
    October 8th, 2006 4:56 pm

Adnan, heartening to hear from another Majeed Amjad fan. I am fortunate to have grown up in a house where Majeed Amjad was often mentioned and often quoted. My father met him several times and (I believe this is not just a family bias) has done much to get Majeed Amjad the recognition he deserves. Reading his “nazms”, frankly I find very few modern Urdu poets to match his exquisitely delicate sensibility and deep humanity without any sloganeering.
    Here is link to the poem “Imroz” on the internet:

4. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 8th, 2006 5:30 pm

Fawad, Thanks for the link. However, the nazm is incomplete. Are you aware of any other link on the web that may have this poem in entirety?

5. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 8th, 2006 9:40 pm

Are you Khawaja M Zakariya’s son? If so then what could I write here. I am a karachite, from a city with strong and distinct literary roots of its own, and whoever in the adabi circles there I have met had deep respect for Majid (Majeed) Amjad. And in the end it is to Khawaja Sahab’s credit.

6. October 8th, 2006 9:59 pm

FYI, we have just added the part of ‘Imroze’ that was available on the web to the post above.

7. October 9th, 2006 12:14 am

In matters of literature I have never found discussions of ‘who is better than whom’ to be particularly inspiring. Yet we do get into them (for example, on whether Rabbi Shergil’s version of ki janaan mein koun is better than Junoon’s).

To me the key point of this post is why a poet of Majeed Amjad’s caliber never got the kind of recognition that one might have expected. And he did not.

Fawad gives us some good clues – although I should say that, personally, I share the prejudices of the taraqqi pasands. I wonder, however, if the question of who sings ones poetry (and how) also has something to do with it. Mehdi Hassan singing guloun mein rang bharray or Iqbal Bano singing hum daikhain gay were not inconsequential to the popular appeal of Faiz and, in many cases, drove people to read what else he had written. Faiz would not have been a lesser poet without these singers, but did he become more popular becasue of them (acknowledging, of course, that they too became much more popular because of the beauty of his words).

I wonder, therefore, what the dwindling status of ghazal singing might have on ghazal writing.

P.S. Yes, there are many other wonderful nazm poets who deserve more credit than they get. On my list, for example, are Munir Niazi (hamaisha dair kar daita houn mein), Iftikhar Arif (barhwaan khilari), Amjad Islam Amjad (agar kabhi meri yaad aaye, Himayat Ali Shayer (aeena dar aeena), just to name a few.

8. Fawad says:
    October 9th, 2006 12:27 am

Adnan, I am indeed Khawaja Zakariya’s son and much thanks for the kind words. I will convey them to my father who will be genuinely delighted to learn of your comments about Majeed Amjad.

Alavi Sahib: Thanks for engaging so thoughtfully with my blog post. The response requires more time and space than I can take here but I will make a couple of comments. You make two broad points. One, that poets go in and out of fashion and that does not mean that they have not been given recognition. Secondly, you make say that post-Iqbal poetry(ca 1938) is too broad a sweep in which to place Majeed Amjad as one of the leading poets.

On the first point I would have to disagree. Getting published in a few literary journals is hardly recognition. Even versifiers can and do get published in journals of literary merit. A slim volume of his poetry was all that was published in his lifetime, few in any mainstream literary movement even mentioned him as an accomplished poet and he virtually starved to death in complete obscurity in 1974. No M.A./Ph.D level research work was done on him until much later. Anyway, fashion in literature is indeed a factor but again many progressive poets have never suffered from a lack of attention (I would even put Ali Sardar Jafri in that category but these are personal preferences).
    Second, opinions in literature are always somewhat subjective. I stick by my “few greater poets” formulation. I wouldn’t know how to precisely rank all good Urdu poets (many of whom you mention) but as far as I am concerned amongst the poets that I am acquainted with Majeed Amjad ranks very highly. I do completely agree with you on Rashid and Meeraji. I would include them and Faiz amongst the best modern Urdu poets in the same category as Amjad (Rashid amongst these is at times the hardest for me to understand).
    There are a few poets you write about that I have not read. I have not read any works of Makhdoom, Majaz or Akhtar-ul-Iman and confess never to have heard of Ameeq Hanafi. Despite many decent poems between them, I certainly would not rank Akhtar Sheerani, Ali Sardar Jafri or Kaifi Azmi anywhere near Majeed Amjad. I think Nasir Kazmi (whom you don’t mention) is another good poet that should be mentioned in the next tier lineup.

9. Fawad says:
    October 9th, 2006 12:39 am

I think in our culture the singing of poetry has a lot to do with popularity. This typically means that the “Nazm” poets are more likely to be short-changed compared to ghazal virtuosos (Rashid, Majeed Amjad etc.). “Nazm” enables greater experimentation with new forms and hence can be less lyrical and not as easy or suited to set to music.

Amongst good poets, you bring up Munir Niazi. Another lesser known name is Shahzad Ahmad who is also quite good.

10. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 9th, 2006 12:56 pm

Without falling into this debate of who is better and who is not, I would say from the names listed above, in my opinion Nasir Kazmi and Munir Niazi are two jems of literature. Parveen Shakir gets the same rank too. Nasir Kazmi, depite getting a lot of recognition, also lived a life of poverty. Amjad Islam and Iftikhar Arif would be in second tier. Even though I dislike Iftikhar Arif’s very bad beaurocratic record and his efforts to stay in charge of pakistan academy of letters takes something away from him and his poetry. How long can you sell yourself with bharwaan khilari from the 70s and abhi kuch din lagayn ge from the 80s?

11. October 9th, 2006 5:40 pm

@ Mr Adnana Ahmad, I think you are shortchanging Iftikhar Arif on the basis of something that has nothing to do with his poetry. One’s humanity and literary skills (fortunately or unfortunately) are two separate issues altogether and confusing the two just makes for bad literary criticism. Iftikhar Arif (in my opinion) has written consistently good poetry his repertoire is far more wide ranging than just the two poems you have mentioned.

Your putting Parveen Shakir in the top tier also perplexed me. She may be one of the foremost names amongst women Urdu poetesses but most of her poetry does not manage to go beyond the yearnings of adolesecent sentimentalism even though to its credit it is mostly heartfelt and also speaks to the heart, but that in no way ranks her next to the likes of Nasir Kazmi or N M Rashid.

12. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 9th, 2006 8:10 pm

Sabahat, I deleted my first response here and am writing it again. There is no need to go into debate based on personal opinions. (Especially in a post about Majeed Amjad). Mine of course are influenced by the surroundings I grew up in. May be what I have read and heard about I Arif has made me biased in the way I look at his poetry. Parveen, in my opinion, was a great poet and has earned her name. But I think I did overstate her rank. Perhaps I just wanted her name to to be mentioned here. There is no question of comparing her with Nasir Kazmi! Again this will start an other unnecessary debate but perhaps Shahzad Ahmed, Zafar Iqbal, Saleem Kausar, Jamal Ahsani, Obaidullah Aleem, Jaun Elia (even though I think Obaid and Jaun were slightly a cut above), Amjad Islam and Parveen Shakir could be grouped together.

13. Adnan Ahmad says:
    October 9th, 2006 8:14 pm

Folks, There is an other name that has been making echoes in Karachi for a while and is a must read. His name is Ahmad Navaid.

14. October 9th, 2006 9:28 pm

I will leave the critical analysis to those who know this stuff better than me, but I do know that one Iftikhar Arif sheyr has sustained me for over a decade here in the US (maybe it is not the sheyr, maybe its just the way it resonates with me):

hum nay jabb wadi-e-ghurbat mein qadam rakha tha
    doour tak yaad-i-watan aaye thi samjhanay ko

15. October 9th, 2006 9:32 pm

On Majeed Amjad, I just cannot get the imagery of Maqbara-e-Jehangir out of my mind:

Khurdre, maile, phate kaproN meiN boorhe maali
    Yeh chaman band, jo guzre hue sultanoN ki
    HaddiaN seench ke phulwariaN mehkate haiN
    Ghaas kat ti hai ke din in ke kate jate haiN …

(that is about as taraqi pasand as you can get!)

16. October 10th, 2006 8:01 am

Azeezam Fawad Sahab,
    I think I need to clarify. Pure literary magazines are different from social or semi-literary magazines. And as Pakistan’s own maverick writer (Ahmad Hamesh of Tashkil magazine) pointed out, ”Raghib Muradabadi can come out with a hundred couplets on any subject ever day and each would be falling in the meter and perfect but that can’t be termed as literature or good poetry’.
    And I was just talking about poets of Nazm. Not ghazal. It is a unique aspect of Urdu poetry that Ghazal, which is just one of the genres of our poetry, has so dominated our literary scene that Nazm has been eclipsed.
    Adil bhai, yes, I agree. If only gale-baazi of a shaa’er or singing of his ghazals by well-known artistes would have been the measure of poetic ‘qad’, then surely Shakeel Badayuni would have been a great poet. But who remembers him? Not even in footnote.

Meanwhile, off the record: Recently somebody was saying that Ken Barrington scored at an average of 58 but is never considered a great batsman. Yeah Compton and Trumper with career average of 50 and just 39 respectively but are legends. So is it here also like Shakeel Badayuni…output is not all but quality…the manner in which you scored and the situations…ash’aar ki quality na ki sirf tukbandi…

I would soon paste Akhtarul Iman’s Nazms.

17. ALVIPERVAIZ says:
    October 10th, 2006 10:05 am

This is indeed interesting discussion. I agree. Post-Iqbal era would encompass every thing and every body including Hasrat Mohani,Abdul Hmeed Adm, Hafeez Jalandri and so on. It will be a too large of a canvas and too long of the time span for a fair comparison. Perhaps a better milestone to measure the journey of the Urdu poetry in Pakistan would be 1947. Pakistan embraced Urdu like no other country in the subcontinent did and that provided the level of patron-ship which the language deserved but had not received since 1857. In the last sixty years Pakistan has produced numerous good and many great poets. Many names have been mentioned here although not all. Missing from the discussion are the names of Nadeen Qasmi, Habib Jalab, Ahmad Faraz and Mustafa Zaidi to name few. Now who would be included in the group of great poets of the post-independence era could be an endless debate but interesting one nevertheless. Mr. Adnan Alavi(Alvi with an A) has given us a list of Urdu poets unfortunately lesser known to Pakistani readers and therefore difficult to recognize and evaluate. We have to take Mr. Alavi’s word for it. Even though in my personal opinion, non-Pakistani Urdu poets tend to be more ‘romantic’ and ‘traditionalist’.

18. October 10th, 2006 6:12 pm

Two nazms of Akhtarul Iman in his own voice at the following link
    And one Nazm I recently posted at

Unfortunately Ek Larka though available in English translation is not on net. And it is a tough task to type this long ghazal. Putting it for another day.

Pervaiz Sahab guftguu meN shaamil hone ke liye aapka bhi shukria. I am Alavi from Kakori, a town near Lucknow in UP.

19. ALVIPERVAIZ says:
    October 11th, 2006 11:29 am

Dear Adnan Alavi:
    like to communicate with you directly.
    You may contact me at ‘ALVIPERVAIZ@HOTMAIL.COM’.

20. saqibtahir says:
    November 12th, 2007 3:20 pm

Who says Majeed Amjad is less remembered. I remember him a lot (almost daily) since I read his book Shab-e-Rafts in my teen age. No doubt he is one of greatest poets of 20th century.

21. WAQAS says:
    February 19th, 2008 12:07 am

The Poetry of This Man is very good.

22. Ehsan Syed says:
    March 19th, 2008 1:51 am

Great words always pierce into hearts, thats why those hearts always live in hearts

23. umair salim says:
    July 15th, 2009 2:04 pm

Mujhe aansuon ke talab nahi
    Mujhe zindagi ke talash hai
    Jise dond kar bhi na pa saka
    mujhe phir usi ki talash hay
    Mujhe dusmano mein nay dhondna
    Mujhe doston mein talashna
    Mein Mohabbaton ka aseer hon
    Mujhe dosti ke talash hai
    Meri rah-e-azm-e talash main
    koi zindagi ka rafeeq ho
    Koi ansuon ka charagh de
    Mujhe roshni ke talash hai
    Mein bulandioon ka zameer hon
    Mein rafaqaton ka pasir hon
    Mujhe nafraton ki zamin par
    Doston ke talash hai……

24. Asadullah says:
    July 22nd, 2009 1:51 pm

Nice Poems

25. Kazmi says:
    December 13th, 2009 10:04 am

I remember a friend who used to recite Majeed Amjad’s poem on Lahore again and again… one of the most fascinating I have heard, but cannot find now…. any hints, guys?

26. Osman says:
    December 13th, 2009 11:01 am

very nice writeup. But there are so many other aspects of the mystery of Majeed Amjad. Hope you will also write on those.

27. Ahmer Muzammil says:
    December 13th, 2009 11:18 am

Excellent post fawad bhai. Baat kuch had tak haq par mabni hay magar almiya yeah hay k jin qaumoon par 6 dayhaiyoon tak aamriyatein apnay intahayi pur-tashadud kar-0-far say musalat hoon..vahaan waqayi koi intahayi satahayi darjay ki insaan dost baat bhi naqqar khanay mein tooti ki awaz ki manind awami pazeerayi haasil kar jaati hein.

Aam tor par jab ashaab jab iss nayhaj ka tabara bhayj tay hein jiss ka izhaar aapnay apnay iss jumlay mein kiya hay k “Progressive Writers Movement managed to turn everyone who knew the words ‘mazdoor’ or ‘kisan’ into literary giants” too unka ishara amooman jalib ki jaanib hotta hay, mayra husn-e-zan hay k aapka shayad yeah maqsad na hoo …magar hamein pakistan ki badqismat tareeq ko zaroor malhooz-e-khatir rakhna literature vacuum me payda nahi hotta. umeed hay aapko girran nahi guzrein gi mayri guzaarishaat.

28. Fawad says:
    December 13th, 2009 7:12 pm

Ahmer Sahib, my purpose in that statement was not about any particular poet but that movements sometimes unnecessarily elevate average literary accomplishment. I am personally a fan of both Jalib the person and Jalib the poet.

29. Fawad says:
    December 13th, 2009 7:28 pm

For those interested in reading more of Majeed Amjad’s poetry in Urdu on the internet, several of his poems are here:

Read “Tausee-e-Shehr” for a moving and sensitive poem on the destruction of nature’s treasures.

30. Irum says:
    December 13th, 2009 7:32 pm

There was something about this generation of modern poets that dies out with the generation : Majeed Amjad, Noon Meem Rashid, Ibn i Insha.

there was a certain voice of modernity in them that never really came back.

31. Arvind says:
    December 13th, 2009 10:52 pm

I don’t know Urdu. and I read these poems in devnagari script with meaning of difficult persian/arabic words footnoted in the bottom. I found ibn-i-insa’s poems most accessible. Just wanted to put it out there.

32. Nadeem Anjum says:
    December 14th, 2009 12:21 pm

Majeed Amjad.. comparison of Majeed with Faiz and so on, isn’t a good idea… may be critics do that for their bread n butter but why should we do such stupid things.. Poetry is there to celebrate.. rejoice and love… Reading a verse of Majeed or Faiz, gives me same immense pleasure and ecstasy, sync with my mood and surroundings..

Majeed, I think one of his Great admires is, Mustansar Hussain Tarrar.. He quoted a lot of Majeed’s Verses, if someone his the luck to read Tarrar’s novels, particularly, RAKH, he has quoted a beautiful poem by Majeed on Third Page….

33. Osman says:
    December 14th, 2009 11:31 pm

I wish you had written more about his personal life and all teh controversies about him.

34. Hira Mir says:
    December 15th, 2009 7:17 am

assets of Pakistan going to waste. The media should play a positive role here and reflect the good parts pf Pakistan rather than negativity 24/7 and encouraging the terrorists. If they give space to moderate elements then there will be a huge minimizing of terrorism I believe

35. December 15th, 2009 9:55 am

A new photograph and a video including Majeed sahib’s poetry recited by himself has been added to the post.

36. Fawad says:
    December 15th, 2009 4:14 pm

@ATP: thanks so much for including this video as I had not seen this before. This is indeed an extremely rare recording.

@Osman: I have included the outlines of his personal life but I am confused about your comment about controversies. Majeed Amjad was an intensely private and extremely introverted person and uncontroversial in almost all respects so it would be helpful if you could elaborate what you mean.

37. coolest gadgets says:
    October 1st, 2010 3:24 am

why we are not producing these sort of great poets now a days thats the sad news and big question mark :)

38. December 31st, 2010 12:32 am

December 31st, 2010.
    Dear Fawwad Zakariya Bhai:
    Assalaam Alaikum. I am a big fan of Majeed Amjad since 1977 when I bought and started reading Shab-e-Rafta kay Baad…. during my college days at Forman Christian College, Lahore.
    I have just launched my web site ( dedicated to modern Urdu poetry. Majeed Amjad will be the central attraction of my web site! I am also working on a screenplay depicting the life of this great poet.
    Your father, Mohtaram Dr. Khawaja Mohammad Zakariya is my hero since he compiled Kulliyaat e Majeed Amjad which was published by Mohtaram Khalid Shareef of Maawaraa in 1988!! (As an aside, Dr. Zakariya is also my distant Uncle since my father (Khawaja Mohammad Shafi) and the recently deceased Mrs. Shaista Kirmani (wife of Ahmad Saeed Kirmani) were first cousins.)
    But that is beside the point.
    The real reason I am writing to you is to have my request forwarded to your father. Dr. Zakariya noted in the preface to Kulliyaat e Majeed Amjad (p. 33) that he received a very valuable “register” or journal from Mr. Abdul Rasheed (the person who compiled Shab e Rafta kay Baad, the collection that came out immediately after Majeed Amjad’s death) . This journal or manuscript contains the entire early poems of Majeed Amjad. Due to space and time constraints, Dr. Zakariya only selected some of the poems from this early manuscript for publication in the Kulliyaat of 1988.
    I would like to request Dr. Zakariya to kindly make the contents of this journal/register/manuscript available to serious fans of Majeed Amjad. The best way would be to use a Hewlitt-Packard or HP scanner (priced around $80) and convert all of the 500 or so pages of this manuscript containing all early poems of Majeed Amjad into pdf files and upload it onto a web site so that everyone can gain access to it. I would like to offer my web site as a repository for this invaluable literary treasure.
    Please convey my message to your father. I can be reached via my email ( I look forward to hearing from you and especially from Dr. Zakariya.
    I would be most grateful for any help you can provide in making Majeed Amjad’s early work available to his fans.
    Warm regards
    Talat Afroze, Toronto, Canada.