Turning Despair on its Head: Very Smart. Very Nice. Very True.

Posted on August 15, 2010
Filed Under >Adil Najam, Economy & Development, Music, Poetry, Society

This new August 14 video from Zong is very well done. A very smart idea. Very well executed. And so very right in the message it conveys. Take a watch. Keep listening carefully, and if you know how to then read the text carefully. The magic lies there.

Hope, after all, is just turning despair on its head.

One should also take a moment here to acknowledge that there have actually been some wonderful television messages from telecommunication companies that have very elegantly tries to influence and improve the national conversation. A few that we have featured at ATP include: Mobink’s tribute to Mehdi Hassan Yeh Watan Tumhara Hai (here and here); Zong’s Sabb keh do on Pakistanis abroad (here); Zong’s Mother Day song (here); Mobilink’s tribute to Ustad Amanat Ali Khan Ae Watan, Piyare Watan (here); Mobilink’s tribute to Farida Khannum, Hum Bolain Mohabbat ki Zaban (here).

17 Comments on “Turning Despair on its Head: Very Smart. Very Nice. Very True.”

1. Faizan says:
    August 15th, 2010 4:23 pm

EXCELLENT INDEED.
    Mazza Aaa gaya. Thank you for sharing.

2. Humaira says:
    August 15th, 2010 4:33 pm

Very lever indeed.

First I thought, another depressing video. But by teh end I was invigorated.

3. Jabeen says:
    August 15th, 2010 4:42 pm

Bravo. Excellent find, ATP.
    Such a powerful message that speaks right to the heart.

4. Rabia Bashir says:
    August 15th, 2010 5:12 pm

Thought provoking and an awesome idea. Thanks for highlighting it.

5. Watan Aziz says:
    August 15th, 2010 6:03 pm

Very True.
    Very Nice.
    Very Smart.
    Turning Despair on its Head.
    Najam.
    Adil.

6. trim says:
    August 15th, 2010 7:56 pm

interesting but i dare say not original. i have read something like this on world peace a while ago

7. Majid says:
    August 15th, 2010 9:22 pm

Excellent Share!

8. USMAN says:
    August 16th, 2010 1:06 am

It surprised me. And then inspired me.
    Certainly the message got across very well.

9. Mustafa says:
    August 16th, 2010 7:10 am

It was just another typical Monday morning in London until I hopped on the tube to go to my office. Everything was working almost as clockwork until I noticed the picture on the Front Page of the morning Metro paper in the hands of a lady who just picked this unattended paper and sat next to me. We both looked at the front page probably at the same time and the world just stopped for me. Usually this front page gets turned in a second but this morning was different, very different. It seemed as if my heart just sank and probably the feeling was mutual with the reader of the paper.

20 minutes later, while climbing the escalators out of the station, I heard a public announcement for the collection of money/aid for my countrymen engulfed in yet another calamity. People would yet again throw their change in big buckets which would possibly provide for food and shelter, possibly but what about empowering our own people and becoming self-reliant? What’s the fault of this young kid for having to go through this? Granted disasters and tragedies are not new to nations but what’s the fault of this kid to be born in a society which doesn’t have any hope in store for him? I couldn’t resist asking myself if I am more responsible to do ‘something’ about this before people of other nations start throwing their change and take out their checkbooks, yet again! I got to be doing something different here. Even if it’s trying to create opportunity for a few back home, I got to be doing something different! It was definitely a very different Monday morning for me. One that I’d remember for times to come! I firmly believe that even God doesn’t help those who don’t help themselves!

10. Vinnie says:
    August 16th, 2010 11:30 am

Very Nice ! Full of Hope!

Excellent Idea. May Pakistan Prosper in future. I feel really sad over what is happening these days in Pakistan. The despair has taken our selves and only Hope can take us out of sadness.

11. Azra says:
    August 16th, 2010 3:26 pm

Nice one.
    I do think that this sense of depression is now itself taking a toll and needs to be changed.

12. Monkey says:
    August 16th, 2010 4:13 pm

Fantastic, fantastic ad. Please also feature the Ufone ad. It’s got a great voice-over. And a nice message too.

13. Asim says:
    August 16th, 2010 4:52 pm

I wish I didnt have to sound so pessimistic here and say, “we need to quit lieing to ourselves and start being practical….only that will fix all our problems…nothing else!”

by the way, it hurts to read post like http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_on_bi_ge/as_pakistan_floods where it says, “…government officials only handed out food when media were present.”, i wasnt there to witness that, however this is so easy to believe based on our past history.

14. Sadia Hussain says:
    August 17th, 2010 5:46 am

A beautiful message indeed, this tells us that in these gloomy times our unity and faith in our systems can bring back a prosperous Pakistan. Our resilience to catastrophes shows that we are a strong nation which will not give up to calamities or terrorism.

15. Asim says:
    August 17th, 2010 11:03 am

@Sadia Hussain

“…Our resilience to catastrophes shows that we are a strong nation which will not give up to calamities or terrorism.”

ummm…I think you missed the entire past 40 years news regarding Pakistan. We have never been able to come out of any catastrophe on any kind without begging the world for help/donations. We continue to honor corruot polictyicians and make them our PMs and presidents. We hate every other Pakistani who doesnt belong to our caste.

On top of that, 80% of our population will now think that these catastrophes are the result of us not following that path of Talibans/alqaeda/sunni tehreek, Jamate-e-islami and 1000′s of more mullah created orgs. the other 20% will think the exact opposite.

16. TAK says:
    August 30th, 2010 7:29 pm

A very good “copy”. The least that the ad agency could have done is to acknowledge the original Argentine version that won the Silver Lion at Cannes in 2006 ! The original is at:

And here is another knock off : http://www.swiss-miss.com/2010/01/lost-generation.html

But keep up the good work, Adil.

17. ASAD says:
    August 30th, 2010 11:44 pm

@TAK
    Actually, the Argentinian ad is not at all as well done as this one.
    And the Ad actually acknowledges throughout that it is based on earlier ads… see bottom right of the screen