How Large is Pakistan’s Great Flood?

Posted on September 29, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Disasters, Environment

It is difficult, even for Pakistanis, to fully comprehend the scale and size of Pakistan’s great flood. We can all imagine what a home, a locality, maybe even a city, looks like when submerged. But it is difficult for most people – especially those outside Pakistan – to imagine just how great is the ‘great’ in Pakistan’s great flood. Here are some pictures – created from the BBC’s Dimensions website – that might help you comprehend the incomprehensible.

The first map is of the United States and shows that the area of Pakistan’s 2010 floods would stretch nearly the entire United States from upstate Florida to the Canadian border with upstate New York. The next two maps place the area affected by the Pakistan’s floods on the map of mainland Europe – From Denmark down to Spain. The final map overlays the same on a map of Japan.

The maps speak for themselves. As do the numbers.

What can I add to this that I have not already?

18 Comments on “How Large is Pakistan’s Great Flood?”

1. Carolyn says:
    September 29th, 2010 10:25 am

Wow. Putting the flood area on the map of the US was truly astounding. I had not realized just how big this as been!

2. Imtiaz says:
    September 29th, 2010 4:53 pm

Very strong visuals. Nothing more to say once you see these pictures.

3. Yahya says:
    September 29th, 2010 6:08 pm

These pictures really bring the message home. I knew the floods were big but the USA map from canadian border into Flarida really stumped me and left me amazed at how enormous this tragedy is.

4. Brian says:
    September 29th, 2010 6:24 pm

When I first read that the flood affected area in Pakistan was greater than all of England, I could not (and did not believe) it. Seeing this I now realize just how big this flood is. My best wishes to all the people of Pakistan in this time of need.

5. qadir says:
    September 29th, 2010 7:39 pm

Please help, everyone.
    I know attention is moving away from floods for many people, but now is the time they need our help the most.

6. Jameel says:
    September 29th, 2010 10:19 pm

These floods have been one of the greatest catastrophe ever on a country and yet our media as well as our politicians have used even these for their own cheap point-scoring only.

7. Jamshed says:
    September 29th, 2010 10:26 pm

Very good way to represent the extent of what has happened. Woudl be better if we turned the shape into a regular shape (like a circle) to get a better sense of the real size of floods.

8. Humaira says:
    September 29th, 2010 11:06 pm

Can someone please tell me what is the area (in sq miles or sq km) affected by the floods? Thanks.

9. ASAD says:
    September 29th, 2010 11:43 pm

Humaira, the area affected is more than 160,000 square kilometers.

10. Tasleem says:
    September 29th, 2010 11:44 pm

Nice way to represent the area of damage. However, in this case the real number of think of is the people affected because these were some of the most populated places in the country.

11. September 30th, 2010 2:29 am

A great way to visually explain its impact – add to the equation the extreme poverty level and the repercussions are horrendous. I have been there multiple number of times every week since the start, My heart bleeds to see the suffering – and my heart aso wants to kill the politicians and the waderas who even stand to mint money from this disastrous event

12. September 30th, 2010 3:34 am
  13. Agha Asad Raza says:
    September 30th, 2010 11:03 pm

Years of corruption, neglect and wrong designs have contributed to these floods!
    Choke the flood plains of the rivers with housing schemes
    wrongly design the bridges
    Ignore the weather related data when building structures near rivers.
    Never clean the canals and barrages of silt.
    Do not grease the barrage gates for years and they DO NOT open when needed.
    Vote in corrupt people as your leaders.

THEN you blame God and weather????

14. Marty says:
    October 1st, 2010 12:27 pm

Boy. These maps are amazing. They were certainly surprising to me. I had just now realized how big this is.

15. Humair says:
    October 2nd, 2010 1:39 am

These maps are an eye opener not just for non Pakistanis but also for Paksitanis.

16. Humaira says:
    October 2nd, 2010 11:38 am

Great idea with the pictures. Could someone give a breakup of how much area and what percentage of area in each province is affected?

17. Pasha says:
    October 4th, 2010 12:46 am

These floods will change the future of Pakistan

18. October 7th, 2010 8:56 am

Indeed, these floods have changed Pakistan!!